Where do all the stock mufflers go ? | GTAMotorcycle.com

Where do all the stock mufflers go ?

Like all OEM parts that are replaced by aftermarket ones they get placed on a shelf in the garage or basement and gather dust for many many years. Then, then you decide to sell or trade in your ride you make the huge decision to strip off your aftermarket parts to sell them separately or leave them on. Either way, you've got a bunch of stuff left over to sell off or throw out.

Like all OEM parts that are replaced by aftermarket ones they get placed on a shelf in the garage or basement and gather dust for many many years. Then, then you decide to sell or trade in your ride you make the huge decision to strip off your aftermarket parts to sell them separately or leave them on. Either way, you've got a bunch of stuff left over to sell off or throw out.
There's a giant dumpster somewhere full of Harley stuff, that's for sure.

I hang them in the shed, if they EVER change the law we have talked about for 27yrs about banning aftermarket exhaust, I'm covered. Also covered for bikes I sold decades ago.

I also have a box of string labeled , "pieces of string to short to tie anything up with"

I also have a box of string labeled , "pieces of string to short to tie anything up with"
Hmm... If you tied your short strings together then tied your mufflers end-to-end with them how far would it stretch ?
Could this be the beginning of "loud strings save lives ?"

Hmm... If you tied your short strings together then tied your mufflers end-to-end with them how far would it stretch ?
Could this be the beginning of "loud strings save lives ?"
No...they would be muffled.

Were you a muffler or were you muffled?

I hang them in the shed, if they EVER change the law we have talked about for 27yrs about banning aftermarket exhaust, I'm covered. Also covered for bikes I sold decades ago.

Your muffler collection could be a pension plan if they become unobtanium.

I traded mine for a peperoni pizza. No idea what he wanted the stock muffler for but I thought it was a fair trade

Stupid sticker manufacturers are not going to be happy with this noise crackdown. London police pulled over this car on April 27th and gave them a muffler ticket.

179546487_4389091274435243_2989017855352941305_n.jpg

In all seriousness, do harley dealers have a special scrap metal bin out back for stock mufflers? They could probably fill a dumpster a week as it is a rare bike that leaves with it attached.

There was a Harley shop in Waterloo that sold custom bikes (bitsa bikes) and the owner kept all the old peanut tanks on a shelf near the ceiling. 30ftx40ft all the way round. All the pipes went to metal recycling.

I keep all my OEM stuff, but a lot of others sell it cheap which is great for people like me who want to replace scuffed or abused parts. :D (y)

To the curb for metal recyclers to pick up . Learned long time ago not to fill the garage with crap .

harley's already come customized, unless you count the t-shirt. but hey keep on haten

When I bought a used Sportster years back it had ear busting pipes. I wanted stock and went to the HD dealer on the Queensway and asked. I was too late. They just cleaned up the shop and dumped all the take-offs in a bin for scrap at a couple of cents a pound.

• Sad
Reactions: TK4
Or with some reasonable tools and decent mechanical skills (and google) many stock mufflers (slip on or otherwise) can be opened up and modified to perform and sound just like an aftermarket one.... mufflers ain't no rocket surgery. Not talking full exhaust here, just the typical "upgrade" of the muffler.

May not look as cool....maybe cooler....might not be as light? You can adjust how loud they are and maybe modify in steps. 5-0 pulls you over and you can say the exhaust is stock, and it has all the markings as such on the outside as stock (assuming you did not go totally crazy noise wise).

Which reminds me....I bought an aftermarket exhaust for my Rebel and never got around to it. I wonder where that thing is....

@crankcall do you keep the too short strings just in case you need em in the next decade?

• Haha
Reactions: TK4

Back
Top Bottom