WTF is going on with Motorcycle deaths? | Page 8 | GTAMotorcycle.com

WTF is going on with Motorcycle deaths?

Horn doesn't help for a car that is well-insulated from the outside world with the driver having the radio blasting inside. Can't count on it. Not even if you are driving a fire truck. The most reliable countermeasure is to stay out of the way.

I think there are more riders who used to ride a small amount that are going out more due to Covid 19...

Saw some very stupid stuff lately

If you're passing, you need to pedal more quickly. When he started to move you should have been by him and slowing down. Never sit beside or slightly behind a car for any length of time, unless you're trying to pull in behind them. Pass them let them see you, and then slow down if you need to. Otherwise, give them room to pull in. That goes whether you're driving a bike, car or truck. Don't get so upset and quick with the finger. Some people are fricken nuts and will try and run you down.

Bet his wife gave him hell.

If you're passing, you need to pedal more quickly. When he started to move you should have been by him and slowing down. Never sit beside or slightly behind a car for any length of time, unless you're trying to pull in behind them. Pass them let them see you, and then slow down if you need to. Otherwise, give them room to pull in. That goes whether you're driving a bike, car or truck. Don't get so upset and quick with the finger. Some people are fricken nuts and will try and run you down.

Bet his wife gave him hell.

Pedal much quicker than this.
Trying to pass?????

Pedal much quicker than this.
Trying to pass?????
You ever been in or behind a car or bike that pulls out to pass, and it seems like it must be a pedal bike or car, and they're running out of energy for the pass? One thousand and one, one thousand and two, one thousand and three, one thousand and four, one thousand and five, one thousand and six . . . they're just starting to pull up beside you now . . . one thousand and twenty . . . they've almost completed the pass - you'd better not speed up now or it will throw them off, and they'll have to start over.

You need to make sure there's enough room between you and the car in front, and then pass in good time.
If it's going to take me more than five seconds to pass you, then I'm not going to pass you.
In the cut of situation, I would have moved over to the right lane after it happened, if it was open, and take a slight breather.
If I was still stressed, I would have pulled off somewhere and taken a break.

Sometimes that guy in the right hand lane, needs to make a left turn at the next intersection. It's best to get ahead of him quickly and then get over.

Horn doesn't help for a car that is well-insulated from the outside world with the driver having the radio blasting inside. Can't count on it. Not even if you are driving a fire truck. The most reliable countermeasure is to stay out of the way.
Not to mention all the people I see wearing headphones or in-ears while driving. Both ears.
I almost lost it at an uber driver once, browsing his phone with both earplugs in. Doing about 45 in 60 weaving lanes for 2 blocks, glanced up twice. I honked, I waved and did everything to try to get his attention.
Only good thing in that situation is that he definitely won't notice any cops driving up to him.

I use earplugs for protection and play some tunes but I can still hear everything important around me.

I use earplugs for protection and play some tunes but I can still hear everything important around me.
I always use earplugs too. External speakers aren't so bad (helmet speakers, bike speakers etc), where it really gets dodgy is IEM's. Now you isolate from outside noises and pump music into the quiet side to ensure you have very little chance of hearing what is going on around you.

Earplug wearer here as well. It's not that I have obnoxious pipes or anything like that, it's just that the wind and road noise grates on me.

With earplugs that ambient and wind noise fades into the background. But I can still hear things just fine. It makes for a drastically more enjoyable and relaxing ride for me.

That, and I don't want to be a deaf old codger by the age of 65.

I'm actually surprised about how well regular ear plugs work. For me they got rid of the majority of wind/road noise, but I can still hear traffic pulling in around me, and also any type of particular mechanical noises on the bike. Weird, but it sure made for less tiring rides when droning on the highway.

I'm actually surprised about how well regular ear plugs work. For me they got rid of the majority of wind/road noise, but I can still hear traffic pulling in around me, and also any type of particular mechanical noises on the bike. Weird, but it sure made for less tiring rides when droning on the highway.
Ear plugs work because they lower all sounds before they get to your inner ear. Simplified, instead of 100 dB at the outside of the ear canal, now you have ~75. Your ear is quite happy processing at the new level. If you now insert music at 85 dB on the quiet side it is ~10 dB above things coming from outside and you can have trouble identifying the outside noise.

I've never tried earphones on the bike, I'm not against the idea though. Earplugs in I can't hear anything but wind noise and the occasional semi. IDK, maybe it's my helmet.

Helmet can make a huge difference, you will find that once you find the right one. Add a cotton bandana scarf that you don't even need to take off now when you enter a store ? lol only things you hear are the things you want to hear anyway Nexx top of the line helmet with a neck scarf is the best I have found ymmv.
In the carbon it is one of the lightest helmets on the market which is nice on the neck too. & If you start wearing a back brace, you might find the helmet sits on it, which is actually pretty nice on the neck too.

but many like to crank the tunes
Count me in. There are plenty of options on the market that allow ambient noise to filter in however.

Count me in. There are plenty of options on the market that allow ambient noise to filter in however.

My Jabra Elites use the mics to pump in ambient noise. The level is adjustable. I use earplugs when I ride, though.

Back
Top Bottom