Yay....more home reno fun.... | Page 4 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Yay....more home reno fun....

Alrighty, back to it! Happy to report the new furnace has made a massive difference and we are no longer freezing in our own home. The bills so far haven't been massive (approx 180/month max so far) for Enbridge...but that's not too bad.

A few other items I'm working on and am hoping for some suggestions....

1. Wifi seems to have a few dead spots in the house. We are considering one of those wifi mesh systems...anyone have experience with that? Or something along those lines to properly set up the entire house. I assume it's the block walls that are having the largest effect. We have those white cube Rogers modem/router combos.
  2. Trying to wall mount a tv in the basement above the chimney. However, the old owner made the hole in the rock (decorative pieces glued onto cement board) only 7x16" and the bases for anything over 40" need more space. Thinking of putting in a wooden base to fit that space and then a larger wood base to hold it all up...thoughts?
  3. Thinking of going to a 200A panel on the house. Along with a sub-panel to the laundry as the previous owner move the panel out to the garage for whatever reason...and I have junction box after junction box in the basement. It's a mess, and as mentioned before I don't have a ground in many outlets so outside of re-wiring the entire house, may just set this up at the panel.
Thanks!

A hard wired access point throughout the house is your best option. One on each floor at least
For all my clients I install a POE access point on each floor. As central to the floor as possible.
Each units works in conjunction with the other and there is no dead spots or drop off connection when moving around the house.
Hardware wise.m, there are many options. Depending on budget etc

I never I hear back about wifi issues

TV
Today’s TVs are much lighter then before
You need proper support but you do not need to build a new block wall for your TV mounting ;)

200A
Not sure where you live but 200A may not be allowed by the hydro provider

125A might be the max they will allow for
This usually happens in older neighborhoods.

check your PM

Alrighty, back to it! Happy to report the new furnace has made a massive difference and we are no longer freezing in our own home. The bills so far haven't been massive (approx 180/month max so far) for Enbridge...but that's not too bad.

A few other items I'm working on and am hoping for some suggestions....

1. Wifi seems to have a few dead spots in the house. We are considering one of those wifi mesh systems...anyone have experience with that? Or something along those lines to properly set up the entire house. I assume it's the block walls that are having the largest effect. We have those white cube Rogers modem/router combos.
  2. Trying to wall mount a tv in the basement above the chimney. However, the old owner made the hole in the rock (decorative pieces glued onto cement board) only 7x16" and the bases for anything over 40" need more space. Thinking of putting in a wooden base to fit that space and then a larger wood base to hold it all up...thoughts?
  3. Thinking of going to a 200A panel on the house. Along with a sub-panel to the laundry as the previous owner move the panel out to the garage for whatever reason...and I have junction box after junction box in the basement. It's a mess, and as mentioned before I don't have a ground in many outlets so outside of re-wiring the entire house, may just set this up at the panel.
Thanks!
oioioi had some good answers.

1. For my house, I have multiple wireless access points, but can get away with only using the main one. The others were remnants of systems past and are being used as bridges. I initially had the wireless router in the garage near a block wall and couldn't pick it up at the back of the house. Raising the router 8' put it adjacent to a stud wall and now it covers the entire house. If you are going mesh, read reviews. Mesh seems like a great idea but it is expensive and many people report innumerable issues/failures with much of the hardware.

2. Your idea may work. What kind of mount are you planning on using? If you are using a flat mount, it is hard to go wrong as there is very little leverage. If using a full motion mount, you can get the weight a few feet off the wall and mounting becomes more critical. I am assuming you have 7" tall and 16" wide? Hopefully the 16" catches two studs and isn't just a random 16"?

3. How much power is coming in to your house? You may be able to check the electric meter and/or wire size headed to the current panel to get an idea. I'm no electrician, but I don't think you can just whack a big panel on a small service. Subpanel seems like a great idea to minimize rewiring pain. Make sure it is done properly, neutral and ground cannot be bonded together in the subpanel.

My current panel is in the garage and it is definitely not my preferred location. It creates 100 penetrations that need to be smoke and fire sealed. On the upside, dropping a few more circuits in the garage or adding heat or vehicle charging is simple. I'd rather have a 100A subpanel in the garage and the main panel in my house though. One penetration, sufficient power for garage needs.

If I was putting in a new panel now, I would definitely configure for a standby generator even if you don't put one in right away. It requires some planning in which circuits you want on the generator. You can get panels that combine generator backed and grid only circuits. Retrofitting is a mess so if you are starting from scratch, you might as well make your future life easier.

IIRC (and I may be wrong), I think you can use GFCI on ungrounded outlets and they will trip. This is a better solution than nothing and could work as an interim step, but it is expensive and I would prefer properly wired outlets.

I can't remember if electric vehicle charging was in your plan or not, but regardless of code, I think putting a smoke detector in the garage tied to activate the interior alarms is a great idea. Probably smoke only, not CO as it may get more nuisance trips. Hell, with a little ingenuity you could probably wire the smoke to only be active when the garage lights were off preventing nuisance trips if you are working in the garage.

For any electrical advise above, consult someone that knows code and what they are doing (preferably an electrician) before implementing any of my hair-brained ideas.

A hard wired access point throughout the house is your best option. One on each floor at least
For all my clients I install a POE access point on each floor. As central to the floor as possible.
Each units works in conjunction with the other and there is no dead spots or drop off connection when moving around the house.
Hardware wise.m, there are many options. Depending on budget etc

I never I hear back about wifi issues

TV
Today’s TVs are much lighter then before
You need proper support but you do not need to build a new block wall for your TV mounting ;)

200A
Not sure where you live but 200A may not be allowed by the hydro provider

125A might be the max they will allow for
This usually happens in older neighborhoods.

check your PM
I believe the term you want to use is a sub-panel, that implies that the switched circuit is already fused and or gfi protected & whatever at the main panel. Makes it pretty hard for you to mess up real bad in the relative realm of hydro connections.

Access points should be hard wired.
(Receiving a wired signal and than distributing the wireless)
WiFi boosters are the last resort but usually do not improve the wifi signal enough to make it worthwhile. All they really do is take an already weak wifi signal and add a little bit of juice and claim to make it 100% better.
In that note
WiFi is only good for devices that cannot be hardwired (mobile phone, tablet, thermostat etc)
Any device that is a “permanent” device (TV, iPTV, computer etc ) should be hardwired when possible
Of course more costly but better performance. No issues with streaming etc
The reason why Netflix switches between “HD” and standard definition is because it’s wifi signal is weak and it’s cannot pull in enough HD quality data to display it.
This is especially evident when the entire family is using WiFi.

Access points should be hard wired.
(Receiving a wired signal and than distributing the wireless)
WiFi boosters are the last resort but usually do not improve the wifi signal enough to make it worthwhile. All they really do is take an already weak wifi signal and add a little bit of juice and claim to make it 100% better.
In that note
WiFi is only good for devices that cannot be hardwired (mobile phone, tablet, thermostat etc)
Any device that is a “permanent” device (TV, iPTV, computer etc ) should be hardwired when possible
Of course more costly but better performance. No issues with streaming etc
The reason why Netflix switches between “HD” and standard definition is because it’s wifi signal is weak and it’s cannot pull in enough HD quality data to display it.
This is especially evident when the entire family is using WiFi.
The current house has CAT5 wired to a number of locations but very few where I would actually want them. I put stationary devices on the 5 GHz network and put all the roaming devices on the 2.4 GHz. The 5 doesn't cover the entire house, but it is still faster than the 2.4 where the stationary devices are and that avoids congestion issues. I wouldn't argue against hard wired being better, but I have had zero issues in over a year with only wireless.

2. You’re going to want to mount directly into the joists or other solid structure.

This fully-articulating mount is 6 1/2 x 17” so very close to your existing opening. Could you possibly enlarge the opening by approx. 1” ? The tv is most likely going to cover it anyways.

I’ve got a 50” LG on it but the box says it can do up to 65”.

Cheetah Model APDAM3B2 and I believe I got it on Groupon for around $40

588677e5703b203c16574d495e8c45b7.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

For the wifi, I have a 3150 sq ft home and with a decent router, on the main floor in the den, my kids would still complain of poor reception at the far corners of their bedrooms.

I replaced the main router with a tp-link AC5400 which was a big upgrade at the time and still had the occasional issue.

So I placed a second ASUS RTAC55U AC1200 router upstairs in the hall and run it through the TP-Link...and no more issues.

Cool thanks for the suggestions and prompt responses everyone.

@oioioi Great idea with the hard wired AP. I've considered that but not sure about routing. Anyway will respond to your email shortly.

@Robbo Thanks...will look into that one. All the ones I saw at BB yesterday had much larger bases and that would mean ripping out a lot of the decorating stones. There appears to be a wood backing behind the cement board. Don't think they're studs...but I can't see through the tiny port that they have.

@GreyGhost Thanks for the detailed response. I have an electrician coming in today. We have about 10 wires going from the panel in the garage, to the inside of the house, and they're all over the place. I want to clean it up. I'll confirm with him about the 200A service. Yes, we are planning on going to an EV again in the future, so I want to ensure I have enough space for upgrade with time. Plus a possible hot tub, or a 200V line to the shed. I believe the previous owner had some lights for weed back there as there seems to be a missing line/breaker.

@Trials Yes, the sub-panel is something that I want primarily because some of the lines do not have grounds, and I can get this setup at the start of the line, instead of trying to re-wire the entire house. Although I'll have the electrician take a look today also to see what can be done.

EDIT: @Robbo Just re-measured it...it's 8" x 17.75" exactly on the inside. So that mount should work. Where did you get it?

Last edited:
Cool thanks for the suggestions and prompt responses everyone.

@oioioi Great idea with the hard wired AP. I've considered that but not sure about routing. Anyway will respond to your email shortly.

@Robbo Thanks...will look into that one. All the ones I saw at BB yesterday had much larger bases and that would mean ripping out a lot of the decorating stones. There appears to be a wood backing behind the cement board. Don't think they're studs...but I can't see through the tiny port that they have.

@GreyGhost Thanks for the detailed response. I have an electrician coming in today. We have about 10 wires going from the panel in the garage, to the inside of the house, and they're all over the place. I want to clean it up. I'll confirm with him about the 200A service. Yes, we are planning on going to an EV again in the future, so I want to ensure I have enough space for upgrade with time. Plus a possible hot tub, or a 200V line to the shed. I believe the previous owner had some lights for weed back there as there seems to be a missing line/breaker.

@Trials Yes, the sub-panel is something that I want primarily because some of the lines do not have grounds, and I can get this setup at the start of the line, instead of trying to re-wire the entire house. Although I'll have the electrician take a look today also to see what can be done.

EDIT: @Robbo Just re-measured it...it's 8" x 17.75" exactly on the inside. So that mount should work. Where did you get it?

You can try google it. I bought mine through the Groupon app. They also sell it on Amazon.ca through third party sellers.

this may be an option for the TV mount
I have one for the bedroom TV - very happy with it
single vertical mounting point that takes 3 screws
so you only have to find one stud - but it has to be a stud

Thanks. I'll check if it's an actual stud there...looks like it, but can't see behind the cement board. If it is, I'll go check it out.

The Cheetah one also looks promising.

The current house has CAT5 wired to a number of locations but very few where I would actually want them. I put stationary devices on the 5 GHz network and put all the roaming devices on the 2.4 GHz. The 5 doesn't cover the entire house, but it is still faster than the 2.4 where the stationary devices are and that avoids congestion issues. I wouldn't argue against hard wired being better, but I have had zero issues in over a year with only wireless.

I'm running Google WiFi with the 3 pucks and it works incredibly well and require little to no intervention after they are setup. They easily cover over 3000' of interior & exterior. They use separate radios to connect to each other so they do not eat up usable bandwidth like 'repeaters' or 'boosters'. I was prepared to hard wire my GoogleWifi together but they work pretty great wirelessly.

I'm with Teksavvy and had everything turned off on the router they supplied me so I let Google take care of the rest.
I picked mine up from Costco and I was ready to send them back if they didn't do what they promised. They are amazing and I recommend them to everyone.

Thanks. I'll check if it's an actual stud there...looks like it, but can't see behind the cement board. If it is, I'll go check it out.

The Cheetah one also looks promising.

After you click on the Walmart link from JF, scroll down and there’s a mount from PrimeCables that looks almost identical to the Cheetah for an amazing price .

I'm running Google WiFi with the 3 pucks and it works incredibly well and require little to no intervention after they are setup. They easily cover over 3000' of interior & exterior. They use separate radios to connect to each other so they do not eat up usable bandwidth like 'repeaters' or 'boosters'. I was prepared to hard wire my GoogleWifi together but they work pretty great wirelessly.

I'm with Teksavvy and had everything turned off on the router they supplied me so I let Google take care of the rest.
I picked mine up from Costco and I was ready to send them back if they didn't do what they promised. They are amazing and I recommend them to everyone.
My parents, and brother in law, have the pucks and love them. I was reading a few things that they slow down transmission rates, but dad wouldn't know the difference, and BIL is away for a few weeks so won't bother him with this while he's gone.

My parents, and brother in law, have the pucks and love them. I was reading a few things that they slow down transmission rates, but dad wouldn't know the difference, and BIL is away for a few weeks so won't bother him with this while he's gone.
It also won't bother him if you steal his pucks for a test run :)

Back
Top Bottom