2020 Day Trips! | Page 3 | GTAMotorcycle.com

2020 Day Trips!

I was pretty sure was a dry creek bed once in Pennsylvania.
Across ???!!!! heck ...GPS led us DOWN a dry creek bed in PA. Got turned around with some difficulty.
Was surprised how well the big Burgman handled the rocks.
Motorcycles are meant for riding ...who cares what they look like.

•••

Shane did around 300k today on the CBF so getting along better ...keep me posted even if I only go part way. I do like riding early.

Will know tomorrow after lunch what my Friday schedule is, but it's looking good so far for taking the day off work.

If I had a good looking bike like a Multistrada or the S1000xr, I might not ride gravel and want to keep it looking nice. Budget bikes are perfect for budget roads.

There's a few small sections I'm not sure about on the map posted earlier, so I'll do those another day. Just paved roads for this ride.

sweet forecast even early morning - summer gear in order. FWIW my fuel gauge is nothing short of useless on the CBF ( known issue ) so 250 km is my fillup limit which is one reason I bought the CB500x.
Screen Shot 2020-06-04 at Jun, 4    2020    7.52.05 AM.jpg

Last edited:
Got the day off so I'm finally going riding. Not going to head up to the 518 area, but over to Barry's Bay Area instead. Longer day and Leaving home at 6:30am. Anyone up for it, just message me.

Friday is looking better now, was calling for rain, but looks like it will blow over or rain overnight

Will know tomorrow after lunch what my Friday schedule is, but it's looking good so far for taking the day off work.

If I had a good looking bike like a Multistrada or the S1000xr, I might not ride gravel and want to keep it looking nice. Budget bikes are perfect for budget roads.

A 950 or 1260 Multistrada? I had to look that one on Youtube, beautiful bike but the downer is that its a Ducati.

And the S1000xr is hobbled with mechanical problems, right out from the dealership..... as seen from the video below;

Friday is looking better now, was calling for rain, but looks like it will blow over or rain overnight

Great news! Thanks, I also thought it was going to rain, might take my bike for a late afternoon-night ride tomorrow.

Last edited:
doh! just got around checking this thread. 6:30AM (yikes!). Where is the meetup point. :rolleyes:

Across ???!!!! heck ...GPS led us DOWN a dry creek bed in PA. Got turned around with some difficulty.
Was surprised how well the big Burgman handled the rocks.
Motorcycles are meant for riding ...who cares what they look like.

It wasn't called "Mountain Road" by chance, was it?

This was on our ill fated planned trip to the Dragon late last summer - forecast down there was for 4 straight days of torrential rain so we bailed and did a tour over to Lake Placid, skipped a few hours south, and then spent 3 days poking along all sorts of little roads here and there headed westward and back up through Buffalo. I'd plot about 2 hours at a time, then we'd stop for stretch and for food/gas/whatever, I'd plot a new section, and we'd go again.

At one point we were sitting at a Taco Bell eating lunch somewhere in PA and I plotted our next leg. There was this cool looking road on Google Maps that had lots of switchbacks and such in it that looked like it'd be hella fun.

So, off we went.

About 10-20KM into "mountain road" it turned out to be basically a hunt camp access road. Complete with hunt camps. And then the road disappeared and turned into what looked like a dry river bed. I stopped and looked back at the 2 buddies with me - one on his brand new FJR (First ride) and another on his Vstar 1100. I flashed the thumbs up/thumbs down signal and got thumbs up back. 30 seconds later my bike is banging rocks off the skid plate, my FJR friend is shaking his head but making progresss, and my older friend on his Vstar is pissing himself laughing as his bike banged and thumped over rocks and boulders, legs out like outriggers, headlight flashing everywhere.

We made it to the other side and the road went back and forth between dirt and asphalt for about another 10km till we got to the bottom of the mountain.

We still laugh about it to this day. Awesome memories.

Bikes all handled it admirably. Wish we had pictures. We're actually contemplating going back some day and there WILL be video.

A few months ago when we were having a laugh about the adventure over coffee one Sunday morning I went back through my Google location history and found the vicinity we were in, and then found the road.

My cellphone lost signal at some point as we went off the beaten path and the exact route we took got lost (as that's one feature that Google Maps does need cell service for, navigation aside), but I think we ended up on the "State Game Road" at one point as well and then came back around on the north side somewhere.

We had such a ball on that trip. No plan (the plan was for the Tail, so we were completely winging it for it's replacement), no schedule. A couple real gem motels, and at least 1 dud. Some great pizza in some little podunk town somewhere, cold beer after a long days riding, a few great sit down meals at little diners. Awesome trip. As much as we were all bummed we didn't get to do the tail (I went down later in the season myself) it ended up being a great trip in the end.

No idea and I wasn't navigating....height challenged buddy on a new Vstrom insisted and he had a ***** of a time getting turned around. He dropped that bike twice on that trip ...he was just too short.
However somewhere I do have a pic. Those are rocks not leaves but the wide but small tires ( 14" and 15" ) did fine.
Screen Shot 2020-06-05 at Jun, 5    2020    6.05.37 AM.jpg
I do recall getting hung up on a small stretch of sand at Long Point...paddling a 600 lb bike in soft sand with no traction was a lesson learned.

Hey Shane .....have fun ....I need a few more shorter day trips before I tackle an all day run. Hoping for a Port Dover, Port Colborne, Fort Erie, Niagara loop tomorrow...do need to work today but have a few tweaks for the CBF to install.

Last edited:
No idea and I wasn't navigating....height challenged buddy on a new Vstrom insisted and he had a ***** of a time getting turned around. He dropped that bike twice on that trip ...he was just too short.
However somewhere I do have a pic. Those are rocks not leaves but the wide but small tires ( 14" and 15" ) did fine.

Did a contest with our RC a few years ago to visit certain areas all over the province and snap a photo of you and your bike at it. One of the locations (between Cornwall and Ottawa somewhere, I forget exactly) looked like that road. At the beginning. It slowly went downhill to the point where it was rutted and washed out so bad we literally couldn't pass and had to walk the last .5KM. My buddy was riding an Indian Chief Vintage (another guy more concerned about fun than a stone chip on his bike) and actually got stuck in one section with a steep grade - had to come physically push him up the hill. :LOL:

yeah - I had to channel my old bashing about the bush on a 305 Hawk to get up one section but no clutch on the Burgman was one less thing to worry about. Momentum is critical.
Much harder to go downhill.

Looks like Shane will dodge the over development. Of course I nailed it and got damp. One tiny little storm cell :rolleyes:
Screen Shot 2020-06-05 at Jun, 5    2020    3.24.38 PM.jpg

Dodged some storm clouds on the way home and made it in at 7pm just as a big storm opened up over my house. 5 minutes later and I would have been drenched.
Was a really nice day out for riding.

Somewhere along South Baptiste Lake Road - check it out if you have never been - it's a beautiful ride from east to west.
IMG_3332-4K.jpg

Lovely - glad you got in without the damp. Had a good 380 km loop down to Niagara Falls and along the Niagara river and Lake Erie to Dover and home. Windy and with lake temps at 12 not few short sleeve riders were chilled I bet as wind was coming straight off the lake. Visited where I grew up and hardly recognised the area...so built up....even my dad's big garden plot had a house and no sign of the fruit trees left tho some of the trees around our house were still growing very well.
Snagged a hotdog and a loganberry shake at Crystal Beach. The latter brought memories.
Lots of buffeting straight into the wind to Dover. Picked up a wind deflector will try tomorrow.
Better handle on fuel use. Put in 13.5litres on a 19liter tank ( fuel gauge is bust ...common problem on the Biffers. )
I'd been filling up at 250 km but looks like 300 is okay.
Then a blitz home at pace on the 403 and QEW.

Mac we did the same and i just got home.
(my 4th trip there this year)
Started at Niagara on the Lake then down to Fort Erie then home.
Wonderful day and great temps.
Picked out a couple photo ops that I will check out on my next day off

Somewhere along South Baptiste Lake Road - check it out if you have never been - it's a beautiful ride from east to west.
When I saw the photo I thought it was Elephant Lake, but I see it's near there but diagonal, southish. Will have to go there. Thx! (y)

Back
Top Bottom