Who rides a Ruckus (in the winter)? | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Who rides a Ruckus (in the winter)?

For something like this I might ask the local dealer to souce it out. You found the tire, and that's half the battle.

FS motorcycle can get them but they are EXPENSIVE for a scooter tire...(that is just the K66 snowtex, found the K66LT after I emailed him)

This idea sparked my interest again. I was wondering if there is any disadvantages to switching insurance between - a small scooter and my daily summer commuter. My insurance charges the same $ amount monthly, I was thinking of buying some cheap scooter and insuring it for the summer months. When spring arrives - take the scooter off and put the summer bike back on.

I wouldn't necessarily be riding the scooter, it would just be insured so I can pay like $20 a month instead of $200 for the summer bike. Both bikes will be in storage.

Let me make this a bit more clear, both bikes will not be insured at the same time.
Winter: scooter
summer: daily bike

Last edited:
This idea sparked my interest again. I was wondering if there is any disadvantages to switching insurance between - a small scooter and my daily summer commuter. My insurance charges the same $ amount monthly, I was thinking of buying some cheap scooter and insuring it for the summer months. When spring arrives - take the scooter off and put the summer bike back on.

I wouldn't necessarily be riding the scooter, it would just be insured so I can pay like $20 a month instead of $200 for the summer bike. Both bikes will be in storage.

I don't completely understand what you are trying to do, but if you think you will pay less insurance by having 2 bikes instead of one, there is a substantial error in your logic. Check the threads by vifferfun for information on how insurance works.

Let me make this a bit more clear, both bikes will not be insured at the same time.

Your post gave me a headache, but whatever it is that you're proposing won't work.

I'm pretty sure you'll get charged full year for both bikes. That's what sf told me when I wanted to do something like this.

I figured I shouldn't have asked this, I screwed up the question... Anyways

I read those insurance sticky, my insurance isn't like st or td. I pay 12 equal payments, switching over to a scooter in the winter will be cheaper.

I figured I shouldn't have asked this, I screwed up the question... Anyways

I read those insurance sticky, my insurance isn't like st or td. I pay 12 equal payments, switching over to a scooter in the winter will be cheaper.

Call your insurance company. They may not like it if you switch back and forth between two vehicles.

I was able to move my coverage over to the scooter without having to take a second policy out. It was up to the discretion of the broker, not the insurance company.

You should be able to insure both vehicles and only pay marginally more or the same. The reason it doesn't save you to "store" it in the winter (ie take liability off the bike) is because of how your premium is earned with more being earned in the summer months than the winter months. So sure you could store it over the winter but you'd only save like 10% of the whole year by doing that so it's not really worth it. However, if you stored the scooter all summer and then rode it in the winter, you'd be saving like 90% of your premium (on that bike).

So basically you'd only save maybe less than a month's worth of insurance on the motorcycle but then at the same time you'd only be paying like a month's worth on the scooter.

I'm probably way off on my numbers but it should still work.

You should be able to insure both vehicles and only pay marginally more or the same. The reason it doesn't save you to "store" it in the winter (ie take liability off the bike) is because of how your premium is earned with more being earned in the summer months than the winter months. So sure you could store it over the winter but you'd only save like 10% of the whole year by doing that so it's not really worth it. However, if you stored the scooter all summer and then rode it in the winter, you'd be saving like 90% of your premium (on that bike).

So basically you'd only save maybe less than a month's worth of insurance on the motorcycle but then at the same time you'd only be paying like a month's worth on the scooter.

I'm probably way off on my numbers but it should still work.

I agree, as you know from the personal insurance they don't use % of each month.

I agree, as you know from the personal insurance they don't use % of each month.
I honestly have no experience with that. I've never bothered to ask them about reducing the coverage on the bike during the winter. I just assumed they either used something similar to StateFarm or would make me pay for the whole year.

Back
Top Bottom