Who's still riding? (Fall & Winter 2019 Edition) | Page 22 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Who's still riding? (Fall & Winter 2019 Edition)

Yea end of this week is looking very wintery, but man that sun is nice! Soon...soon!

I didn't want to make a new thread, and this is the most active one on the forum.

Just wanted to share an article about what should be a well known fact: DOT stickers mean nothing.

Not every DOT-only helmet is bad. But they do give that sticker out too easily so buyer beware.

In preparation for the next riding season, I recommend checking real reviews on your helmets, and if necessary upgrade to something ECE or Snell.

Safe travels!

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Costco Woodbridge tonight.... wow... and this is in snowfall warning. Gotta be one of the craziest things i’ve ever seenCDD49C7A-5236-46B4-A733-F32450458886.jpeg

I was in a parking lot and a Ninja pulled up and parked beside me on Wed, Feb 5th.
Female rider.

Last ride was on jan 6 for the day. Snowmobile gear and go hahaha

Sent from my iPhone using GTAMotorcycle.com

Went out in the Mustang today up Caledon way and it was tempting to get on the GSX-S when I got home and head back out ... felt warmer than it was but I knew the wind would make all the difference.

@mistersouthpaw and I went for a quick mid-day jaunt yesterday, was fine around town and for 5 minutes' worth of highway.

I got to try my first modern 600 (his 2016 ZX6R) - man, I can't imagine ever wanting the extra torque and ~70 ponies one gets from a liter bike. Roll-on power is plenty sufficient even starting at 100km/h in 6th.

Hate the riding position, love the engine.

G0hNKTH.jpg
Thing about power is you learn by experience. Why you ask? 600cc power moves your body, litre power moves your soul.

Okay.

I did spend a day/500kms on a stock BMW S1000R (the upright naked, not the superbike) about 5 years ago, but I was honestly too green to exploit even a tiny bit of its capabilities.

The one thing I noticed was that the gearing felt awkward for regular putting-around-town. 50km/h in 2nd seemed to bog the engine, and downshifting in 1st was obnoxiously loud. Wrong tool for the job obviously, but the stock ZX6R seems a lot more streetable.

Oh, I also rode a Triumph Rocket III several times. That thing stirred my soul. :love:

When I was younger I would ride in January and February anytime the temp was above 7 or 8 and no snow on the road.
(and by younger, I mean in my early 40's lol) I know we have had debates here whether it is more dangerous to ride now than 20 years ago. (or 30, or 40)
I feel it is. I was hit 4 years ago by a lady texting.
I won't ride in the winter any longer. The road is cold, my tires are cold, but the main reason, people are just not looking for bikes at this time of year. People are not looking for motorcycles in the summer.
I'm not here to preach, but I read this tonight.

A few weeks ago I saw a motorcycle near my work. That night on CP24 I heard the guy was hit by a car at Simcoe and Bloor in Oshawa, near where I saw him.

I have been riding on the street for 49 years now, not one year without a motorcycle in all that time. So I guess, it doesn't bug me enough now that I have to wait till spring, like someone that has only been riding for 5 or 6 years and is more anxious. Like I said, even when I was 40 I would be out on a reasonably good day in the winter.
I just feel you have to be so much more careful at this time of year, if you are going to ride.

I did about 250 km on Sunday (rode around Lake Simcoe) and about 300 km Monday (Basically rode to Campbellford and a few little side trips.) It was -3 to -5 most of the day yesterday and non-backroads were in great shape. On Sunday hwy 27 around Barrie had some sketchy spots with some drifting across the roads.

This time of year lots of people seem to notice the bike and wave or give thumbs-up. Even several sledders waved.

..Tom

litre power moves your soul.
and the fuel needle.
My CBF1000 never saw a gas station it didn't want to stop in and guzzle. ? Yeah acceleration was a thrill but got too costly and too limiting in range.

When I was younger I would ride in January and February anytime the temp was above 7 or 8 and no snow on the road.
(and by younger, I mean in my early 40's lol) I know we have had debates here whether it is more dangerous to ride now than 20 years ago. (or 30, or 40)
I feel it is. I was hit 4 years ago by a lady texting.
I won't ride in the winter any longer. The road is cold, my tires are cold, but the main reason, people are just not looking for bikes at this time of year. People are not looking for motorcycles in the summer.
I'm not here to preach, but I read this tonight.

A few weeks ago I saw a motorcycle near my work. That night on CP24 I heard the guy was hit by a car at Simcoe and Bloor in Oshawa, near where I saw him.

I have been riding on the street for 49 years now, not one year without a motorcycle in all that time. So I guess, it doesn't bug me enough now that I have to wait till spring, like someone that has only been riding for 5 or 6 years and is more anxious. Like I said, even when I was 40 I would be out on a reasonably good day in the winter.
I just feel you have to be so much more careful at this time of year, if you are going to ride.

huh? Why is a 14yr old riding a bike in Mid February, let alone riding on the roads, what's the legal riding age?

??? I said when I was younger and by younger I meant I was in my early 40s. (that's why I had the "lol", because 40 now seems so much younger) I rode my bike in the winter from 16 to maybe 43. I stopped riding in the winter after that. I have been putting my bike away in early November now for 20 years.

no no, not referring to you, the article you posted, sorry

"A 14 year old male on a motorcycle was struck on Stevenson rd north of Taunton around 8 pm this evening in Oshawa "

no no, not referring to you, the article you posted, sorry

"A 14 year old male on a motorcycle was struck on Stevenson rd north of Taunton around 8 pm this evening in Oshawa "

I thought i heard on 680 News that it was an E-Bike.

..Tom

Back
Top Bottom