Whats the "sweet spot" for you | Page 5 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Whats the "sweet spot" for you

I used to have an FJR1300 that had a power commander and pipe. My best was an 11.99 1/4 mile. My ‘16 Tuono had a race tune, Arrow pipe and lightweight forged wheels the best I ever did at the strip was an 11.00 flat. I had my current ‘17 Tuono at the strip when it only had a race tune done - nothing else, and the best I managed was 11.50.
My point is, FJR’s might be big, heavy touring machines, but man can they rip your arms off!
I'm curious if that's with launch control.

You're also running bar risers (less weight on the front).
The Tuonos are pretty wheelie happy. Perhaps the weight on the front of the FJR and the longer wheelbase helped out.

Sent from my SM-G903W using Tapatalk

The Tuonos are pretty wheelie happy. Perhaps the weight on the front of the FJR and the longer wheelbase helped out.

^this
Pretty sure a busa would be great at the drag strip

I used to have an FJR1300 that had a power commander and pipe. My best was an 11.99 1/4 mile. My ‘16 Tuono had a race tune, Arrow pipe and lightweight forged wheels the best I ever did at the strip was an 11.00 flat. I had my current ‘17 Tuono at the strip when it only had a race tune done - nothing else, and the best I managed was 11.50.
My point is, FJR’s might be big, heavy touring machines, but man can they rip your arms off!
I hope I'm not giving the impression I think the FJR is slow! Far from it, and I think it's a really cool bike that would absolutely be on my shopping list if I wanted something to do big miles on. I just had a different experience on an FZ-1, that's all.

I've never been to the strip, and I absolutely suck at hard launches from 0, but I bet the FJR would go pretty good there. It's got lots of balls down low, a longish wheelbase, and probably a nicely spaced gearbox.

Excellent taste in bikes, by the way. Complimenti!

...I gave up my 14 partly because I simply couldn't keep up on a twisty road (though if I'd done up the suspension, I might have had a better shot) and would end up cheating by blasting the straights, which is the opposite of why I ride. Maybe that says more about my riding skill, I don't know...
The FJR is big and pulls like a fighter jet. It's pretty good in the twisties, but heavy -- carving hard is exhausting on any huge bike - that itself can take away a lot from the rider/bike combo.

^this
Pretty sure a busa would be great at the drag strip
I kept an FJR and Hayabusa in the stable for years, not a whole lot of difference in first 12 seconds on stock machines.

The FJR would be a ride of choice if this not-a-race is across the entire north american continent and speed limits are being observed,
otherwise :/ not so much. But you guys already know that, you're just flexing your butt muscles ?

Hey, what can I say? Gotta keep them busy over the winter so I'm ready for obstacles higher than my front axle in the spring...?
Why wait for spring do it now :cool:

I did multiple runs with each Tuono and played with the launch control and also tried a few passes with it turned off. If I remember correctly, my best times were with launch control at the lowest setting. It was still a bit of a struggle to keep the front end down.
And you’re right, launching the FJR was very easy in comparison. I could use 90-95% throttle in first and 100% throttle as soon as I shifted to 2nd with no fear of having the front end come up.
On a side note, did you end up selling your bike?

On a side note, did you end up selling your bike?

I still have it.

Honestly, I still love it. Amazing machine... but with covid, no long trips. Only did under 3,000k on the Tuono this year.

Rode my wr250r/x nearly 7,000k this season. Much of that offroad. It even does fine on group rides with the sm rims (just no high speeds.) I really have to carry my entry speed with the little bike, but that just makes it fun.

I'll see how it goes next season. I'd like to go down to one bike for a while, and the wr has been my primary this summer.

I still have it.

Honestly, I still love it. Amazing machine... but with covid, no long trips. Only did under 3,000k on the Tuono this year.

Rode my wr250r/x nearly 7,000k this season. Much of that offroad. It even does fine on group rides with the sm rims (just no high speeds.) I really have to carry my entry speed with the little bike, but that just makes it fun.

I'll see how it goes next season. I'd like to go down to one bike for a while, and the wr has been my primary this summer.

I bought a Yamaha Venture this year to do the long boring rides on but it’s a little too boring so it’s up for sale right now. The plan for next summer is to have the Venture sold and replaced with something like an FZ09 or Ninja 1000 and use the Tuono as a track bike.

The FJR would be a ride of choice if this not-a-race is across the entire north american continent and speed limits are being observed,
otherwise :/ not so much. But you guys already know that, you're just flexing your butt muscles ?

Don't sell the ol' fjr short... I'm an old(er) guy and have made it from home to Vancouver in under 5 days on an FJR... Twice.
'Could have probably done it quicker, but... In some parts of the land riding during/after dusk is far too risky.
'Longest leg was during my first ride out west, on the way home. Thunder Bay to Hamilton in one go stopping only to eat/pee/gas up.

Speed limit on #1 through the prairies is 110 kmh... So really, using discretion you can pretty much make it from Winnipeg to Calargy in a day easily.

JM4ZNCy.jpg

Last edited:
I bought a Yamaha Venture this year to do the long boring rides on but it’s a little too boring so it’s up for sale right now. The plan for next summer is to have the Venture sold and replaced with something like an FZ09 or Ninja 1000 and use the Tuono as a track bike.
look at the tracer 900 or 900GT better wind protection, quick shifter and cruise control as standard I believe

Not many races across North America where speed limits are not observed.

If there was one, I'm pretty sure a flotilla of FJRs would be at the front of the pack.

Not many races across North America where speed limits are not observed.

If there was one, I'm pretty sure a flotilla of FJRs would be at the front of the pack.
My money is on this guy, he could make sure nobody passed him.

SO2F.JPG

I really don’t look for HP. It’s more what bike is it and the kind of ride you’re doing.

I’ve had a riot on pit bikes and little KX80 dirt bikes and laughed my butt Off!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Are KX80 and the like suitable for adults? Excuse my ignorance but I don’t think I’ve actually seen one in real life

My money is on this guy, he could make sure nobody passed him.

SO2F.JPG
he’s probably on the side of the road waiting for parts to arrive from Deutschland. Not a good situation in races.

Back
Top Bottom