when are too old? | GTAMotorcycle.com

when are too old?

87m6chris

Just bought an /84 yamaha fj1100, before the bike was put in storage ten years ago it was fitted with new Metzelers. The bike has been in semi dark storage in an unheated garage, weight was off the tires the whole time, they look minty fresh but were made in March of 98...13 years old.
Do I risk it or chuck them in the bin?

I'm guessing minty fresh means no visible sidewall deterioration? Rip them for a bit and see how they stick?

Get new ones.... Why risk a crash or blow out. PLUS tire compounds have improved a lot in 13 years.

Get rid of them...Tires harden with age. I bought a bike with Michelin tires that looked like they were new but were 10 years old...Hard as a hockey puck, won't take the chance, don't take the chance.

I've used old tires before, and crashed because of them. Not worth it.
Get new rubber if you want to keep the shiny side up :)

Yeah, I know I should throw them out, thought I would ask just case.
But that full thickness rear tire is going to do one hellof smoke show before it goes to the dump:razz:

But that full thickness rear tire is going to do one hellof smoke show before it goes to the dump:razz:
Tagged for when the vids show up =)

-Jamie M.

Put a nice slash in the sidewall before you throw them out or someone will pick them out of the dumpster and put them on Craigslist.

I won't fit a tire more than 2.5 years old let alone ride on something 10+ years, throw them out, its cheap insurance.

Just bought an /84 yamaha fj1100, before the bike was put in storage ten years ago it was fitted with new Metzelers. The bike has been in semi dark storage in an unheated garage, weight was off the tires the whole time, they look minty fresh but were made in March of 98...13 years old.
Do I risk it or chuck them in the bin?
With close inspection,i'm guessing you would find some cracking.I would replace them.But on the other hand,the vintage folks would laugh at this.

I won't fit a tire more than 2.5 years old let alone ride on something 10+ years, throw them out, its cheap insurance.
2 1/2 is not that old in my opinion.The picture below is of the rear tire on my track Duc.I did Mosport last month doing 1/45's on them.They are going to Calabogie next week,which will prolly finish them off.I think common sense should prevail in a situation like this.There are a lot of variables that should influence the decision.
picture254e.jpg

Back
Top Bottom