Winter storage nightmare | Page 3 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Winter storage nightmare

I pity those who live in condos/apts/vans down by the river who need to store their bikes some place other than where they live.
I couldn't do it.
I wonder if with all the GTAM networking there seems to be why it wouldn't be possible for those with a little extra garage space to help out the riders without.
I've done it. 'Stored my buddies VTX1300 one winter while he was getting divorced and between houses.
Another buddy just bought a new FS800GS today (Shout out to Steve at Budd's in Oakville)... He's going to be in a similar situation, short of space so... I said for three Tim Horton's coffees he can park his bike at my place for the winter.
For all the rider solidarity there's supposed to be...
Mine's stored under a cover behind my car all winter outside. Want to be friends?

Last edited:
A few years back there was a very active thread on winter motorcycle storage.
Everyone was complaining about either lack of space available or the inconvenience of travelling to the edges of Toronto. We want cheap and safe storage downtown.
Being retired now, I started to look into it.
Storage space anywhere near downtown was expensive in the extreme.
Tack on the cost of electric, and insurance and it became obscene.
I figured you would have to have the space to store at least 100 bike at $500 for four or five months to break even.
During riding season you would still be paying rent when the place was empty.
Once you accept money to store the bike, you are responsible for theft or damage, hence the high insurance.
Battery guards or chargers would be in use all winter, so Hydro would be high.
I have respect for guys who do this and make a profit.

I am sorry to hear of your troubles.

Last edited:
I bury mine in the back yard.

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

This it?
4fbf2b2081e6ac463d8b633f0752e4afbcc381a8.jpg

Once you accept money to store the bike, you are responsible for theft or damage, hence the high insurance.
Battery guards or chargers would be in use all winter, so Hydro would be high.
I have respect for guys who do this and make a profit.

Well there's a difference between a commercial enterprise and a buddy helping another buddy out.
I wouldn't take money and the amount of hydro it'll take to keep a tender going would be covered by the three coffees I demand.

I pity those who live in condos/apts/vans down by the river who need to store their bikes some place other than where they live.
I couldn't do it.
I wonder if with all the GTAM networking there seems to be why it wouldn't be possible for those with a little extra garage space to help out the riders without.
I've done it. 'Stored my buddies VTX1300 one winter while he was getting divorced and between houses.
Another buddy just bought a new FS800GS today (Shout out to Steve at Budd's in Oakville)... He's going to be in a similar situation, short of space so... I said for three Tim Horton's coffees he can park his bike at my place for the winter.
For all the rider solidarity there's supposed to be...

:lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao:
This is one of the most selfish bunch. There are a handful of ppl on here (ok literally maybe 2 handfuls) that would help out out of the hundreds or thousands of member supposedly on this forum.

Mine's stored under a cover behind my car all winter outside. Want to be friends?
You can keep it at my place. I mean, after all, it will be in the shop most of the winter anyway. ?

Sent from my purple GTAMotorcycle.com mobile app

I can barely stand sharing garage with husband let alone you ****ers....

Love ya!

'Depends, are you a 110 pound nymphomaniac 22 year old female with a preference for 50 year old baldish guys?
If you wanna make the trip from York to Hamilton.... PM me in the Fall.
I could probably fit one more bike in my garage...

Delivery trucks can pull some serious g's. I know, I've seen them ken blocking around town. Everything looks normal outside. Inside, I'm afraid to look. I hope you get sorted out. If it's any consolation I'm listening to some pretty good music right now.

No kidding, I watched a garbage truck in toronto lift its inside rear wheels about two feet in the air making a way too fast right turn. was so close to rolling. probably delivers fragile electronics at air cargo now lol. seriously though, 2 feet minimum in the air.. good music, good for the soul.

Well there's a difference between a commercial enterprise and a buddy helping another buddy out.
I wouldn't take money and the amount of hydro it'll take to keep a tender going would be covered by the three coffees I demand.

I wasn't speaking of doing a pal a favour but rather about numerous riders being unsatisfied with what's currently available.
I was attempting to explain why what's currently available is so poor.

I wasn't speaking of doing a pal a favour but rather about numerous riders being unsatisfied with what's currently available.
I was attempting to explain why what's currently available is so poor.

Yeah... I wouldn't even consider using a storage service such as the one(s) being discussed here.
If I didn't have storage at home I'd just suck up the cost of a self-storage unit and store my bike, my way.

Post up some pics of the bike as delivered on its side. I almost used Ken this year, he seemed very reasonable on the phone and most have given him a good review.

I ended storing bike at dealer for about the same. This is his busy time, I am sure after this post he will respond.

Good luck, you will get your money one way or the other.

BB

Source? I think you're getting your Kens mixed up.

Did I get my Ken's mixed up? I was sure that the Ken I posted the link to was Kneedragger. If I'm wrong I 100% apologize. That's why I was shocked when I read the original post. The Ken I linked to I used to ride with back in the day and he would always make things right.

As for the Hack's concerns about winter storage, I can only chime in with my own experience. When I used to live in an apartment I had my bike stored with Clarington Cycle for a few winters and was always completely satisfied with my experience. Now, with them I did have to drop off my bike and pick it up, but it came back to me each spring in the same shape I delivered it in, washed and with a fresh oil and filter change for spring. Even though I have a garage of my own I sometimes think about getting my bike stored for the winter. My garage is separate from the house with no insulation. It definitely freezes in there and some times in the spring when the snow melts I get water in there in the front of the garage.

As far as offering up garage space for friends, I would be wary of doing this. Check with your house insurance first. If the unthinkable happens and you have a fire or if the bike is stolen from the garage, you may be liable in some way or their insurance may be voided if they did not disclose to their insurer where the bike was being stored.

Did I get my Ken's mixed up? I was sure that the Ken I posted the link to was Kneedragger. If I'm wrong I 100% apologize. That's why I was shocked when I read the original post. The Ken I linked to I used to ride with back in the day and he would always make things right.

Gator=Livingstone
Kneedragger=McAdam

My bad. A big apology to Ken Livingston. Ken Livingston used to ride with us out of the old south Simcoe St. Timmie's back in the EARLY 2000's and was always an honest stand up guy.

For what it's worth, I've used Ken's winter storage for years and always had a perfect experience. The bike was picked up and returned promptly with no mishaps.

'Depends, are you a 110 pound nymphomaniac 22 year old female with a preference for 50 year old baldish guys?
If you wanna make the trip from York to Hamilton.... PM me in the Fall.
I could probably fit one more bike in my garage...

Napster thread? She might call you dad though. lol

Back
Top Bottom