Who is heading across the border ? | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Who is heading across the border ?

4 of the guys I work with all have houses and ski in Ellicottville every weekend , if covid tests are required coming back that will add some crap to the program. I'll be skiing as soon as the coast is clear.

The only warm place in US in Feb are Fla and AZ , both pretty toxic right now.
Hawaii isn't bad in Feb.

I imagine GA and CA are warm in the winter as well

@bigpoppa we were in Oceanside CA for Christmas a few years ago visiting my step son (about an hour or so north of San Diego) and surprisingly it wasn't that warm...usually around 6-10 degrees in the mornings with a high of around 16 in the afternoons...definitely warmer than here, but nothing to write home about...

4 of the guys I work with all have houses and ski in Ellicottville every weekend , if covid tests are required coming back that will add some crap to the program. I'll be skiing as soon as the coast is clear.
I haven't been skiing at elicottvile in 40 years. beautiful hill. they still have the runs through the tight conifers ! best luck this winter.

for the east, sugar loaf maine rocks with 2700' elevation and comfy gondala's...

Last edited:
I haven't been skiing at elicottvile in 40 years. beautiful hill. they still have the runs through the tight conifers ! best luck this winter.

for the east, sugar loaf maine rocks with 2700' elevation and comfy gondala's...
On those trips 40yrs ago, did you ever stop at Truby's?

Might shoot down for an overnighter (or 2) in PA for some fun riding if this warm weather holds into November.

Haven't been there in 5 years. Maybe I'll take a trip there next year. Things are still too messed to go there this year, and the season is almost over.

I grew up skiing in Ellicottville, unfortunately haven’t been back in 20 yrs. I have managed to get to tremblant and Banff so that was amazing.

Sent from my iPhone using GTAMotorcycle.com mobile app

Agree. I present only cert 2 but have cert 1 with me in case they ask for it. So far nobody has asked for it (although I've only gone to two places where a check was required).
From my understanding both forms/slips have to be uploaded into the arrivecan app that is required to cross the border.

From my understanding both forms/slips have to be uploaded into the arrivecan app that is required to cross the border.
From my understanding ArriveCan is for coming back.

I grew up skiing in Ellicottville, unfortunately haven’t been back in 20 yrs. I have managed to get to tremblant and Banff so that was amazing.

Well in the last 20 years Holiday Valley has replaced two of their old chairlifts with high speed detachable chairs and are currently in the process of putting in another that will be ready for this season. They also opened up even more terrain. Can't remember when the newer lodges were completed, but Tannenbaum Lodge is the most recent and probably less than 20 years old. Last time we got down there was February 2020 and would like to get back there this season.

I've skied Banff, but never Tremblant. We typically ski the East and drive, so our preferred destination is Gore Mountain in NY, with side trips into central Vermont as well. Might have to give Tremblant a try if the US doesn't accept my Phizer/Moderna blend and the testing requirements are maintained in order to get back into Canada.

yeah Skiied Ellicottville back in the day. Fun, similar to Blue Mountain with some varied terrian, not the same run cut 20 times across the same hill. But nothing compares to skiing out West, Banff, Sunshine, Whistler etc. Sunshine being one of my fav places to ski. Did lots of cold, icy, Quebec skiing as well, Tremblant, Mt St Anne et. Never got around to doing Le Massif though, one day.

Well in the last 20 years Holiday Valley has replaced two of their old chairlifts with high speed detachable chairs and are currently in the process of putting in another that will be ready for this season. They also opened up even more terrain. Can't remember when the newer lodges were completed, but Tannenbaum Lodge is the most recent and probably less than 20 years old. Last time we got down there was February 2020 and would like to get back there this season.

I've skied Banff, but never Tremblant. We typically ski the East and drive, so our preferred destination is Gore Mountain in NY, with side trips into central Vermont as well. Might have to give Tremblant a try if the US doesn't accept my Phizer/Moderna blend and the testing requirements are maintained in order to get back into Canada.

Last I skied Holiday they had just put the high speed
quad on Mardi Gras. At least I think that’s what it’s called, it’s been a long time.

Holiday is amazing for the area but nothing compared to Tremblant or Banff

Tremblant was recently taken over by intrawest when I was there and was a pleasure to ski and I last skied Sunshine Village in Banff a couple years ago. That was epic, the views from the top were epic. Just wish I had the same fitness I did a decade ago.

Image1634349427.985535.jpg

View attachment 51824
View attachment 51825

I might have messed that up a bit but hopefully it works

@bigpoppa we were in Oceanside CA for Christmas a few years ago visiting my step son (about an hour or so north of San Diego) and surprisingly it wasn't that warm...usually around 6-10 degrees in the mornings with a high of around 16 in the afternoons...definitely warmer than here, but nothing to write home about...

I've been to LA/San Diego a number of times in the winter months, weather can be up and down, but mostly up. Highs in the low 20's, and low's in the mid-teens.

Can be miserable when it's cold and rainy though.

yeah Skiied Ellicottville back in the day. Fun, similar to Blue Mountain with some varied terrian, not the same run cut 20 times across the same hill. But nothing compares to skiing out West, Banff, Sunshine, Whistler etc. Sunshine being one of my fav places to ski. Did lots of cold, icy, Quebec skiing as well, Tremblant, Mt St Anne et. Never got around to doing Le Massif though, one day.
Sunshine is the best!

That would be a cold spell, I lived there for 10 years, it rarely dips below 10c along the coast, most mornings in were 12 or so, days between 16 and 18.

The coastal temps are moderated by the sea temperature, 10 miles back from the ocean, the desert days get both colder and hotter.

back in high school we would take a chartered bus to ellicottville. great fun.

nice. spent a winter skiing/working in banff - straight out after high school lol.

Back
Top Bottom