Yamaha Super Tenere | GTAMotorcycle.com

Yamaha Super Tenere

Wingboy

Site Supporter
With very limited time available in my life for riding, my Ducati wasn't suited to my needs. Changing belts and shims can always be done in the winter, but I'm tired of it. Looking for a replacement meant i needed to tick some boxes.
No inline 4's. No euro bikes with sketchy dealer networks. At least 1k cc.
Started looking in March, and the news was full of HD hype about the Pan Am. It ticked all the boxes and i put a deposit on one. Seven weeks later, HD sales staff were really reluctant to give me hard numbers of costs and dates. Buh bye.
Right next door is the Yamaha dealer.
Looking at the numbers, the S10 fits nicely. Shaft drive,42,000km valve checks and adv style which means simple regular maintenance. Proven eleven yr old design. Cruise, heated grips, adjustable seat and electronic suspension.
The Pan Am was $24 base price but a few farkles put it over $30. The S10 was$18500 base.
First impression riding was good. I was very surprised that the 600lb weight wasn't more evident esp compared to my lightweight Duc. But it felt very wallowy and boring in the twisties. Boosting the preload up and increasing the damping totally changed it.
With the windshield all the way up and the cruise set, it feels just like my old 1800 Wing!
The 1200 parallel twin with 270deg crank is just perfect. Gobs of torque everywhere.(100hp is enough)
23l tank. Yes please.
Power port in the dash for phone.
Yamaha quick mount hard cases and luggage rack. Second luggage rack when passenger seat is removed.
My Denali D4 lights that were on my Duc were installed on it right away (conspicuity and because mc lights suck) but my first night ride was a huge surprise. The S10 has projector lights. High beam is even better than the Wing. And with the denalis on, It's like daylight.
Can't comment on it's abilities in the dirt. Imho 600lb bikes don't belong there.
Don't count on me for any long term reviews. I'll be lucky to put 3,000km a year on it.
PADCFjE.jpg

Great bikes - my old boss rode one to Tuktoyaktuk a couple of years ago.
All he's put on it are tires and brakes, along with the brake switch recall.

That's a very nice bike and congratulations on getting it. The colours and lines on the bike are nice and smooth.

Did you put those wind deflectors on as aftermarket, or do they come OEM? Seems like they would do wonders for reducing wind buffeting and provide some additional weather protection.

How is the ease of performing maintenance on it at home vs needing to take it to the dealer? Regular things like brakes, tires, and oil?
I'm always curious about the level of electronic aids now on bikes and how much that affects our ability to do our own basic maintenance.

That's a very nice bike and congratulations on getting it. The colours and lines on the bike are nice and smooth.

Did you put those wind deflectors on as aftermarket, or do they come OEM? Seems like they would do wonders for reducing wind buffeting and provide some additional weather protection.

How is the ease of performing maintenance on it at home vs needing to take it to the dealer? Regular things like brakes, tires, and oil?
I'm always curious about the level of electronic aids now on bikes and how much that affects our ability to do our own basic maintenance.
The side deflectors are Yamaha accessories. Expensive, but i read that they are worth it. I tried it with and without, they make a significant difference. I might get the 2" higher windshield. The stock one is at the highest position (5 positions) and i need just a bit more. The adjuster is kinda goofy, but how often do you adjust a windshield really? Maintenance should be a breeze. Dry sump system will be a bit odd to get used to. Oil filter is right up front which is why i put a bash plate and fender extender on it. Rear drive fluid is simple to change. Valve checks at 42k.
One of the best things about the bike is conventional electrical. No canbus that needs expensive diagnosis and accessory wiring.
The only negative is the slope of the seat. I'm going to fix it with different sized rubbers that are coming this week.

They are very similar. Doesn't have the BMW ownership prestige tho. Lol

BMW riders are all posers anyway. They basically just ride their bikes to and from the Starbucks all the while pretending to be Ewan McGregor on their 10-minute ride down the street.

"I'm taking the Long Way Down to the coffee shop!"

BMW riders are all posers anyway. They basically just ride their bikes to and from the Starbucks all the while pretending to be Ewan McGregor on their 10-minute ride down the street.
I belonged to the BMWMOA many years ago. The people were a lot of fun to be around. Didn't care how young or old.
Then i bought the Wing. Totally different story with the GWRRA. that group was all about "cheap"!

I belonged to the BMWMOA many years ago. The people were a lot of fun to be around. Didn't care how young or old.
Then i bought the Wing. Totally different story with the GWRRA. that group was all about "cheap"!

I would not have guessed that, after buying a $30K motorcycle and all...

We were very surprised. They were all about finding the cheapest motel and greasy spoon while spending thousands on lights and chrome. Only went on one Sunday afternoon ride. Parade mode at exactly the speed limit. If you scraped a peg, you would get a talking to. No thanks!

Just to reiterate WingBoy, 99% of it is dead simple. Oil changes, rear drive, brake fluid's are as simple as any other bike. Lower side panels are held on by allen head dzus fasteners. Plugs are in a tightish spot but can be done within an hour. Electronic suspension is basically stepper motors in the caps, I don't think they're much different internally from normal stuff.

The hard one is the valve adjustment though it doesn't need to be done for a while. Everything I've read makes it sound like an absolute PITA, by normal Yamaha standards that is. I've been slacking on mine and it's eating away at me.

the utility of a GS with Yamaha dead-nuts reliability
nice ride
And both equally uninspiringly boring so I've been told. I've spoken to people who've sunk a bunch of change into ecu reflash, exhaust, etc to bring out the power in the S10 and they like it better. Depends what you want I suppose bit ether way it is a big heavy but reliable mile muncher.

^ thread here a few days ago about torque curves
ADV bikes, especially full sized ones
have as flat as possible a usable torque curve

need to be usable at low speed/RPM and drag the 600lbs + rider around on semi-rough terrain
yet still capable of highway touring and passing

nothing made for everything is really good at one thing

This was on my shortlist when I was looking for my ST1100 replacement. Great bike, you'll be very happy with it.

Back
Top Bottom