Where to get a puppy? | Page 9 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Where to get a puppy?

I'm all for adoption but they make it so hard to adopt certain breeds of dogs that its almost impossible to get. You can walk into any pound and get a pitbull or a terrier or some random mix of dog and they'll thank you for taking it off their hands because they are in general less desirable dogs and there is 30 others just like it in the cages beside it. You want a golden retriever, or a shiba, etc., they are in such high demand that there are questionnaires to fill out before they would even consider letting you adopt it - how big is your yard, is it fenced, how many walks per day will you take it on, how long, how many hours a day do you work, etc. etc. etc. The local shelter got a golden retriever in December and essentially like buying a house, said that because of how high the demand they expect for the dog, you had until x date to put in a questionnaire and then they would review them all after... I'm not jumping through hoops to spend money - a dog is a dog whether it is in a shelter or in someone's house.

I went with Kijiji - bought our dog from a family that had two goldens that missed the window to spay the female. Obviously not a puppy mill, the owner obviously cared for all the dogs, still texts me asking for pictures of her.

ABQRPAf.jpeg
that's totally true!
i have 2 kids and a whole bunch of dogs in the house all day every day, i dont think theyll let us take any dog LOL

but then we're an amazing environment for dogs as they get tons of exercise (she walks about 10km daily), they get socialized and tons of love from us (esp my youngest, he cuddles them at every chance he gets)

but a lot of dogs need "to be the only dog and to not have kids in the picture" so that reaaaaaaally narrows down our choices. As our old 14 y old dog shows signs of her age, we think about it here and there. It'll be interesting!

I'm all for adoption but they make it so hard to adopt certain breeds of dogs that its almost impossible to get. You can walk into any pound and get a pitbull or a terrier or some random mix of dog and they'll thank you for taking it off their hands because they are in general less desirable dogs and there is 30 others just like it in the cages beside it. You want a golden retriever, or a shiba, etc., they are in such high demand that there are questionnaires to fill out before they would even consider letting you adopt it - how big is your yard, is it fenced, how many walks per day will you take it on, how long, how many hours a day do you work, etc. etc. etc. The local shelter got a golden retriever in December and essentially like buying a house, said that because of how high the demand they expect for the dog, you had until x date to put in a questionnaire and then they would review them all after... I'm not jumping through hoops to spend money - a dog is a dog whether it is in a shelter or in someone's house.

I went with Kijiji - bought our dog from a family that had two goldens that missed the window to spay the female. Obviously not a puppy mill, the owner obviously cared for all the dogs, still texts me asking for pictures of her.

ABQRPAf.jpeg
That’s because the breed specific adoptions are just run by volunteers who love that breed. Not the humane society etc. Some of them get a bit protective but the intention is good. We are on a Bouvier adoption group list and there’s a few times I’ve been tempted to drive for a day to pick up a new little (not so little) guy.

that's totally true!
i have 2 kids and a whole bunch of dogs in the house all day every day, i dont think theyll let us take any dog LOL

but then we're an amazing environment for dogs as they get tons of exercise (she walks about 10km daily), they get socialized and tons of love from us (esp my youngest, he cuddles them at every chance he gets)

but a lot of dogs need "to be the only dog and to not have kids in the picture" so that reaaaaaaally narrows down our choices. As our old 14 y old dog shows signs of her age, we think about it here and there. It'll be interesting!

Some put up restrictions like 'no kids' or 'no cats' as a default... I'd inquire before dismissing a fog you're interested in.

I even found breeders to be annoying. A lot of them wont even let you pick your dog from the litter, they pick which one they think will fit your personality the best.

And then all the ones I looked into make you sign a document that says you aren't allowed to breed your own dog without paying them more money. At no point would I ever want my dog to have puppies, but making me sign something that says I can't do something with my own pet doesn't sit right with me.

Like lady you want me to pay you $3000 for a dog, and then you want to tell me what I can and can't do with it? I'll just go somewhere else

We're fine tuning the process and wife is really dead set on a <20lb with a poodle mix of some type. Apparently they shed less 🤷‍♂️

Good thing is even if I can't walk the dog all the time, our yard is 40x60ft so plenty of room to run.

I even found breeders to be annoying. A lot of them wont even let you pick your dog from the litter, they pick which one they think will fit your personality the best.

And then all the ones I looked into make you sign a document that says you aren't allowed to breed your own dog without paying them more money. At no point would I ever want my dog to have puppies, but making me sign something that says I can't do something with my own pet doesn't sit right with me.

Like lady you want me to pay you $3000 for a dog, and then you want to tell me what I can and can't do with it? I'll just go somewhere else

How enforceable is that clause?

Seems like a “non-compete” clause rather than anything to do with the welfare of the animal. If the breeder thinks breeding is an issue that’s about as hypocritical as you can get. Don’t get me wrong, I think every dog should be spayed or neutered but I have more issues with “professional breeders” than I do with adoption places.

We're fine tuning the process and wife is really dead set on a <20lb with a poodle mix of some type. Apparently they shed less 🤷‍♂️

Good thing is even if I can't walk the dog all the time, our yard is 40x60ft so plenty of room to run.

I always thought poodles were slightly nuts. Maybe that’s just imaginary or associating them with french aristocracy or something.

I know...I'd rather the 20-50lb range, but she's concerned they're 'too big'.
Bring the wife and kids out to meet my dogs. Rhodesian Ridgebacks I think they will like them.
I have an 11 year old and a 4 year old so they will see how they age and behave etc.

How enforceable is that clause?

Seems like a “non-compete” clause rather than anything to do with the welfare of the animal. If the breeder thinks breeding is an issue that’s about as hypocritical as you can get. Don’t get me wrong, I think every dog should be spayed or neutered but I have more issues with “professional breeders” than I do with adoption places.
Not sure if it's enforceable.

Most of the puppy goldens in that price range have either one or both parents as show dogs, where their lineage matters. So if you were to show your dog and then try to have puppies, being from this long line of show dogs means your puppies are worth more.

I think it's more of a "you can't say your dog is related to my dog unless you pay money."

We had a golden retriever a few yrs back, he was a British saddleback, we bought him from a breeder in hockley valley, for 1800 and she kept the breeding rights to him, he was such a beautiful dog, he had a smile and a huge mane. If i find some pics ill post them up on a pet thread

Bring the wife and kids out to meet my dogs. Rhodesian Ridgebacks I think they will like them.
I have an 11 year old and a 4 year old so they will see how they age and behave etc.
Just don’t wear a tan fur coat with a fluffy collar.

Back
Top Bottom