Winter Tires ... where do you get them? | GTAMotorcycle.com

Winter Tires ... where do you get them?

EC2010

I seem to be able to still get the lowest price for Michellins x-ice (with the annual $80 rebate usually around Oct/Nov) and 4x steelies at Costco, plus they mount them for me.

Anyone else have experience with better deals ?

A friend owns an Active Green + Ross in Etobicoke so that's where I go. Margins on tires are thin. If I didn't have the connection, I would probably just go with Costco as it is convenient and they won't be way off on prices.

I have a local guy I use in Scarborough.

Great prices, fast turnaround and fantastic to deal with.

My Ford dealership matched Costco prices. Just ask (in a nice way), the worst they can say is "no, can't do that".

kijiji....used steel rims, sometimes the tires are usable
can often find a set for $100 from someone who got rid of the car they were for
TPS is the issue if you're trying to do it on the cheap tho

Costco. Although after having the x-ice tires for a while IMO the Blizzaks actually work better. X-ice tires are great for ice/clear roads but actually not great in any real snow accumulation.

Tire test including xice3 and ws80.
Cliffs: they're both the same (give or take), but the xice3's will last you longer.
https://tekniikanmaailma.fi/wp-content/uploads/2015/07/tm_17_2016_english.pdf

Interesting. The Hakka's won. I've heard lots of good things about them but normally run X-ice. I've run goodyears and bridgestones before too (the bridgestones had a significant associated fuel penalty). The most fun I had was good snows on the front and canadian tire snows on the rear. Just thinking about drifting would send the rear out.

I'll price hakkas and X-ice for my wifes tires this year. Hopefully my old snows fit and I can get another couple years out of my X-ice.

You can try http://simplytire.com/ (I've bought 3 sets of tires there so far).

They have prices online, and you can call to see if they have any manufacturer rebates active (I've also received this every time).

Yeah, Hak's are king, but too bad so few retailers sell them (Kal tire mainly). Scored a set nearly new for the SUV @ $3xx in the summer, STEAL.
We run xice's on four of my immediate family's vehicles.

According to other's experiences with Michelin's treadwear warranty also makes it a no-brainer. They don't ask for proof of rotation or anything like that so you can get a new set to replace the old ones with a discount on MSRP.

They have prices online, and you can call to see if they have any manufacturer rebates active (I've also received this every time).
bought 2 sets from them.

great price and good (on time) service

Costco. Although after having the x-ice tires for a while IMO the Blizzaks actually work better. X-ice tires are great for ice/clear roads but actually not great in any real snow accumulation.

Agreed. I felt a noticeable decrease in snow traction and fun factor when I replaced my WS70's with X-Ice 3's. I'll be going back to Blizzaks, even though they wear like pencil erasers.

I have had to buy 5 sets of tires over the last 2 years. Winters and all seasons for 3 different vehicles. I have bought them all from Pickering Tire N Mag. Small independent shop that has always beat everyone's pricing without being asked to match or beat. I tend to buy the best I can afford and I trust the advice I get from the owner. He can come off as a bit abrasive which this isn't great for the entitled buttercup but if you want frank no BS advice, solid selection and fair pricing, they are great.

The website is a little rough, but it has good information. Jumping up from 16" to 17" is an extra $250 (for what is likely worse performance in the winter). Another $250 to move up to 18".

My buddy owns a place called AutoTrax.
Many people that I know, that don't know that we know each other, rave about his prices and service.
That being said, if you are buying tires that Costco sells, he can't touch those prices.
Keep in mind that install is also dirt cheap at Costco.

Sent from my purple G4 using Tapatalk

I'll be needing a set of some Nokian's on rims for my Volt.
Kal Tire was pretty painless when we used them for my wife's car.

Personally drive beaters, so I look around for used wheel/tire combos. There are good deals to be had, also terrible ones. If I was driving something nice... IDK about the Costco rims, I would look for better steelies or maybe a used set of alloys

Also keep in mind when you buy rims and bolt them on yourself to make sure the wheel nuts/bolts you use have the appropriate type of seat for the wheel (thinking of Costco rims specifically causing trouble)

Also keep in mind when you buy rims and bolt them on yourself to make sure the wheel nuts/bolts you use have the appropriate type of seat for the wheel (thinking of Costco rims specifically causing trouble)

On my current car it was a nightmare finding the correct nuts. The stock nuts were balls and I needed cones for steels. AG+R Newmarket said just use the balls (f them), Pfaff VW said they had cones available (I went to pick them up and they were balls, they said just use them, f them), BB Dixon had cones. Sure I could just torque down a ball and hope for the best, but with line contact I expect them to come loose (and mess up the alloys when you spin nuts with a big burr into them). The only pain was the cone nuts required a larger socket so I would toss a ratchet and socket in the trunk for the winter as the stock lug wrench didn't work.

Back
Top Bottom