What's for dinner? | Page 72 | GTAMotorcycle.com

What's for dinner?

Here's a recent meal; fresh thick cut grocer lamb shoulder chops with light rosemary marinade. I picked this up on sale and ended up super happy. Grilled on the Weber Summit to a medium-rare to medium finish. This was one of the best meals I've had in a long time. Very very tender, and just a nice light lamb flavor (and light marinade flavors)... oily good as well. Highly recommended (especially when you can find a good lamb source)
lick.gif

c5d54083756827a693445101d37bc44b6f54b6cd4a1e203cd4d2159c05fca1ae.jpg

63aea959068cc35b60002b4527bf74d109d9e1e4e83f42527a15833098b12cd0.jpg

Cheers
this looks really good! its inspiring me to go buy some lamb

up7flNM.jpg

some smoked salmon marinated in mayo, lemon juice and parsley (home grown)

went great with a bottle of Pinot Noir

@JoeBass you had asked about cauliflower rice in an earlier post. Ate it quite often when we did Whole30. I was quite skeptical but pleasantly surprised.
It can get expensive buying the packaged stuff but you can prepare your own with a fresh cauliflower and a grater. Easy to portion it and can be frozen until needed.
My wife would just fry it up and season to taste.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
My wife has done the Keto thing for a while, I joined her a month ago. The quantities are fine (eat as much as you like), but I do miss 3 essential food groups:
1) Beer. I think beer is my favorite thing.
2) Bread. Can't get used to naked hotdogs, hamburgers, and pizza made with cauliflower crust.
3) Potatoes, pasta or rice. There are no real substitutes for these.

I don't miss snack food, baked goods and sweets, was never a big thing in our house.

It trims you down quickly
You can eat lots as long as you stay in bounds
There is plenty of variety, particularly if you are primarily a carnivore.

Dislikes
Losing my 3 favorite food groups (noted above)
Enthusiasts constantly try to convert 1 food to another and that never works. Cauliflower to rice, almond dust to flour? Like saying... hmmm I want a hotdog but all I have is Filet... lets convert! The only substitute I have found satisfactory is Rye for Beer.

My wife has done the Keto thing for a while, I joined her a month ago. The quantities are fine (eat as much as you like), but I do miss 3 essential food groups:
1) Beer. I think beer is my favorite thing.
2) Bread. Can't get used to naked hotdogs, hamburgers, and pizza made with cauliflower crust.
3) Potatoes, pasta or rice. There are no real substitutes for these.

I don't miss snack food, baked goods and sweets, was never a big thing in our house.

It trims you down quickly
You can eat lots as long as you stay in bounds
There is plenty of variety, particularly if you are primarily a carnivore.

Dislikes
Losing my 3 favorite food groups (noted above)
Enthusiasts constantly try to convert 1 food to another and that never works. Cauliflower to rice, almond dust to flour? Like saying... hmmm I want a hotdog but all I have is Filet... lets convert! The only substitute I have found satisfactory is Rye for Beer.

You managed to stick to it? I don’t know what I’d do without bread. Tried going without beer once and stuck to wine actually (don’t laugh) but a good beer is just so pleasant. Potatoes/pasta/rice wouldn’t be so bad but I do love a good potato dish.

During the week I’m mostly vegan as it’s easier to cook meals that way for the wife so it’s not too bad.

There is a real diet where you can eat as much as you like of more or less whatever you want...but you also have to expend as many calories as you eat and I don’t run unless a lunatic with a hatchet is chasing me.

You managed to stick to it? I don’t know what I’d do without bread. Tried going without beer once and stuck to wine actually (don’t laugh) but a good beer is just so pleasant. Potatoes/pasta/rice wouldn’t be so bad but I do love a good potato dish.

During the week I’m mostly vegan as it’s easier to cook meals that way for the wife so it’s not too bad.

There is a real diet where you can eat as much as you like of more or less whatever you want...but you also have to expend as many calories as you eat and I don’t run unless a lunatic with a hatchet is chasing me.
Stick to it? Unless I want to start grocery shopping I don't have much choice. I have found ways to make Vodka, Rum and Whiskey effective beer replacements.

I do leave the reservation one day a week, normally when I'm socializing or on a ride. I don't have a carb and beer food orgy, but I'll have a couple of beers and a real breakfast with toast and homefries or maybe a BBQ with a hamburger or sausage with a bun . I fine that to be a happy balance and I don't feel like a Keto militant.

My first ever attempt at making wings. Did them on the BBQ.
I think they turned out great.
So did my kid.
3c3ce500cc0c4adf2fbbe3acf0b2bd5d.jpg
5995bf13aa0462ca582c5805bf92cfc4.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

since I started to do wings on the BBQ
there is no turning back, Joe

low heat, top rack, dry spices,
patience.......awesomenessness :)

but hi-heat is needed, next time time you turn on the Q

My coworker told me about the top rack tip.
She said to spice it too, but worked late and was hungry.
Went naked for 15 mins flipped for another 15.
Then tossed them in BBQ sauce and put them back in for 10ish mins with heat on minimum.
Nice crisp skin.
I think next time I will separate the flats and drums & discard the tips.
I also for the first time ever broke my one-hand-wing-eating rule.
My beer can was covered in BBQ sauce.

Reactions: J_F
Looks super awesome @mbroyda!

Very nice @Joe Bass! It's taken me years to refine my wing grilling. I like sugar sauces and the caramelization that a good cook can bring to them.

The first good garden harvest this year has come and much of my food eating habits and posts will be changing again.
thumbup2.gif
; two types of cucumber (including the new white Martini variety again, highly recommended), cherry tomatoes and Chinese greens.
f5df8870e454b9524af63f236a91832851dec8b2bab3ac9a7ed9e9c1bed9db96.jpg

Here's a garden onion and cherry tomatoes, plus some fresh grilled asparagus I picked up on sale from the grocer.
11f90422acd265249ee803fa3276c9ac9c9f8525005e0f7a641c3b27dd593f1f.jpg

I often serve fresh garden cucumber simply sliced with fresh ground pepper, a pinch of salt and a bit of vinegar.
e30ad430b9d9f3031502a3888ad658f6cc0c69c9ff9ef9c99314f47aadffe5d6.jpg

I'm still enjoying some great fresh corn with butter, salt and sugar.
attachment.php

Here's a fresh Caesar salad; I made this one light on the dressing (for a change). It has a premium refrigerated store-bought strong Caesar dressing (Renee's Mighty Caesar), plus garden onion, fresh ground pepper, pinch of salt, fresh squeezed lemon juice, buttered croutons and fresh hand grated grana padano cheese. A few fresh radishes on the side as well.
c33a67cf88dbe2789fcb74b3e13bf255d54d922b1a11e5fd8ee93b19c3d738a7.jpg

Cheers and have a great Saturday.

I don't think I have any cucumbers yet. My wife is gonna fry up some zucchini flowers tonight.
Lettuce has been tasty.
Switched to red leaf lettuce this year and it has been growing better than the romaine did.

As I may have mentioned, my son is vegetarian. Got him a store made salad a week ago. Had a pomegranate dressing iirc. He didn't like all the flavours, but like the feta and dressing. Wants to make his own but I haven't been able to find a premade dressing of that type anywhere. Any suggestions?

I don't think I have any cucumbers yet. My wife is gonna fry up some zucchini flowers tonight.
Lettuce has been tasty.
Switched to red leaf lettuce this year and it has been growing better than the romaine did.

As I may have mentioned, my son is vegetarian. Got him a store made salad a week ago. Had a pomegranate dressing iirc. He didn't like all the flavours, but like the feta and dressing. Wants to make his own but I haven't been able to find a premade dressing of that type anywhere. Any suggestions?

Haven’t found a store bought dressing that can match a scratch made one yet and they are pretty straight forward as long as you get the oil and vinegar/sweet and sour or savoury ratios right. Blenders are great for this. You can get pomegranate seeds already separated from some stores so add some of those.

the irony of a Brit
giving culinary advice to an Italian

I love this forum!

Gordon Ramsey? Fortunately the swear filter works here so I can’t do impressions. Also, aren’t you a Scot? Anything that isn’t fried isn’t food?

Reactions: J_F

To be safe I keep several ice cold beers in a bucket beside the BBQ. A lot of fat drips out of wings, if you end up with a BBQ inferno just grab a can, shake aim, discharge.

Haven’t found a store bought dressing that can match a scratch made one yet and they are pretty straight forward as long as you get the oil and vinegar/sweet and sour or savoury ratios right. Blenders are great for this. You can get pomegranate seeds already separated from some stores so add some of those.
Thanks
I guess I'll try the Google route...unless someone has a tried and true recipe?

Thanks
I guess I'll try the Google route...unless someone has a tried and true recipe?

One of the places I worked at in France had its own works cantine and every lunchtime they had a massive 5 gallon container of salad dressing that was delicious. I think it was just oil, vinegar, mustard and maybe honey. You can jazz it up with tarragon or some other herbs / garlic. Most important thing was to balance everything and make sure it was mixed into a thick emulsion. I don’t really have a recipe because I adjust it after tasting. Sometimes I use lemon juice with the vinegar, sometimes orange juice (and no honey as the juice makes it sweet), sometimes red wine vinegar, sometimes apple cider etc. Seems 1 part vinegar to 3 parts oil is common. One recipe I just saw was just olive oil, wine vinegar and salt and pepper to season.

Had a pomegranate dressing iirc. He didn't like all the flavours, but like the feta and dressing. Wants to make his own but I haven't been able to find a premade dressing of that type anywhere. Any suggestions?

Any foodie would recommend googling pomegranate salad dressing recipe and see all the options out there and try to find something that works for you, many of the recipes are often rated too
smile.gif

If you don't mind the premium price check out Amazon.ca for pomegranate dressings; there are a number of options. Renee's dressings should be in one of your quality local grocers as well... usually in the cooler section by the salads and lettuce; they have a pomegranate blend, Brands - Generic Page. Check out local foodie stores as well. I've been able to find boutique stores for rare products on-line (at times less than five stores in Canada reporting current stock in Google search results). Hope that helps. Good luck!

Last edited:
Thanks @kwtoxman, I checked 4 grocers that carry Renee's with no luck. That was my first thought...that they would make one.
I think I will go the diy route first for two reasons: cheaper and more importantly, I need my son to invest in his choice of living a vegetarian lifestyle. So he will be mixing the dressing with my guidance. I wouldn't say that it has been difficult to accommodate him, more of an added element. So any help I can get from him is a bonus.

Back
Top Bottom