Winnipeg>Toronto route tips | GTAMotorcycle.com

Winnipeg>Toronto route tips

sbates

Hi all,

I'll be picking up a bike from Winnipeg in a few weeks and driving it back to Toronto. Looks like there are a few routes I could go. I have maximum 3 days to make the trip, ideally I'd try to do it in 2.

Any route recommendations, things to check out along the way, etc, from anyone who's made the trip would be much appreciated!

Sean

I'm not so sure you have many options with that time crunch. You are basically looking at over 2000km of all highway, and more if you want to stop and see stuff or ride more interesting roads than slab.

Personally, I can say that the North Shore of Lake Superior is quite nice. The speed limit at times can be a little slow, but that's only if you ride the speed limit. I liked the Terry Fox Memorial in Thunder Bay and there are a number of really scenic spots to get off the bike and stretch your legs for a bit. East of Sault Ste. Marie, you can either take the 6 south through Espanola and into Manitoulin Island which is a spectacular ride, and then cross the ferry over to Tobermory. Or you can just highway bomb it to Sudbury and head south from there.

I would do this trip in 3 days and get off the highway a bit.
This might help with some stuff: http://www.gtamotorcycle.com/vbforu...eport-North-Shore-of-Lake-Superior-and-beyond

North Shore is very nice and if you not done it then take the opportunity ...you can cut south of the lake and down Michigan for high speed on the slab but hey .....smell the roses.
You do get to go over the Mackinaw Bridge and you can blister down the slab and across at the Bluewater - easy to do 1,000 km but you do pay for it

01ebd2af7b87dd8d4a9e86dd8f0f7a34.jpg

Tobermory ferry a nice relaxing break and some good back roads to the south

I used to drive between Toronto and Thunder Bay a lot.

My favourite stretches along the way would be Nipigon to Marathon, Wawa to Sault Ste Marie and Espanola to South Baymouth. As mentioned in a previous post, there's a ferry from South Baymouth to Tobermory - get your ticket ahead of time.

I'm not too keen on the Espanola - Sudbury - Highway 400 - Toronto route. If I have time, I prefer Highway 11 or cutting across on Hwy 141 or 169 which livens things up a bit. In my opinion, your ride would best be done in 3 days.

North Shore is very nice and if you not done it then take the opportunity ...you can cut south of the lake and down Michigan for high speed on the slab but hey .....smell the roses.
You do get to go over the Mackinaw Bridge and you can blister down the slab and across at the Bluewater - easy to do 1,000 km but you do pay for it

01ebd2af7b87dd8d4a9e86dd8f0f7a34.jpg

Tobermory ferry a nice relaxing break and some good back roads to the south

The only issue with heading south from the Soo through Michigan is the highway is patrolled heavy. It’s almost like the half the population are state troopers at times.

Think it’s safe to travel at 10 MPH above the limit but, out of state plates and a bike might get more attention.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Check the weather. It can still be cold along the route and even frozen stuff.

Cold + fatigue + ice + poor diet = oops.

Lots of bugs as well.

Reflecting on the 3 day limit: Not a problem with a cage, barring serious incidents, but bikes are different.

With bikes and boats sometimes you have to lay up and wait things out. Other things can set you back regardless of weather, things like road construction, floods etc.

The OP doesn't mention what kind of bike but I assume it's used. Is he familiar with that type of bike and is it solid for the ride or did he buy someones problem child?

The last time I came back from the peg on a bike was 10 years ago. Leaving late I only got to Kenora the first day. Second night on the road was Wawa and home the third evening. Long days push you into riding at inopportune times through deer country.

That said I got stopped to let a herd of the critters wander across the highway mid afternoon.

Last edited:
Think it’s safe to travel at 10 MPH above the limit but, out of state plates and a bike might get more attention

Can't say I've ever seen a cop north of the turn to Flint

Average speed I can't keep up with especially on a weekend. Is 140 real not enough for you using your assessment?? That's well over 150 indicated on most bikes. If there is a cross wind those speeds are brutal on the body. ( ask me how I know ) :rolleyes:
Bloody tank bag was lifting off for flight.

See which 600 miles of Michigan freeways will go to 75 mph speed limits
www.mlive.com/news/index.ssf/2017/04/see_which_600_miles_of_michiga.html
Apr 26, 2017 - Speed limits on some Michigan freeways will increase to 75 miles per hour. ... LANSING, MI -- The Michigan State Police and Michigan Department of Transportation have identified 600 miles of freeway and 900 miles of non-freeway to increase speed limits on in compliance with ..

You don't want to speed through Flint ( or can't due to traffic ) the road is *****.

I'm keeping fingers crossed I can get north and the turn west on a single run so at least I'm facing prevailing winds instead across them.
You get slammed around then hit a blissful patch of trees then wham out the other side...and stay upwind of trucks ....vortices off the back corner are incredible at those speeds.

Downwind as my last ride was once I turned the corner at Flint .....lounging in the sofa with a lightshow of thunderstorms for entertainment. 975 klicks...one of my longer days.

Last edited:
under Superior or over Superior is about a 2 hr difference , going straight south out of the peg to minneappolis , st paul, east to chicago saves 5 hrs. + or - its a 24 hr trip , approx 2,200 kms .
That's 12 hrs a day in the seat for 2 days. 8 hrs over 3, which would be a bit more pleasant. Its quite doable on the right bike , 2 days would be a slog.

With three days, you won't have much time for any sort of sight seeing or exploring.

Winnipeg to Thunder Bay

Thunder Bay to Sault Ste Marie

Sault Ste Marie to Toronto

Given your timeline there’s really only two viable options – come back through the USA and slab it, or stay in Canada and come around the top of the lakes.

If it were me I would take the three days in a heartbeat and stay in Canada – the stretch between Wawa and down to Sudbury is one of the most scenic areas in Ontario. You can do it in 2 if you want easily if you don’t mind long days - I did almost that exact stretch myself last summer (from the GTA the MB line basically) in 2 days, but you have to enjoy high mile days. If you’re a new rider I wouldn’t suggest that.

Coming back to the USA can either help or hinder you however – you need to time it carefully to make sure you are not coming through Chicago during traffic otherwise it’s very easy to completely eat up any time savings getting stuck in that quagmire, and then there’s the border which depending on timing and also be a mess.

Timing is everything for that option. And it’s going to be pretty boring.

What bike? New or used? The upside to going through the US is you are closer to help. A lot of the Canada route you are in bf nowhere. I don't know if I would take a new to me bike to the middle of nowhere for its first ride in case it let me down.

Last edited:
Appreciate the input from all. I think I'll revise my 2 day plan and make it 3 for sure.
I'll be making the trip over the Canada day weekend, so hopefully weather will hold up. Sounds like wawa>soo is a nice stretch, so I think I'll plan to stay north of the border.
The bike (moto guzzi stone) is in great shape. Used, but its a 2017 with <1k clicks. Far from a touring bike, but I'm in my late 20's, and have clocked some long days in the saddle touring through Central America. I'll be keeping a close eye on soreness/fatigue, but it's something I'm comfortable with.

Cool bike.

Radioworld rents sat phones. I would bring one (or a SPOT or similar) if you are going over the top. There are places where you are an hour ride without cell signal.

Radioworld rents sat phones. I would bring one (or a SPOT or similar) if you are going over the top. There are places where you are an hour ride without cell signal.

Hmmm....I could be wrong (as I don't constantly stare at my cellphone when riding obviously) but I don't recall any spots where we didn't have service on the Trans Canada.

In case you change your mind and go through the states, stop at Aerostich in Duluth. Always something interesting parked out front and lots of fun wandering around looking at all the stuff we can’t get/don’t have here.

Hmmm....I could be wrong (as I don't constantly stare at my cellphone when riding obviously) but I don't recall any spots where we didn't have service on the Trans Canada.

Things appear to have gotten better but there are still holes. I know TBay to Dryden a few years ago was a black hole (actually Bell and Rogers didn't even work in Dryden, you needed TbayTel) but Bell says they have it covered now. It looks likes there's still a big hole between Marathon and wawa.

https://www.bell.ca/Mobility/Our_network_coverage

Good lord ....a Spot certainly isn't needed. That's for remote regions.

I'll be making the trip over the Canada day weekend,
Ugh .....You are into for a lot of traffic ....you wanna get out at 5 am - you are dealing with the US 4th of July traffic as well in a very popular region. Maybe best to stick to the Canadian route and not have to deal with border issues on that weekend.

Be careful long weekend drivers are often crazy aggressive.

Last edited:
South from Winnipeg, then I-29.
South on I-29 to Grand Forks ND
US 2 from Grand Forks to Mackinaw.
I-75 from Mackinaw across the bridge to I-75.
I-75 south, cross at Pt. Huron/Sarnia.
I would plan on 3 days as there is a lot of wildlife on the roads after dark.

Back
Top Bottom