What's the used market like right now? | GTAMotorcycle.com

What's the used market like right now?

KLR Junkie

I'm considering selling my Goldwing and getting something more my speed, like a Vstrom. I've noticed that prices on Kijiji seem to be fairly strong but also that ads are staying up for a longer time than I'm used to seeing. With the economic uncertainty right now I'd really like to avoid taking a loss on the Goldwing.

Anyone have any thoughts on the state of the used bike market under the current circumstances?

I've been looking at Aprilia Tuonos and Ducati Panigale 1299's..
The prices are still awful silly.
Wait till the covid stuff causes more forced sales or the end of the season.

My only comment would be that with touring restricted a long distance tourer might be a tricky sell just now.
No harm in listing it tho. You generally will lose money on bikes tho I've done okay and made money on some.

I'm considering selling my Goldwing and getting something more my speed, like a Vstrom. I've noticed that prices on Kijiji seem to be fairly strong but also that ads are staying up for a longer time than I'm used to seeing. With the economic uncertainty right now I'd really like to avoid taking a loss on the Goldwing.

Anyone have any thoughts on the state of the used bike market under the current circumstances?

Just clarifying, prices on Kijiji aren't selling prices and since the province doesn't have any accurate numbers related to transfer prices it's all over the place because everyone's bike is special.

Unless you got a super deal when you bought it is rare to make money on any vehicle. However no one wants to pay top dollar for something and have an unusually high depreciation because of something like Covid. Keep in mind that if the entire motorcycle market is down the price of the bike you want should be down as well.

Well priced bikes sell quick from what I've seen. I'd recommend to decide on the price you want, price it accordingly (leave a tad for negotiation) and then list it. If you're not happy with the price you get, just don't accept the offer.

Weather got nice and warm quick so you're still in a good place for listing. As the season continues pricing will only come down. Your next top dollar opportunity will be Spring 2021.

My only comment would be that with touring restricted a long distance tourer might be a tricky sell just now.

This was my first thought as well.

Although I think things are recovering faster than many expected, I'm not sure that discretionary purchases like motorcycles are going to recover at the same pace.

No harm in listing it tho. You generally will lose money on bikes tho I've done okay and made money on some.
That's a good point. The wing can also be a good local ride for wives or kids who want to feel secure. You can sleep on the back of a wing, doing that on a vstrom would probably not work so well.

No idea how your GL1500 would fair on the used market. From what I have seen, it's mostly the newbish bikes that have a higher variance in pricing depending on season. Bikes that a more experienced buyer would buy are pretty consistent.

If you want an ADV, here are a few options that seem decently priced to me.

'13 Super Tenere, 50k km, for $8200 - The luggage alone costs $2k 2013 Yamaha super tenere | Sport Touring | London | Kijiji

'15 Strom 650, 19k km, for $6200 - 2015 Suzuki VStrom DL650 ABS | Sport Touring | Oakville / Halton Region | Kijiji

Price it right and it should sell. I just sold a bike last month, and got a few offers as the weather started getting better. Alot of the ad's staying up for longer are because some expect more money for their bikes than they are worth, esp in these times. Some sellers need money, and every dollar matters so will hold on dearly. Buyers, depending on the age group, are looking to spend the next few months riding locally rather than travelling abroad.

I had a chat with a sales rep at a dealer here asking how things were in these times, he said the only problem is they don't have enough bikes, they are selling more than usual and not much inventory coming in.

On that note, didn't you buy the wing for a cross Canada trip?

Been out shopping for a new bike. All the models I want are sold out at the dealerships. Every shop I went into had three or four people busy buying new bikes. I'm hearing that HD sales are up too. Very strange. I say put it up for sale, see what happens. The trend right now is toward smaller bikes though.

My son who normally spends money traveling, going to venues such as 3 day concerts, playing sports, going to hockey and baseball games had little time for motorcycles. Now that most of that is gone for now, him and his friends are all riding instead of the above, way more then they did before. I wonder how many people are looking to buy bikes with the trip money they have saved for etc. Motorcycles can be a pretty safe way to enjoy the outdoors, travel, get out of the house.

I can only speak for the tuonos but I agree with the used market being irrational on the factory spec. The non-factory RR version market has been depressed due to VOS motors having too much inventory of 2018 Tuonos theyve been sitting on for what will be 3 years. I have to believe they are willing to sell them for below listed price. It's all relative of course.

My son who normally spends money traveling, going to venues such as 3 day concerts, playing sports, going to hockey and baseball games had little time for motorcycles. Now that most of that is gone for now, him and his friends are all riding instead of the above, way more then they did before. I wonder how many people are looking to buy bikes with the trip money they have saved for etc. Motorcycles can be a pretty safe way to enjoy the outdoors, travel, get out of the house.

Interesting point. Outside of tennis and golf what sports allow you to distance? Therefore riding in a small group works. There aren't a lot of tennis courts and golf isn't cheap.

What do you think a Tuono is worth? I've got them on my radar but didn't look last year to see what they were going for.

R1s are listed for a big premium, though stock is super low. Lame.

Back
Top Bottom