Who's dreaming up something big for next year? | GTAMotorcycle.com

Who's dreaming up something big for next year?

PrivatePilot

Ironus Butticus
Site Supporter
So tired of the politics threads. Seems to be a lack of oil or wave threads, as well as 16 year olds with M1's in the insurance forum wondering why they can't insure that new 'Busa.

So lets look forward to next year.. Anyone got anything big in mind?

I'm dying for some big mile endurance riding. I never really got that out of my system this summer for lack of interesting/distant destinations, so I'm sniffing around at shooting out to to California in 3 (maybe 2.5) days. Stay a day or two (a night on the Queen Mary is a bucket list thing) then come home over 4 days heading east while seeing a few different sites. This is all assuming the border is open again by mid to late summer. Who knows.

James Bay Road is still on my list as well but who knows what next summer will bring for the far north - to get all the way up there and not be able to get to James Bay itself because the reserves are still off limits would suck big time.

Would also like to get back down to the Dragon again.

really wanted to do the PCH and back up Rt 66 last summer
didn't happen of course

maybe this coming year

I still want to do the JBR. 2 aborted attempts at the hands of Mother Nature (blizzard closure and tail of a hurricane).

I want to live on the water next summer. Maybe dock at Ontario place, I’m work from home till Nov 2021, may never get a chance to summer on the boat.

My other option is to make base camp in Northern Ontario. I have a place in Porcupine, I’m running out of years with respect to exploring rugged routes, could knock off plenty including the JBR and part of the TT.

Looking at the US Covid numbers, they are on the fast track to herd immunity. If it happens soon enough, a little planning and I could be a nomad for a few months. WFH is anywhere I can get a dependable internet connection.

I need the pandemic to show me a few ways thru before making any concrete plans.

really wanted to do the PCH and back up Rt 66 last summer
didn't happen of course

maybe this coming year
Did Route 66 in 1980 again in 1993 by car. Done the PCH from Ensinada to Vancouver a handful of times on a bike, it never gets old.

Was looking this yr to do the trans lab run, Hopefully they don't have it all paved next yr before i get my chance to lay down a few miles in the gravel. If things are going good i would cross to NF and ride down and grab the ferry back to CB then scoot home. was hoping to do this ride in a 3wk span

Hopefully the new wind screen will work out, making it more comfortable for longer runs, planning on doing more touring, was hoping for the states but thats not happening

Still, canada is a vast country

If the border opens up and it's safe I would like to get back down to the Smokie Mts in May 2021.
We have been going down there in the spring for the last 6 years and really enjoy it.
Of course, we missed this year :(
The only other plan is to go back out to BC again but this time I'll truck her out and ride back.
Prolly do this in early August.

Last edited:
I spent some time this summer exploring the area around the cottage, which was nice, but not really a substitute.

If the Covid situation changes greatly for the better and I can safely travel next summer, I actually have no idea where I would go. I have a couple of states on the west coast and I think some on the east coast, and PEI to check off my list, so I might set about a big circle tour. I dunno.

Right now I'm feeling like I'm missing the ability to travel, rather that missing out on a particular destination, if that makes sense.

My wife asked me the other day if I’m going to be one of those riders that takes off on their spouse for a month long riding trip every year. I said no - I’d do that very other year but must go to the Smokies any year that no big trip is planned.

So Deals Gap it is next year, if we have widespread vaccine administration by then!

I spent some time this summer exploring the area around the cottage, which was nice, but not really a substitute.

If the Covid situation changes greatly for the better and I can safely travel next summer, I actually have no idea where I would go. I have a couple of states on the west coast and I think some on the east coast, and PEI to check off my list, so I might set about a big circle tour. I dunno.

Right now I'm feeling like I'm missing the ability to travel, rather that missing out on a particular destination, if that makes sense.
Personally I was not a huge fan of PEI as a riding destination. Most of the roads are well back from the water and there seems to be a lot more sand in the corners than NS (which I really enjoyed).

Personally I was not a huge fan of PEI as a riding destination. Most of the roads are well back from the water and there seems to be a lot more sand in the corners than NS (which I really enjoyed).

Exactly why it's the last on my list. I even crossed off Nunavut on a JBR trip. I've been there a number of times and it's beautiful, but not great riding. Still, if one is checking off boxes, the box must eventually be checked.

My wife asked me the other day if I’m going to be one of those riders that takes off on their spouse for a month long riding trip every year. I said no - I’d do that very other year but must go to the Smokies any year that no big trip is planned.

I mean, the v-strom does have a pillion seat... if she comes along, she's part of the adventure!

did you get a chance to ride down around the south shore going past Mahon bay and Yarmouth.

the problem i find in NS is some of the roads are in bad shape when you’re off the main hwy

Oh good grief, no they're not.
With a population of 330m, herd immunity kicks in at 200m or 60%, and is working well at 225m 70%. (total infected + immunized).

55k cases a day 30 days ago. 180k cases a day last Friday. Do the math, this week the USA could be above 1m infections per week. By mid Dec that number could hit 1m/ day.

The US has 11m confirmed, experts say the number of confirmed cases represents 5% to 25% of actual cases, with an average of 10%, so the real number may be closer to 100m infected so far. If they don’t attack the curve, the next 100m may not take too long — they have 6 mos.

they went from 10 mill to 11 mill cases last week
if nothing is done to control the spread
then yeah, they are headed for herd immunity before long

the fatality rate does seem to be also dropping
disease is getting better understood and treated
and sequestering those most vulnerable is helping

could quite easily be looking at 1 million dead in 6 months though
most other places would find that unacceptable

Opening up several kilometres of virgin single track motorcycle trails,
that I have decided are omg way easier to ride then to hike.
I'm old, I ride way better then I can walk on that rough terrain now, my trials bike is like a personal mobility device, I Need it.

Other then that I'll probably host at least one 2 day trial again next year and ride in as many as I can, which is not big that's normal.

I want to do the Cabot trail, take the ferry up to Newfoundland and ride across that half of the province. Do the loop back from the trans lab highway down to Quebec and back home.

Depending on the weeks available, it's either the ride above or the Dempster highway.

..Or at-least that's what the plan is!

they went from 10 mill to 11 mill cases last week
if nothing is done to control the spread
then yeah, they are headed for herd immunity before long

Assuming natural immunity lasts. That's still questionable. All the people who have had it in that 12 month period and may have been immune....may not be any longer, so there never is a herd in the end.

Lots of unanswered questions still on that topic.

Anyhow, for anyone who hasn't done it who's looking for something on the east coast, keep Gaspe in mind. Our little RV trip out there a month or so back was pretty awesome. Once you get to a certain point the roads are pretty great, and the scenery as well.

Back
Top Bottom