Why I'd never buy a Ducati | Page 5 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Why I'd never buy a Ducati

Well, there are a few competent Ducati technicians out there that can do the same, if not better, job than the dealerships for much less.
(y) Those are the people who learned how to work on their own motorcycles.

I don't spend very much at bike dealerships, just parts,
any idiot can replace parts, right? :unsure:
Not this idiot.
Not sure why but I've never been good with more than oil changes and battery changes.
One of the things that I'm trying to get better at.

And maybe I'm wrong in this line of thinking, but if you can afford to drop $20g on a bike purchase, you can drop $2g on a service, right?

I can't, that's why I buy inexpensive $#!+

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

The other was rumours of people selling their bikes after learning of the cost of the first service, but not actually getting it done.

Because I'm an idiot, but curious about this thread, is there a way to know if the service was actually done, other than a paper trail?

For regular service, there is only a paper trail. For warranty work a tech is usually required to make an identifying mark (paint dot or center punch) on the component or at the vin.

Last edited:
Not this idiot.
Not sure why but I've never been good with more than oil changes and battery changes. ...
Necessity was the mother of invention for me, I had to figure out how it works and fix my own motorcycles, or not ride. Only reason I can afford expensive motorcycles in the first place is because I don't have to pay the big bucks just to keep them serviceable.

Had a tractor split right in two! Needed to figure out how to weld and bolt that back together too, or trash 40 grand worth of tractor. That was 15 years ago and the tractor still works so I guess I must have learned how to stick weld cast steel reasonably well.

"is there a way to know if the service was actually done, other than a paper trail?" yes, if you pay to have something replaced and it's not used oil or used filters then always ask for the old parts. Although you still need to know what you are looking at or they could give you any old parts that are kicking around.

Something I noticed long ago; expensive toys are actually slightly easier and far more rewarding to work on then cheap crap toys, because quality parts and fasteners are not made of cheese and once you are all done fixing a cheap crap toy, it's still just a cheap crap toy.

Something I noticed long ago; expensive toys are actually slightly easier and far more rewarding to work on then cheap crap toys, because quality parts and fasteners are not made of cheese and once you are all done fixing a cheap crap toy, it's still just a cheap crap toy.
This!

@Trials let me clarify by saying to me inexpensive = used/ older. Hence the 1998 Shadow purchase 10 years ago and the 2005 Pilot that I drive. The Pilot was expensive when new.....for someone else lol.

Yeah even with necessity I suck lol.

My kid brother had a job at 12
At 14 he bought a Mazda B2200 (mini truck craze)
For the next 2 years he taught himself how to do everything on it:
Body drop, hydraulic suspension, made it convertible.
He got the mechanical ability.
I got the appetite.

The typical service costs for my Ducati so far are no more then a typical Japanese bike. Not sure if alot of these comparisons are being made on older Ducati bikes. But from my understanding is that Ducati have been changing ever since the VW Group purchased the company. The reliability, quality, service etc have all improved drastically over the past few years. I'm sure if you compare a high end bike model with a more basic Japanese model , the more complicated bike will have more items to service over the long run, and the costs will be more. But why not compare the higher end Japanese bikes to the equivalent Ducati bikes and then see if the costs to run and maintain over the long run are that much different.
Otherwise it's like comparing the maintenance costs of a Toyota Corrola vs a Ferrari. Of course the Ferrari will cost more and have more issues to maintain.

But why not compare the higher end Japanese bikes to the equivalent Ducati bikes and then see if the costs to run and maintain over the long run are that much different. Otherwise it's like comparing the maintenance costs of a Toyota Corrola vs a Ferrari. Of course the Ferrari will cost more and have more issues to maintain.
I suspect that if you looked at the parts list for a panigale v4 and an r1 there would be a gap. Feel free to prove me wrong though

Necessity was the mother of invention for me, I had to figure out how it works and fix my own motorcycles, or not ride. Only reason I can afford expensive motorcycles in the first place is because I don't have to pay the big bucks just to keep them serviceable.

Had a tractor split right in two! Needed to figure out how to weld and bolt that back together too, or trash 40 grand worth of tractor. That was 15 years ago and the tractor still works so I guess I must have learned how to stick weld cast steel reasonably well.

"is there a way to know if the service was actually done, other than a paper trail?" yes, if you pay to have something replaced and it's not used oil or used filters then always ask for the old parts. Although you still need to know what you are looking at or they could give you any old parts that are kicking around.

Seems rather misleading, since there was nothing stopping you from getting anyone else to do the work.

I bought my first Suzuki K10 motorcycle at age 10 for 80$ and had to figure out how to keep it running totally on my own, nobody else in my family ever owned or knew how to work on them. My first purchase was a 7$ service manual and I think the second purchase was a 12$ impact driver, seemed expensive at the time lol still have the impact driver although I don't use it much any more (y) is only an important purchase if you are going to own Japanese motorcycles because JIS head machine screws Are made of cheese:LOL:

I suspect that if you looked at the parts list for a panigale v4 and an r1 there would be a gap. Feel free to prove me wrong though
I'm not mechanically inclined enough to prove you wrong. But having said that, I would bet that that type of service, intervals and costs for those two models would be very close. And as mentioned by another poster. Anyone who can afford either of those two models most like couldn't care less on the maintenance costs.

I'm not mechanically inclined enough to prove you wrong. But having said that, I would bet that that type of service, intervals and costs for those two models would be very close. And as mentioned by another poster. Anyone who can afford either of those two models most like couldn't care less on the maintenance costs.
Probably true for the majority, but i wouldn't say 'anyone'. You`re probably correct, the maintenance schedule for both is probably similar these days.

Probably true for the majority, but i wouldn't say 'anyone'. You`re probably correct, the maintenance schedule for both is probably similar these days.
I would.
(And this is one of the few times that I will be highly opinionated)
Or else they shouldn't buy that bike.
Or like Trials said, learn to do it themselves.
Too many people caught up in the dream of having expensive vehicles but not thinking about the expensive maintenance that comes with it.
One doesn't need to look too far to see neglected Benzs and beemers that the owners can't afford the repairs.
And that goes for used ones too. They still have luxury vehicle expenses.

I would.
(And this is one of the few times that I will be highly opinionated)
Or else they shouldn't buy that bike.
Or like Trials said, learn to do it themselves.
Too many people caught up in the dream of having expensive vehicles but not thinking about the expensive maintenance that comes with it.
One doesn't need to look too far to see neglected Benzs and beemers that the owners can't afford the repairs.
And that goes for used ones too. They still have luxury vehicle expenses.

Difference is, you say 'should' and i agree with you.

You know what manufacturing companies Never issue a recall ! <- the ones that went bankrupt.

This is so true. At first I was annoyed that I had a few recalls to deal with. But then I realized this may be a positive. At least Ducati stepped up and took responsibility for a defect and fixed it in a timely manor.

This is so true. At first I was annoyed that I had a few recalls to deal with. But then I realized this may be a positive. At least Ducati stepped up and took responsibility for a defect and fixed it in a timely manor.
Tell that to the OPs friend.

I wasn't fully understanding the scenario 're OP was referring to. I don't understand why the owner didn't bring the bike in when the recall was issued. If there was an official recall the registered owner would have received a letter. Unless this is a new owner that Ducati doesnt have on file. The rest of the issues seem more to do with how the Dealer is handling it . This scenario can happen with any manufacturer and is not necessarily indicative on Ducati as a whole. No saying that the OP isn't in right here. Just that I'm sure there are numerous situations where Japanese bike owners have similar stories.

Back
Top Bottom