Who the hell insures sportbikes anymore? | GTAMotorcycle.com

Who the hell insures sportbikes anymore?

TwistedKestrel

King of GTAM
Site Supporter
I have been on the phone with a number of brokers and am now somewhat baffled with what I've learned. Insurances companies that people on this very board claim to be insured with, are telling me that they do not write policies for sportbikes.

CNIB (Intact, Wawanesa, others? I already forget) - Nope. This blows my mind most of all, that they cannot currently sell insurance for sportbikes. Probably most of the customers that they bought from Kaspard were sportbike riders, did they lose all of them?!
Allstate - Nope, unless you've been insured with them with a car for two years apparently?!?!
Desjardins - Nope
Duffy - (Intact only) Nope
TD/MM - Yup, but their rates are crap

Last edited:
SF - Yup, marginally less crappy than TD/MM... I was mistakenly under the impression that they had given up when Desjardins bought their business

Weird- Can confirm I am currently with Aviva.

I'm not sure that I didn't make that up then, removing it

Edit: Although if you are riding a Ninja 300, that would not be considered a sportbike by insurance companies

Last edited:
I'm not sure that I didn't make that up then, removing it

Edit: Although if you are riding a Ninja 300, that would not be considered a sportbike by insurance companies

dont know about that, it does say "ninja"!

My ins. co. won't insure sport bikes anymore. I'm grandfathered otherwise I wouldn't be. I can insure a newer replacemnet of the same model at least.

SurNet (Aviva) - Nope

Are you calling offices directly? or just the generic contact numbers/emails they have?

They won't insure at all? or at reasonable rates?

If you have been riding long enough this problem crops up over the years. Jevco back in the day black listed all the sportbikes so those of us with homes and cars forced them to write the sportbike policy or move somewhere that did. It is called tied selling and they all do it these days.

Solo sportbike insurance is expensive.

Are you calling offices directly? or just the generic contact numbers/emails they have?

They won't insure at all? or at reasonable rates?

Anyone I've listed as "nope" says they don't insure sportbikes at all. SF and TD/MM do insure, but their rates suck.

Allstate and Desjardin I called the generic contacts (which are capable of offering motorcycle quotes otherwise), may try a local Allstate broker

I'm guessing you're at least 30. What bike and what do you consider rates that suck? I can't see more than $100 a month for you, if I had to guess.
Sent from my Nokia Lumia 625 Windows Phone using Tapatalk

I am over 30. I would be pretty happy if I could get anywhere near $100 a month. I have been quoting a parked 96 ZX11 that I own. SF quoted me 1800 ish. TD/MM was 2200 I think, which is about quadruple what I am paying them for my GS500

I guess it doesn't pay to live in the gta. That rate is absolute extortion. Insurance is such a scam in Ontario. I recently heard dalton timmis will also insure sport bikes. My understanding is you have td, sf, allstate and possibly dt to choose from for ss bikes. That said I thought after a certain age of bike they became cheap?

Someone (Kingsway?) had a 15 year old exemption for their sportbike blacklist, but it was not necessarily a rolling exemption (the "old enough" year did not change every year). I'm actually waiting to hear back from a broker on that now, but I suspect it's a dead end.

Also, I don't live in the GTA. I live in Grimsby

Are you insuring 1 or 2 bikes?
Motorcycle only? or do you have tenant/home/car ins? check there see if you can bundle.

Over 30 clean record, yeah, you're looking at 1500-1900 for FULL coverage in the GTA. Half that if you just do Liability + fire & theft. Absolute rip-off regardless.

And I am quoting standard bare-bones policies ($1 mil liability only, unaltered health benefits)

Call an Allstate agent directly. Don't remember who I called (found his contact on this board) and he quoted me $1300/yr but I was SOL, I'm not 30yrs old.

Sent pm

I am over 30. I would be pretty happy if I could get anywhere near $100 a month. I have been quoting a parked 96 ZX11 that I own. SF quoted me 1800 ish. TD/MM was 2200 I think, which is about quadruple what I am paying them for my GS500

I would understand if you lived where I do, but Grimsby? Wow.

I would say Dalton Timmins, but mine is with Aviva and it sounds like you already tried them. I'm over 30, clean record full M, and they were my best quote. Might still be worth calling.

I would also try Intact. I got some quotes before the new year when I was considering changing bikes, and anything 16 years or older and 600cc+ was about $1150

Back
Top Bottom