Who is heading across the border ? | Page 3 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Who is heading across the border ?

Saw something on the news that Canadians needs to take a Covid Test 48hrs prior to returning. Covid Test in the US I don't think is cheap!

Saw something on the news that Canadians needs to take a Covid Test 48hrs prior to returning. Covid Test in the US I don't think is cheap!
It's actually 72 hours, and it has to be a PCR test, not a rapid test, not an antigen test, and it's been like this for a few months, and it's all explained on the government's website (and elsewhere). Ask me how I know that a PCR test in Spain costs 105 euro (less than it costs here)!

Which city is a better vacation spot. atmosphere, general cost of restaurants, transportation

Can't speak to transport as I always get a rental which I would strongly recommend, LA traffic definitely sucks though. Restaurants are amazing, especially Mexican. Travel cost is near the same, San Diego is a bit cheaper. I adore California as a whole, it's my happy place.

I love LA for it's variety of neighbourhoods, everything is so spread out that each area has a unique feel and atmosphere. Santa Barbara (1.5hour drive but meh), Malibu, Venice/Santa Monica, Downtown LA, Hollywood Hills, Korea Town, Newport Beach, Silver Lake/Echo Park, and on and on. If it was only one "city", definitely LA.

San Diego has a much smaller feel and vibe to it, still great, just less variety of things. Coronado and La Jolla are highlights. Can walk/drive into Tijuana which is a very cool place in itself.

If you get a rental, you don't have to limit yourself to one city, there are a ton of amazing little spots everywhere. I normally fly into LA and drive around everywhere. Alternatively, I've done a couple fly in/road trips in the area, itinerary below

- Fly into San Francisco, Napa, double back and drive down the PCH (give yourself time, so many places to see) to LA, then San Diego/Tijuana. Double back to San Francisco on the interstate (smarter thing would be to fly out of San Diego)

- Fly into Las Vegas, south through Joshua Tree, Salton Sea, west near the Mexican border to San Diego, north to LA, back east to Vegas (once again, smarter would be just to fly out of LA)

LA, CA
DFW, TX

These are my spots. Always feel at home when i am there. Have a soft spot for Destin, FL but not sure i can live there (too small for me)

I have never been but would like to go to Daytona bike week at least once. Anyone been there and can recommend good routes to take and RV sites. I've look on google maps and camping sites but any recommendation can also help.

san diego !

go to the usa park where the ocean / the usa / and mexico meet. leave your vehicle on USA side in the park.

stand on the state side and buy tacos over the fence - off a friendly mexican for 50 cents !

and when the coast is clear jump the fence and head into Tijauna mexico. yeah baby ! or go to the beach and slip over to mexico while beach swimming. Way more fun than going through customs lol.

buy a 1/2 dozen bottles of wormy tequilla - to bring back over the border the same way lol

but, dang covid,....dang.

@boyoboy San Diego proper is a 45 minute car ride to Tijuana, however, as you said, there is a US/Mexico Beach Border as well as Friendship Park of the Californias...looking at pictures online though, there's a fence with barbed wire on top, so I don't think I'd want to be hopping that fence... :D

If you get a rental, you don't have to limit yourself to one city, there are a ton of amazing little spots everywhere. I normally fly into LA and drive around everywhere. Alternatively, I've done a couple fly in/road trips in the area, itinerary below

LA is usually the cheapest place to fly into and the cheapest place to rent cars. From LA you're just hours from a lot of great places. Sans Diego is a great place to hang around in, lots to do and many options for day trips. Only concern with CA is finding time between floods, fires and general pestilence to actually enjoy a vacation.

Something to keep in mind for those Covid wary.

Just flew through Houston to Mexico City. At the Houston Airport, maybe 20% of people weren't wearing masks despite signage saying it's required. Got lunch at the on site Marriott, that dropped to about 50%.

Curiously, in Mexico City everyone wears masks everywhere and pretty much all the time. Corner taco guy, people strolling around, masks everywhere.

Something to keep in mind for those Covid wary.

Just flew through Houston to Mexico City. At the Houston Airport, maybe 20% of people weren't wearing masks despite signage saying it's required. Got lunch at the on site Marriott, that dropped to about 50%.

Curiously, in Mexico City everyone wears masks everywhere and pretty much all the time. Corner taco guy, people strolling around, masks everywhere.
The mexicans know real hardship.

The americans are spoiled and think a mask equals nazi germany.

If I cross the border on November 8th (thinking about Niagara falls) and return a few hours later, do I still need a negative test?

Yes, although for such short visits, it can be a test that was conducted in Canada before you left ... as long as the time of the test was within 72 hours of you going through passport control on your return to Canada.

I think I'll cross the weekend after it opens quick ride (weather permitting) to Rochester, settle some boating business then run back. Haven't touched US soil since April 2000... longest stretch since 1980.

Gonna do Palm Springs late Jan, then ride to Naples FL for a Margaritaville week.

Covid numbers are still stupid in a lit of the US but they arel exiting their 4th wave. I hope boosters are available by Jan

Back
Top Bottom