Who's still riding? (Fall & Winter 2018 Edition) | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Who's still riding? (Fall & Winter 2018 Edition)

Lots of riding left for the year! I'm a bit over 42,000 km this year.. should be able to get to 50,000 km.

..Tom

I wish I had that sort of time. Jealous.

Had I got in the trip to Chisasibi / James Bay Road I’d have had my 20K goal in easily, but ugh, once again, it didn’t happen this summer.

There’s chatter about doing A trip west (Sturgis etc) next year but just not sure it’ll jive with vacation allotments.

I did an overnighter into quebec the weekend of the 15/16th (temps were in the high 20s) but haven't ridden since then. Cold last weekend, and cold this upcoming weekend, high of only 13. Hopefully we'll have a few more warm weekends this year.

I rode in every month a few times last "season". Will have to see what this one brings, it's supposed to be brutal...

So far the Woolly Bear Caterpillars I have seen are suggesting it will be a relatively normal winter so far, perhaps a bit on the mild side.

pIZWm2f.jpg

..Tom

I wish I had that sort of time. Jealous.

Had I got in the trip to Chisasibi / James Bay Road I’d have had my 20K goal in easily, but ugh, once again, it didn’t happen this summer.

There’s chatter about doing A trip west (Sturgis etc) next year but just not sure it’ll jive with vacation allotments.

I got a couple of bigger trips in this year. In May a Solo trip. Port Perry -> Mississippi -> Albuquerque -> Eastern Arizona (to visit my Daughter), Winslow Arizona, Pike's Peak, Montana and home. About 11,000 km. Then last month Newfoundland and Labrador. About 7,700 km. For the rest of the year I suspect mainly commuting and some weekend rides up north.

..Tom

I rode in every month a few times last "season". Will have to see what this one brings, it's supposed to be brutal...
My favorite time of year for riding, rural roads are less congested, drivers are as conditioned as they will ever be to the presence of motorcycles, cool temps, fall colours.

Ill ride anytime the temp is above 5c.

My favorite time of year for riding, rural roads are less congested, drivers are as conditioned as they will ever be to the presence of motorcycles, cool temps, fall colours.

My no-ride limit is ice and snow (or the potential of) on the road. In this calendar year the lowest I have ridden in is -18°c. No bugs!

..Tom

So far the Woolly Bear Caterpillars I have seen are suggesting it will be a relatively normal winter so far, perhaps a bit on the mild side.

pIZWm2f.jpg

..Tom

Well, good. I'll trust that little little guy instead of my coworker who was yapping about the harsh winter coming!

Yes,Yes and Yes! Finger Lakes this weekend. Best time of the year

In Kawarthas roads are pretty empty weekdays post Labour Day and even better after Thanksgiving.

With layering and heated jacket, gloves and socks available I'll ride until the roads are salted, brined, or sanded.

Oh oh! It was as low as +5 on my ride in to work this morning.

..Tom
o_O your bike has an external temp gauge? Look at Mr. FancyPants over here. Ride was a little chilly at 5:45 this am. Left hand was ok holding on to my reg/rec, right hand was a little chillier. Wasn't ready to break out the thicker gloves.

o_O your bike has an external temp gauge? Look at Mr. FancyPants over here. Ride was a little chilly at 5:45 this am. Left hand was ok holding on to my reg/rec, right hand was a little chillier. Wasn't ready to break out the thicker gloves.

I think a temperature readout is pretty common on newer bikes. My 2012 and current Strom have them as standard. Here is my 2015 V-Strom 1000 down in Mississippi or Missouri back in May:

YC7U5lM.jpg

I ride in a lot of conditions including down well below freezing so a temperature display is important to me.

Here is a picture I took of the temperature display I added to my 2006 V-Strom heading into Death Valley back in 2011:

UKoFw0f.jpg

(Sorry for the poor quality.)

..Tom

Commuting game still strong for me on my CB650F. Milton to Scarborough daily.
Had base layer and neck warmer on today, not hating riding on chilly mornings, yet :)

Hmm thread does seem early as the leaves are just maybe starting to turn.

I just checked and I somehow put on 21000 :D. Last year I rode up until Dec 5th. So I would say maybe another 4k.
I find this time of the year very pleasant, crisp days, good sun, and long light (as in when the sun is setting). Even with the days getting shorter. I think the bike likes the cooler temps as well.

This past Sunday, wandering towards Cambridge.

IMG_2337.JPG

IMG_2341.JPG

IMG_2345.JPG

IMG_2350.JPG

Hmm thread does seem early as the leaves are just maybe starting to turn.

I just checked and I somehow put on 21000 :D. Last year I rode up until Dec 5th. So I would say maybe another 4k.
I find this time of the year very pleasant, crisp days, good sun, and long light (as in when the sun is setting). Even with the days getting shorter. I think the bike likes the cooler temps as well.

This past Sunday, wandering towards Cambridge.

Nice bike and nice pics!

..Tom

I'm almost done. The Supercorsa SP tires on my Tuono are spooky when cold (e.g. mornings now) and my work has me leaving near sunset lately so it's basically dark when I get out the door.

I'll still ride on warm weekend days but I probably won't be riding to work anymore this year.

+3... way too early for this thread. lol

Tough crowd this year. Too many oil or wave threads to keep people busy right now or something? ;)

Just got back from a few hours out with 3 other riding buddies. Brisk indeed but we dressed well. Stopped at point B for an hour at a Tims (yeah, not my favourite place, but it was convenient) and I'll tell ya one thing, there wasn't many others at this particular usually busy (for bikes) location.

Apparently even the bike night in Peterborough was a low turnout. Early sunset plus cold temps has a lot of people already parked.

So yeah, a lot of people are decidedly not still riding, present company aside. ;)

Back
Top Bottom