Why I'd never buy a Ducati | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Why I'd never buy a Ducati

"Ducati had a recall, big deal, so they identified a known problem and provided a solution to fix it. Very poor reason to never want to buy their products."
They didn't provide due diligence, the problem wasn't fixed in a timely fashion (for whatever reason) and getting them to own up and do the appropriate repair now has been like pulling teeth. I think this is a very good reason to avoid them. Were this a Japanese bike we wouldn't even be discussing it.

lol, whatever guy, give it a rest.
Today's update - part has still not been rec'd by the dealer, minimum 2 weeks to perform the repair when it does arrive due to pre-existing work.
Give it a rest ? How would you feel if this was your bike ?

Id feel just like you, but I wouldn't waste everyones time bashing a brand as a lot of you love to do, being big cowboys on the internet. So what, a close friend of yours has a problem with a manufacturer and you feel the need to start a thread about how none of us should ever buy a ducati because of this one incident that happened to someone you know. We dont f*cking care.

Ive had horror stories with my audi, I sucked it up, I fixed it myself and I still love the brand despite the whole ordeal.

Id feel just like you, but I wouldn't waste everyones time bashing a brand as a lot of you love to do, being big cowboys on the internet. So what, a close friend of yours has a problem with a manufacturer and you feel the need to start a thread about how none of us should ever buy a ducati because of this one incident that happened to someone you know. We dont f*cking care.

Ive had horror stories with my audi, I sucked it up, I fixed it myself and I still love the brand despite the whole ordeal.
No - If you look at the header it says " Why I'd never buy a Ducati" - singular.
I'm not bashing the brand, I'm bashing the way she's being treated by the distributor. You may not care, but others might.
How is that wasting everyone's time ? If you don't like it, don't read it.

Did I read that recall right? It’s from 2009! The fact the recall wasn’t done at the appropriate time by simply moving the harness and now replacing the entire thing after 10 years says to me Ducati stands behind their product.

It’s not Ducati’s fault the bike never went for the recall, they can’t go into owners garages and force the work to be done. Your friend also could’ve checked for open recalls when they bought the bike.

There was a post here about a year ago from someone with a mid 2000’s VFR having a open recall for the headlight harness but the part was no longer available.

Ducati is fine.

Not sure I understand the reasoning of buying a second bike to ride because this Ducati is down for some time....I would of just paid someone to fix the harness. Much more cost efficient.

DNA dragged their feet for several months before finally agreeing to do the recall at Transport Canada's insistence.
As I've previously stated the original owner either never rec'd a recall notice or chose not to act on it for whatever reason - no way of knowing.
We did check for open recalls when the problem surfaced, hence how we found out about it.
The harness was beyond repair, the only option open was to buy a new one as I've mentioned for $1200 or try to find one on eBay.
Recalls have no time limit, and buying a second bike while waiting was the only option to not riding at all.

"It’s not Ducati’s fault the bike never went for the recall, they can’t go into owners garages and force the work to be done. Your friend also could’ve checked for open recalls when they bought the bike."
There is currently no provision for re-registering a vehicle for outstanding recalls with DNA.
When I bought a used Toyota, I did just that and got a notice for the Takata airbag update 2 weeks later.
Maybe if motorcycle manufacturers could provide that service things like this wouldn't have to happen.
Does anyone have any experiences with re-registering with other manufacturers ?

Not the first time I've heard stories like this. A coworker bought a new Road King years ago and had it in for a lot of major warranty repairs. Mostly camshaft related. It was usually in the dealer for 3 weeks each of the three times. Our very own Lightcycle had 3 final drives put in his bmw.(high mileage tho)
The internet never forgets. Horror stories from the 70s about Ducati and Triumph still haunt them.
My take on Ducati, is that it's all about the build quality. Italian made bikes are so much nicer to work on. Honda is horrible to work on with its obsession for plastic panels interlocking with fragile tabs and all held together with an assortment of stupid pushpins.
Having said all this, i am a little biased. I barely ride these days, and have a lot of time to tinker. Flame suit on.

Reactions: TK4
Also, no more timing belts on the latest generation of the Ducati V-twins and none on the V4 engines.

?

CvFqYXX.png

Recalls are a good thing.The wording in a recall notice is written by lawyers.

Butter on my popcorn please.

only thing that keeps me from buying a Duc is I'm too Scottish
so I have an Aprilia and a Vulcan instead

if money was not a factor
I'd have a Scrambler for running errands
and an MS for tripping

I will always be a fan of the 2 valve motors.Servicing a 4 valver is scarey.If you can confidently do the 2 valve service yourself,you can save a ton of cash.Belts and shim check is about $1200.I do them for about $150.
High mileage (+60k) on a diavel or mts can get really expensive if it needs bottom end work.It is usually the horizontal cylinder that needs rod and bearings.No thanks.

I friggin love my Ducati Multistrada. Cost of doing the 30k service at GP or at Kens is $1500 which also includes (check belt/valves, new fluid in front/rear brakes and clutch, oil change). Not terrible imo.
Oem chain/sprockets lasted 27k and I changed them myself recently. Easiest set I ever put on (thank you SS swingarm).

Same here. I had no idea when i bought my mts that i would find it more comfortable than my goldwing. The wing is however the best two up bike ever made. But when they get old, they get horrible. They don't need much but when they do they are a huge pia. Don't miss it at all.

The thing about public forums is they can raise the punching power of user and consumers to match bigger companies. These conversations are good, if the manufacturer or their deputized supply chain isn't serving the consumer well, then too bad -- they are often the ones who should be expected to 'suck it up'.

I will always be a fan of the 2 valve motors.Servicing a 4 valver is scarey.If you can confidently do the 2 valve service yourself,you can save a ton of cash.Belts and shim check is about $1200.I do them for about $150.
High mileage (+60k) on a diavel or mts can get really expensive if it needs bottom end work.It is usually the horizontal cylinder that needs rod and bearings.No thanks.
Wow! If you can promise to do Ducati valve checkfor $150, I might just buy one!

Not the first time I've heard stories like this. A coworker bought a new Road King years ago and had it in for a lot of major warranty repairs. Mostly camshaft related. It was usually in the dealer for 3 weeks each of the three times. Our very own Lightcycle had 3 final drives put in his bmw.(high mileage tho)
The internet never forgets. Horror stories from the 70s about Ducati and Triumph still haunt them.
My take on Ducati, is that it's all about the build quality. Italian made bikes are so much nicer to work on. Honda is horrible to work on with its obsession for plastic panels interlocking with fragile tabs and all held together with an assortment of stupid pushpins.
Having said all this, i am a little biased. I barely ride these days, and have a lot of time to tinker. Flame suit on.

You need a different Honda if that's the case. My old Magna was pretty much a dream to work on.

Back
Top Bottom