When does a bike have too many hours? | GTAMotorcycle.com

When does a bike have too many hours?

Trackday

At what juncture does a dirt bike accumulate too many hours? What constitutes excessive hours, and what potential issues might arise? Let's consider a two-stroke model with over 200 hours on its clock, single track ridden only, but with only 40 hours on the top-end rebuild. Would this be a bike you'd decline, or would you consider purchasing it if the price aligns with its condition? If you decide to proceed, what would be a reasonable offer?

200 hrs wouldn't be an issue to me. Especially on a 2T. I had over that on a KTM 200xcw that was still on the original clutch. Changed the top end about 3 times and the bottom once. You will probably want to change all the bearings and seals though.

It's interesting how the advice on not worrying too much about a bike with over 200 hours can clash with the reality of trying to sell one. While seasoned riders and mechanics often reassure us that modern bikes can handle high hours if properly maintained, it's a whole different story when it comes to finding a buyer.

Selling a bike with over 200 hours can sometimes feel like trying to ward off vampires with garlic – buyers seem to steer clear unless the price is practically a steal. It's not uncommon for potential buyers to be wary of the wear and tear, potential maintenance costs, and overall perceived risk associated with a high-hour bike.

Even if the bike has been well cared for, it can still be a tough sell. That's why the $500 threshold often gets thrown around – it reflects the buyer's cautious mindset and the perceived value relative to the potential expenses down the road.

So while riding a high-hour bike might not be as daunting as it seems, selling one can definitely be a challenge due to buyer perceptions. It's all about finding the right balance between reassurance and realism when it comes to both riding and selling.

Many of the singletrack riders I ride with do 200hrs every year. Topends get done at 150-200hrs (they all ride euro 300's). They're Vet racers and bikes are kept impeccable. I would happily own one of their 600hr bikes.
I wouldn't touch the 100hr bikes owned by a few locals that aren't talented enough to ride singletrack so they blast atv trails and practice wheelies on backroads.

Back
Top Bottom