Yamaha R3 Tire Recommendations | GTAMotorcycle.com

Yamaha R3 Tire Recommendations

arogal

I commute daily to work during the weekdays (90 km daily) and ride more spirited on weekends. I have the stock Michelin Pilot Streets on it right now. They seem "ok" but I don't feel super planted on them, and they don't grip as much as I'd like. Main reason I need new tires is because I noticed the previous owner put a plug in the rear tire. Either he did it, or got a shop to do it....anywho, I just don't feel comfortable knowing there's a plug in there without knowing who performed the work.
What tires would you recommend for weekday commuting and spirited weekend riding? I was looking into the Battlax S20 Evo's and Diablo Rosso II's, but I'm not sure how many km's I'll get out of these as they are more of a sport tire, and I'll be using them for commuting also.
Help a newb out. Thanks!

you are new, learn to ride, current tires are fine
you don't know what spirited riding is yet, work on bike control and slow speed riding
always ensure tires are warmed up before cornering hard

p.s. check your tire pressures

you don't know what spirited riding is yet, work on bike control and slow speed riding

LOL. Classic GTAM. -D- knows his stuff. 3,600 posts and counting.

Anyways.... I'd think S20 EVOs or Rosso IIs are not the best match (or even available) for the tire size you need. I really liked Pirelli Sport Demons on my old Ninja500. A plug alone is plenty good enough reason to change tires. I'd recommend something out of the Sport Touring category of tires for sure. The 'planted' feeling could also be suspension related. Definitely check tire pressures, as -D- suggested.

p.s. check your tire pressures

Ya K

Last edited:
What year is your R3 ?

Anyways.... I'd think S20 EVOs or Rosso IIs are not the best match (or even available) for the tire size you need. I really liked Pirelli Sport Demons on my old Ninja500. A plug alone is plenty good enough reason to change tires. I'd recommend something out of the Sport Touring category of tires for sure. The 'planted' feeling could also be suspension related. Definitely check tire pressures, as -D- suggested.

They are available for the tire size I need. The Rosso III's aren't.
https://fortnine.ca/en/bridgestone-battlax-s20-evo-radial-rear-tire
https://fortnine.ca/en/bridgestone-battlax-s20-evo-radial-front-tire
https://fortnine.ca/en/pirelli-diablo-rosso-ii-rear-tire
https://fortnine.ca/en/pirelli-diablo-rosso-ii-front-tire

I check tire pressure every time before I ride. I guess I should have said that after tires are heated up in the twisties (snake road/ancaster area) I have felt the back tire chirp a bit. Just want something a bit more sticky.
Thanks for your recommendation though, I'll check those tires out!

Right at the end of last year i installed a new sets of tires Metzeler Sportec m7 rr
the reviews are nice - but unfortunately i can't give you my own opinion yet;)

I've worked on a few of the R3'.

So a few things to note:

The tires that came on the bike - they are Michelin Pilot Street.
Michelin makes two versions of this tires.
i. Pilot Street - they are bias ply.
ii. Pilot Street Radials - they are radials.

I have not carefully paid attention to if the OEM tire was a radial or not.

Both Radial and the Bias-Ply both have the same thread pattern - so they look similar
This R3 - the owner was still using the stock tires..

16114564_1424233377621492_8747827683860369606_n.jpg

This Other R3 ' - owner choose to remove the stock Pilot Streets but also go up to 150wide and go with a sticky tire...

140 VS 150
=======
13304966_1194405693937596_2869507292917224600_o.jpg

The larger size cleared all the components in the rear and the owner is super happy with the sticker tire.

13322185_1194405733937592_8761849269812292658_n.jpg

Album Link: https://www.facebook.com/pg/motomechto/photos/?tab=album&album_id=1194405710604261

14495521_1287327971312034_1847717196559172056_n.jpg

I think that tire was a Dunlop if I am not mistaken.
But there are several options for stickey tires.

But remember
Sticky = shorter life
If you commuite a lot - you might want to stick to a touring type of tire if you want long life.

But if you want grip at a small price of life - get something stickey!

EDIT:You might be limited to the choice of tires for a 140 rear , but if you go with 150 rear - you will have more choices.
Since the 150 wide fits - you can go with it.

150 wide is not fun to install but its possible.

Last edited:

Thanks, however posts counts are not relevant, more than half are for personal amusement.

I had 2 plugs on my scooter's rear tire.
If it's plugged from the inside (mushroom plug) then non issue but if you don't trust it then do what makes you feel better.

The roads you posted are beginner's riding...and not a place to be doing high speed runs as it's residential...cross that line on snake road and you will end up in the grill of a car/suv.

when you learn to go slow then you will know how to go fast

The Michelins are fine, I raced an entire season on them on my 250. You will be better off upgrading your suspension components.

Right at the end of last year i installed a new sets of tires Metzeler Sportec m7 rr
the reviews are nice - but unfortunately i can't give you my own opinion yet;)

I've installed two sets of those M7RR's for forum members - they seem to be loving it.
One is a pretty spirited rider.

The Michelins are fine, I raced an entire season on them on my 250. You will be better off upgrading your suspension components.

Are you interested in buying my stock Michelin? Just like new!!

Before writing off the tires first sort your suspension. Have you had sag checked and or adjusted. How much do you weigh? Most bikes have suspension that can barely handle a person of 160lbs.

Suspension has a far greater impact on how a bike handles than tires.

Once you can tell us that the sag is correct front and back and your suspension is not being overloaded then worry about your tires. If you weigh over 180lbs I would suggest spending some money on having the springs changed to handle your weight 1st.

Are you interested in buying my stock Michelin? Just like new!!

Turning them into my rains for this season ;) still have plenty of tread left. Switching back to the Pirellis that I have with 1/2 a season on them.

Before writing off the tires first sort your suspension. Have you had sag checked and or adjusted. How much do you weigh? Most bikes have suspension that can barely handle a person of 160lbs.

Suspension has a far greater impact on how a bike handles than tires.

Once you can tell us that the sag is correct front and back and your suspension is not being overloaded then worry about your tires. If you weigh over 180lbs I would suggest spending some money on having the springs changed to handle your weight 1st.

I am 180 pounds and I adjusted the preload to 5 out of 7 (1 being soft, 7 being hard). I worked my way up from 2 (previous owner) to 5, 5 being perfect. R3 riders on the forums state that for my weight #5 seems great. This bike is good for up to 230 pounds on the highest preload

You can run a 150 on the rear of the R3.

I mounted my race take offs from my 400 on the R3. Pilot Road 3 rear and a Pilot Power 3 front.

The michelin tires that come on the R3 (Bias Ply streets) are garbage and not at all confidence inspiring.

I've worked on a few of the R3'.
EDIT:You might be limited to the choice of tires for a 140 rear , but if you go with 150 rear - you will have more choices.
Since the 150 wide fits - you can go with it.

150 wide is not fun to install but its possible.

Thanks for the detailed reply!! I am going to stick with 140 rear.

Back
Top Bottom