2019 Renewal - Increase? Allstate? Is this a joke? | Page 9 | GTAMotorcycle.com

2019 Renewal - Increase? Allstate? Is this a joke?

Same here. I have always bundled, but it was less expensive overall for me to use different insurance companies. A bit more work, but work is money.
Don't you know that bundling is illegal in Ontario? Nex time an insurance company tells you that you have to bring your car and your house to get motorcycle insurance let them know that you will be reporting them for violations of the Insurance Act to the province ombudsman.

Allstate wanted me to bring my vehicles with them, I told them to give me cheaper quotes than my current insurer, they said they couldn't match it, I told them to screw off then.

With Wawanesa. Up 8% this year. Of coarse no reason for it. Just because.

Don't you know that bundling is illegal in Ontario? Nex time an insurance company tells you that you have to bring your car and your house to get motorcycle insurance let them know that you will be reporting them for violations of the Insurance Act to the province ombudsman.

Allstate wanted me to bring my vehicles with them, I told them to give me cheaper quotes than my current insurer, they said they couldn't match it, I told them to screw off then.

It is illegal for them to force you to bundle (as in, not sell you a solo policy), but nothing stops them from giving you discounts for bundling or charging a stupid rate for a solo plan.

Just got my renewal from Allstate. 0 claims, perfect record, 11% increase across the board avg. This is on top of a housing increase of about 40% over the previous 2 years. When asked why, I was told 'inflation'. After briefly explaining to them how inflation works, there's really just no response. I'm a fan of data transparency, so here it is:

2016 F150 - $900 -> $990 (full)
2015 Golf TDI - $900 -> $1020 (full)
2010 VFR 1200 - $660 -> $730 (comp)
tiny house - $360 - $410

Allstate put my house up 10%. That was last month. That's still 50% lower than the next best estimate.
But, last week.
Car and truck up from $2000/yr to over $2600.
I've called a few places.
CAA is the early leader. $2100, and better liability coverage....2M instead of 1M.
I have till may 8th to decide.

Allstate put my house up 10%. That was last month. That's still 50% lower than the next best estimate.
But, last week.
CAA is the early leader. $2100, and better liability coverage....2M instead of 1M.

Unfortunately CAA doesn't insure bikes.

Just got my house/property and car (2010 STi) renewals. House: +10.5%, car: +5.7% w/Desjardins (formerly State Farm).

Bike renewal comes up in a month or two. Dreading it...

For those that are involved in the engineering world e.g. society of engineers, professional engineers of ontario, 'The Personal' insurance looks like they have competitive rates. I haven't called for the motorcycle rate yet (no online option). Truck was $200 cheaper, car was $100 more, house was the same (as Allstate) but $2M instead of $1M.

But, last week.

For the above, I went thru kanetix online, and was in touch with someone from an agency in welland within minutes.
After calling 3 places for quotes yesterday, I called caa directly, and saved an extra $200 on my car and truck by avoiding a broker.
True - they do not insure bikes.
Who knew? There's an extra credit for being claims free for 25yrs.

For those that are involved in the engineering world e.g. society of engineers, professional engineers of ontario, 'The Personal' insurance looks like they have competitive rates. I haven't called for the motorcycle rate yet (no online option). Truck was $200 cheaper, car was $100 more, house was the same (as Allstate) but $2M instead of $1M.
Hey smergy, any idea if they insure Supersports?

I haven't called them yet, so I can't say. I hate calling 1-800 numbers.

FWIW, couple of my friends went through auto insurance claims with TD and it was painless. In fact, one of the claims was a hit and run to my friend's car in a parking lot. He had no dashcam or proof that someone else hit his car. Despite this and the dealer's mechanic claiming that it was hit by someone else, TD passed the claim as a not-at-fault (he doesn't have accident forgiveness coverage either). Following year his rate dropped.
TD in terms of claims are flawless...I have had nothing but amazing...yes amazing experience band that 2 not at fault accidents in 2 years...I would never switch even with a slight increase.

You can thank all the fraud that happens and Catastrophe claims (windstorms etc) for the raise in premiums.

Being in the industry I see it all first hand.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

Hey smergy, any idea if they insure Supersports?

So I gave them a call. After getting surfed through phone menus, it looks like Desjardins is the backer for 'The Personal'. As mentioned house and truck were competitive, wife's care was $100 more.

2010 VFR 1200:
Stand alone (liability only, $1M) : $812/yr
Stand alone (liability $1M + $500 comp): $930/yr

If I add house (+ cars?) = 5% discount on the house (and cars?). I'd hazard to guess they insure SS, given they have in the past AFAIK.

In the end Allstate still wins out, but not by much, its pretty much a wash now.

So I gave them a call. After getting surfed through phone menus, it looks like Desjardins is the backer for 'The Personal'. As mentioned house and truck were competitive, wife's care was $100 more.

2010 VFR 1200:
Stand alone (liability only, $1M) : $812/yr
Stand alone (liability $1M + $500 comp): $930/yr

If I add house (+ cars?) = 5% discount on the house (and cars?). I'd hazard to guess they insure SS, given they have in the past AFAIK.

In the end Allstate still wins out, but not by much, its pretty much a wash now.
Good to know. Thanks!

What I ended up doing was cancel all policies with Allstate and moved car/house to Belair direct, and bike to TD. Saving quite a bit. In the summer, planing to move bike to Wawanessa for even more savings.

I would suggest giving Belair a call. Their rates, especially in the first year are pretty good. Sucks they don't insure bikes though.

CAA won my car and truck business. After >10yrs with allstate.
My daughter just got her car renewal. Was 220 / month with one major. She added a minor. Went from 220 / month, to 770 / month.
Enjoy the ebike kiddo....

My renewal with AllState is up in mid June.
Is this a good time to be shopping around? I'm 35, clean record:
18 VW GTI: $140ish/mth - full coverage
15 Street Triple Rx: $125ish /mth - full coverage
Tiny detached home in Toronto: $90 /mth

Do people mostly go through brokers, or you call each and every insurance company directly for a quote?

Back
Top Bottom