Winter storage nightmare | Page 5 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Winter storage nightmare

Given the royal ass kicking that most retail has been taking, I would be investigating self-storage places. I wouldnt my bike hung up in bankruptcy or a landlord dispute.
This is a fear I have in the back of my mind too. Now I can't even use independent guys like Kneedragger88, look what happened, he hasn't responded to the OP in 1 year, what would happen if I store my bike with a guy like this and he doesn't answer my calls/emails with my $10,000 bike in his posession?

that would suck.

I’ve never stored a bike. Approx how much does it cost?

Given the royal ass kicking that most retail has been taking, I would be investigating self-storage places. I wouldnt want my bike hung up in bankruptcy or a landlord dispute.
My understanding is that bike dealerships have done quite well for themselves after the initial shut-down was over. Maybe that's a US thing? The logic I read was that with disposable income for travel being unspent, that was going into other purchases like bikes...

Either way, I know GP Bikes does winter storage, and I'm pretty sure Pro6 does the same. I think both are a pretty safe bet to be open in the spring...

Budd's Motorrad in Oakville offer storage.
I believe that their rate is $450 and it includes winterizing (you'd have to confirm the rate).

Oh oh, TK4 thinks my wife is going to laugh at that one too :LOL:

That's not bad -- I'm asking this for my SIL (she has a 6,000sq' foot low roof barn on her farm that they no longer use (was a milking shed for a dairy operation, extremely clean. It's heated, has excellent access and about 1/3rd of the space is sectioned into 10x10 fenced paddocks, drive in and pickup level dock.

She was told by a powersport dealer she could get $200/season for bikes and $450/year for a 10x10 paddock in a no-frills self serve type setup, 3 minutes from the Honda plant in Alliston. Would that be too far, or too basic? Any thoughts as to how many bikes she could attract?

That's not bad -- I'm asking this for my SIL (she has a 6,000sq' foot low roof barn on her farm that they no longer use (was a milking shed for a dairy operation, extremely clean. It's heated, has excellent access and about 1/3rd of the space is sectioned into 10x10 fenced paddocks, drive in and pickup level dock.

She was told by a powersport dealer she could get $200/season for bikes and $450/year for a 10x10 paddock in a no-frills self serve type setup, 3 minutes from the Honda plant in Alliston. Would that be too far, or too basic? Any thoughts as to how many bikes she could attract?
Isn't the cow barn cold when there are no cows in it? I thought the cows made much of the heat :|
If it has in floor heating that would work great, all you need is tons more fire/theft&flood insurance.

Isn't the cow barn cold when there are no cows in it? I thought the cows made much of the heat :|
If it has in floor heating that would work great, all you need is tons more fire/theft&flood insurance.
It's cold but it is heated - they had to keep the milking plant from freezing, they also used it as a workshop for a while. It's on high ground, no chance of flooding but fire and theft insurance would certainly be necessary. I'm just not sure whether she could attract enough bikers to make it viable. The powersports shop that offered to take the space was willing to pay $100/bike, guarantee 50 bikes, with a no in/out privileges, bikes had to be in during Oct and out between Mar and Apr 15. That would cover heat and insurance so it was a no go on that proposition - she would have to do it direct at about $200/bike and get 50 bikes for it to make sense. There is room for about 100 bikes with easy access, 200 bikes if they are packed in.

I know guys that have converted barns and steel sheds into a year round riding facility :cool: but there would be money to be made in a storage facility idea, not so much for indoor winter riding area, not enough crazy people around for that.

If the barn heats with anything other then in-floor, the heating costs might become prohibitive.

I know guys that have converted barns and steel sheds into a year round riding facility :cool: but there would be money to be made in a storage facility idea, not so much for indoor winter riding area, not enough crazy people around for that.

If the barn heats with anything other then in-floor, the heating costs might become prohibitive.
Well it's been run through many a winter already, she should have a good handle on the operating costs. She could also aim for just above freezing to minimize costs. Constant temp is more important than absolute temperature.

Not too many barns have insulation or are air sealed well, also cows are much easier to heat then motorcycles :| because cows are made from mostly bone and water so you can use a quartz heater to just excite their water molecules and keep just the cow warm and not the air or solid objects around them.

Budd's Motorrad in Oakville offer storage.
I believe that their rate is $450 and it includes winterizing (you'd have to confirm the rate).
The rate is not $450, here are details.

$699+tax, for:

We will pick up your bike within the local area and store it at our facility.

This Package Includes:

- Change Oil & Filter (parts incl.)

- Close Exhaust

- Set Tire Pressures

- Check Battery

- Check Coolant (K Models)

- Fill Fuel Tank & Add Stabilizer

- Fog Cylinders

- Indoor, Heated & Secured Storage

- Battery Maintenance

The rate is not $450, here are details.

$699+tax, for:

We will pick up your bike within the local area and store it at our facility.

This Package Includes:

- Change Oil & Filter (parts incl.)

- Close Exhaust

- Set Tire Pressures

- Check Battery

- Check Coolant (K Models)

- Fill Fuel Tank & Add Stabilizer

- Fog Cylinders

- Indoor, Heated & Secured Storage

- Battery Maintenance
Wow. @Mad Mike maybe your SIL should partner with someone like @frekeyguy . She gets her $200/bike, he does the pickup/dropoff/maintenance and tacks on another $300-400 for the effort and they still undercut existing options. He could either winterize them on the way in or spend a few weekends in November banging off oil changes in the barn.

Wow. @Mad Mike maybe your SIL should partner with someone like @frekeyguy . She gets her $200/bike, he does the pickup/dropoff/maintenance and tacks on another $300-400 for the effort and they still undercut existing options. He could either winterize them on the way in or spend a few weekends in November banging off oil changes in the barn.
Yeah... People near alliston most likely have their own garage, don't need storage. It's the people in the GTA who live in condos that need this type of service, but they're not gonna go all the way to alliston. She would need to pickup/drop off the bikes to their condo in order to get their business.

Back
Top Bottom