Wheelie question... | GTAMotorcycle.com

Wheelie question...

Jamie C

Hey.. I'm kindof a newb to the stunting side of the industry but have decided I'd like to be confident enough on my bike to do a decent wheelie and maybe a stoppey...
What I want to know is .. Some of my fiends have changed there rear spockets to make it easier to lift the front wheel... Is this necessary or with practice should I be able to get it up and keep it up with OEM rear sprocket?
Also.. Is the change in gearing worth the difference in regular street drivability?? Thanks in advance for the advice..

My bike is a 2010 GSXR 600

Where is WHEELIEBOY when you need him!?!!

Hey.. I'm kindof a newb to the stunting side of the industry but have decided I'd like to be confident enough on my bike to do a decent wheelie and maybe a stoppey...
What I want to know is .. Some of my fiends have changed there rear spockets to make it easier to lift the front wheel... Is this necessary or with practice should I be able to get it up and keep it up with OEM rear sprocket?
Also.. Is the change in gearing worth the difference in regular street drivability?? Thanks in advance for the advice..

My bike is a 2010 GSXR 600

Although you dont "NEED" gearing, it sounds like you would like some. You will sacrifice some top speed and gas efficencey, but how much will depend on how big you go. From the sounds of it you dont want alot, just enough to give you a little more umph for lifting wheelies. The most popular starting point is -1 front +2 rear..Would a 15-20km/h decrease in top speed be a big deal to you? If not I think youd really like that little bit of gearing...

And BTW reguardless of wheelies, I like to gear every bike I own. Stock gearing is weak and I like a little more balls off the line even for a street bike...

The most popular starting point is -1 front +2 rear

I was just going to do -1 front for a quicker blast off the line. What difference would it be if I also did +2 rear? Not gonna be stunting it too much anyway...

I was just going to do -1 front for a quicker blast off the line. What difference would it be if I also did +2 rear? Not gonna be stunting it too much anyway...

Pretty big difference, as every tooth counts...-1 alone will make a noticable difference, but -1/+2 will be even more...Its a very common gearing choice for 600 sport bikes, both for track or street....

Personally just -1 wouldnt be enough for me, Id want a little more on a 600...

There are some gearing calculators online that you can use to get a better idea of how it will change the bike...

And it also depends on how much your willing to spend, with just a -1 there is a very good chance you can use your current chain. And your only looking at $30-40 for a front sprocket, compared to around $100 for a rear. Although I recommend changing all at once, to get the most life out of all the parts together...Never like using a new chain on old sprokets or vise versa

Last edited:
Wow.. Super good information... I think the gearing changes must make a pretty big difference.. I have been playing around a little bit with the stock configuration to see how prone to lifting the front wheel it is.. I'm finding that it takes significant work to lift with the stock config. With the way I've seen some people lift the front wheel seems significantly easier.. A little increased launch speed would be an added bonus. Does your speedo stay accurate with the gearing changes???

i just got my sprockets changed on saturday!
-1/+2 on my 636.
i have yet to give it a decent go though

U don't need to change the sprocket

But having your head examined might be worth a looksee....

Stunting side fo the industry.....lol. How many payments left on the bike ?

But having your head examined might be worth a looksee....

Stunting side fo the industry.....lol. How many payments left on the bike ?

Thought I was asking a couple reasonable questions.. Guess I'm not cool enough for this forum....

Thought I was asking a couple reasonable questions.. Guess I'm not cool enough for this forum....

youre good, that dankys dude is just a poser, i dont even think he stunts he just hates in this section.

Not everyone one rides an sv650 with a front wheel speedo sensor...

OH! Honestly didnt know that other bikes read speed from...? Engine?

And no. I dont stunt. I also dont hate..but find the idea of Stunting being "an industry" kinda comical.

Johnny is going to ream me out now....bending over....

BUT...those GSXR forks would look awefully nice on my SV...so when you wreck your new bike so you can play with the cool kids, just remember to contact me if they are not tweaked...which the probably will be sadly. No one lowsides their GSXR's anymore....cause they are stuntin....

Your new here so let me fill you in on how it works around here, half the people on here are cool with a little wheelie here and there and the other half are haters. No matter what style or riding you choose to do, or what kind of bikes you choose to ride, someone on here will think its stupid and what they do is better. Even when they give us our own section, as you can see they will still post BS. So just filter through the stupid comments posted by haters reading a section they apparently have no intrest in, and take in the good info that is mixed in with the BS...

For the record gearing my first bike 01 R6 was the 2nd mod I did after getting an exhaust, then the 3rd was braided brake lines. This was all done in my first year of riding, so don't let haters tell you don't need this or that just because your new..If you want to mod your bike a little there is nothing wrong with that. Am always gearing bikes for people, and Ive never had someone come back and say they didnt like it. It makes them more fun to ride IMO, and the front will lift easier...

So back to actually answering your legit questions...

Yes your speedo will be affected, again how much will depend on exaclty what gearing ratio you choose to go with. It will say you are going faster then you really are if you dont recalibrate it. However there are a bunch of recalibration products on the market now, for around $100. That you can install to retune your speedo to read the correct speed. I used to have a "Yelllow Box" recalibrator, but I have also installed a few of the new brands and they all pretty much give you the same result for around $100..

So yeah thats my 2 cents, I think you would like a little gearing...Dont listen to the peanut gallery, it doesnt mean your going to write off your bike if you do.

Last edited:
i just got my sprockets changed on saturday!
-1/+2 on my 636.
i have yet to give it a decent go though

Do him a favor and post up your thoughts when you give it a try.....Just so happens you did the -1/+2.....Hummmm maybe Im not full of **** and it is actually a popular choice for gearing.....Your not a new rider are you! If so can I give you my number so I can have your forks when you crash...

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom