Site Supporter
just saw this commercial while watching UFC pre-lim fights

its the newest gatorade commercial

[video=youtube_share;7k-09k0slFg]http://youtu.be/7k-09k0slFg[/video]

i think he's missed more games than mario lemieux

you fuel, you train, you cant take a hit

Unfortunately, you cannot train to take a harder hit. As with the UFC, there are some top level fighters that have glass chins and there is nothing they can do about it. There was an article on Sherdog about it a while back and it basically comes down to the facial bone structure. If you don't have it, there is no way to fix it.

Unless something changes in the NHL, Crosby's career is going to be severely shortened by his susceptibility to concussions. Hopefully he is smart and gets out before he gets some serious permanent damage.

Unfortunately, you cannot train to take a harder hit.

i have a theory about this, actually. I wonder how many people have considered this :

way back when, before the gov't put rules in place regarding certain things, people lived a little differently.

we didnt have to wear helmets while riding our bicycles and skateboards, there wasnt a seat belt law until the mid 70's
there were no baby seats for cars either, kids were allowed to eat peanut butter in school ( and throw snowballs )
and so on.

now those kids grew up fine, and maybe went on to play professional sports. The Kids from that era would now be at retirement age from the game, or getting close to it.

the ones we see playing today, are from the age of mandatory helmets on bikes , and pro-active safety, no contact timbit hockey etc.
they are not used to getting their bell rung as a kid.

the reason there are so many concussions nowadays, is because they grew up wrapped in bubblewrap.

and for those that say the players are bigger,faster, equipment is harder etc..

take any player from the NHL or NFL in the 60's, 70's, or 80's and put em against todays wimpy players. and we'll see who was tougher.

players nowadays take a week off from a blister, or a cut, and even a hangnail !

im not saying every single player from now is a wimp, but the majority are. and i bet all the oldtimers that watch just shake their heads in shame

we didnt have to wear helmets while riding our bicycles and skateboards, there wasnt a seat belt law until the mid 70's
there were no baby seats for cars either, kids were allowed to eat peanut butter in school ( and throw snowballs )
and so on.

now those kids grew up fine, and maybe went on to play professional sports. The Kids from that era would now be at retirement age from the game, or getting close to it.

I get what you're saying. Now think about the kids that died because they weren't wearing all that safety equipment. I agree more with your sentiment, however, don't forget to look on the other side of the coin. I know I wouldn't want my kid dying because he wasn't wearing a helmet riding his bike.

i have a theory about this, actually. I wonder how many people have considered this :

way back when, before the gov't put rules in place regarding certain things, people lived a little differently.

and so on.

the ones we see playing today, are from the age of mandatory helmets on bikes , and pro-active safety, no contact timbit hockey etc.

the reason there are so many concussions nowadays, is because they grew up wrapped in bubblewrap.

take any player from the NHL or NFL in the 60's, 70's, or 80's and put em against todays wimpy players. and we'll see who was tougher.

players nowadays take a week off from a blister, or a cut, and even a hangnail !

im not saying every single player from now is a wimp, but the majority are. and i bet all the oldtimers that watch just shake their heads in shame
I do not think players taking time off has anything to do with being wimps.

Sport science has learned a lot about injuries over the years. Many athletes of yesteryear that their careers severely shortened due to injuries and coming back too soon. The goal of any player is have a long and illustrious career. When you get paid many millions a year, you're not going to jeopardize that to come back for 2 games mid season.

In Crosby's case he is risking brain damage if he plays with a concussion. It just isn't worth it.

As far as the players being bigger and stronger today, I agree. Fitness in today's sports is at a different level from the 70s and 80s.

Last edited:
just saw this commercial while watching UFC pre-lim fights

its the newest gatorade commercial

[video=youtube_share;7k-09k0slFg]http://youtu.be/7k-09k0slFg[/video]

I'm guessing he's taken many hits over the years?

Unfortunately for him he took 2 a few days apart.

and so on.

Your out of your mind.

In general players are big and stronger now than they ever were.

Your out of your mind.

In general players are big and stronger now than they ever were.

comprehend much ?

i never said they werent. of course they are... i am questioning their toughness.

comprehend much ?

i never said they werent. of course they are... i am questioning their toughness.

Hard to compare toughness when they are getting rocked by a whole new bread of player.

Ohh ya and we all want debilitating injuries as a result of our job don't we?

Hard to compare toughness when they are getting rocked by a whole new bread of player.

Bread?

comprehend much ?

Dude you can't train for concussions. Where are you going with this tough guy stuff? You can't flex your cranium fluid even if you are from 60's, 70's, or 80's.

BTW do you actually do any sports or are you a couch tough guy? In most sports you come to appreciate the protective equipment quickly.

Last edited:

and so on.

OK oldtimer.

So your theory is that government is to blame for Sid's inability to play. Is there anything you don't blame government for?

Contrast that with another theory; mankind is learning more about things every day, including risks to our health. While we all like to belive the world was a perfect place when we were shag happy and worry free, the world is actually improving with time and that necessarily means we are reducing the risks we face as we identify them.

Or it could be a big conspiracy. Either/or I guess.

irrelevant. the players from yesteryear were hit by players their own size.

Dude you can't train for concussions. Where are you going with this tough guy stuff? You can't flex your cranium fluid even if you are from 60's, 70's, or 80's.

BTW do you actually do any sports or are you a couch tough guy? In most sports you come to appreciate the protective equipment quickly.

i guess you missed it with the toughness part. they didnt "train" for concussions, but they got used to getting hit hard.
the kids that play now arent used to it.

you dont see too many older players getting knocked out with concussions, do you. sure you might name a couple, but mostly its the younger kids.

Do i do any sports ? not currently. But i used to. I played on a Champion rugby team for 4 years, played elite levels of hockey and soccer
and i was also on the school wrestling team for a few years.
now i sit on the couch and watch tv. so i guess i am a Couch tough guy lol

OK oldtimer.

So your theory is that government is to blame for Sid's inability to play. Is there anything you don't blame government for?

Contrast that with another theory; mankind is learning more about things every day, including risks to our health. While we all like to belive the world was a perfect place when we were shag happy and worry free, the world is actually improving with time and that necessarily means we are reducing the risks we face as we identify them.

Or it could be a big conspiracy. Either/or I guess.

no, i dont blame the government. they only have these rules in place to prevent lawsuits from people being hurt on public property.

did i ever wear a helmet riding my BMX ? No, i dont know anyone that ever did, there wasnt a law for it. I also dont know anyone that ever killed because of no helmet. i know alot of people that took a few good wipeouts, and needed some stitches though.

Back
Top Bottom