What's for dinner? | Page 70 | GTAMotorcycle.com

What's for dinner?

How can I say no to this at my local grocer?
MexWave.gif
. Fresh dragon fruit.
lick.gif

688b40154b4ae990083029f65622a92c57566e35358aaf02be3ea2633a1403db.jpg

7b101d58897b79b21257968ef74a4921660bbff38bf0cc595ca1baf093b62552.jpg

I've started to foray into very large shrimp cooks and I look forward to sharing some meals
thumbup2.gif
. This is extra large grilled shrimp (8-12 per pound) cooled naturally (don't rinse, you'll lose oils and flavours) and served with cocktail sauce, a'la shrimp cocktail. Three of these are over a 1/4 pound
lick.gif
heart_eyes.gif
attachment.php

The shrimp was perfectly cooked, tender, flavorful, excellent. It took me years to nail this cook properly. I need to find my old shrimp guide post here.

More fresh corn microwaved then added butter and pinches of salt and sugar. It was beatifully fresh and sweet
lick.gif

attachment.php

Fresh strawberries and dark chocolate.
lick.gif

attachment.php

Have a great weekend.

Last edited:
I'm gonna need to try that microwave corn.
I tried bbq'g some corn last week for the first time. It wasn't good.

Made stuffed peppers the other day. Finished them on the grill. They were ok.
Also made chicken breasts -- half with Grace jerk marinade the other half with lemon pepper.
Delish. (the thinner ones were a little dry though)
f978677dde48a58bebb25f1bfbecc595.jpg
998abc3f37f8ea172f954efa67e7e207.jpg

Sent from my Purple LGG4 using Tapatalk

Niiice pics and meals @Joe Bass
thumbs.gif

Cedar planked salmon from the grill. This one seasoned with applewood, orange and ginger. Nice, detailed and large pictures. It's a large fillet, the plate is 12" in diameter :).
d171e845f75f5c1800742643f1c323b935dbcb5b5012b7cab478454821f4dd6f.jpg

Here the sandwiches include a fresh toasted kaiser bun, cream cheese (an excellent match to salmon), fresh cilantro and romaine lettuce (on one).

4355963524c1b077d7de0b51229bed97294f18276a1c8ee27d4ae87c3d3794e3.jpg

764eeb0f52462c0c7bc06b605bcc52b8dbecf4d5fc3d577969ed3e360d0965f0.jpg

For the spicy food lovers out there
thumbup2.gif
. I go find boutique foods online and there's a lot of great rare spicy foodstuff options. I picked up 9 lbs of those peanuts (they proved popular among my friends and family
hobby_horse.gif
). Hard to find here, my searches find ~ 5 places currently selling them in Canada.
7c25967ae05e7635fe0d7dd07b9e96f1724d1e8b80d68a0f97c772e4b702904b.jpg

I expect the ketchup and hot sauces to be top notch too
tumbleweed2.gif

Caprese-style salad from the local grocer. I get this on sale, and these portions cost about 75 cents each
smile2.gif
. Love the field greens style.
attachment.php

Fresh cherries (on sale). These are a sweet and tart variety. Excellent
lick.gif

attachment.php

Fresh strawberries (on sale) and (Instant pot homemade) chocolate cheesecake
lick.gif
attachment.php

Have a great weekend.

Last edited:
umami?

Umami - Wikipedia

I'm a big appreciator of umami
probably as I love Asian food

lately I've found it almost impossible to find MSG in grocery stores
had to order a giant frigging bag of it from amazon

I guess allergies are common
but other than that I have read the health concerns are completely overblown
sure it's a sodium source, but with some care is completely safe, same as salt

I love savoury food and flavours too @JavaFan! I have MSG and use it in the odd meal. It's been great in scratch premium burgers and in some Instant pot soup recipes. I picked my MSG up at a South Asian grocer. It's typically more easily found there in my experience.

Here's another meal! Two racks of pork back ribs done perfectly on the Weber summit grill, a BBQ style rack as well as Lemon Pepper and Herb rack. This is one of my best rib cooks and it has big eye appeal; I paid attention to all the little details
smile.gif
. Super juicy, tender, savory
wink.gif
and very meaty pork back ribs. Check it out. Big pictures (click on them) with lots of detail.
lick.gif

a81506393c984e84f072e0daf5bf7a0fbabdc8184d508d27a847899d148bcd2b.jpg

2e0034ed9018bef0d3c676a03174eda0ba086797c52525c26b7719334c798822.jpg

880b944d379bf8eb2d5dfa72d78b80afa180950a0a8e8893b72e2cca231598a8.jpg

46b4693327c2febe94abf1ce4af0fee0e680d6007fe51307fbcb363f084b83eb.jpg

I used a scratch dry rub plus a national BBQ competition award winning sauce. The other rack is Lemon Pepper and Herb with lots of fresh squeezed lemon juice
smile.gif
. After putting the ribs on the grill and spending 15 min to stabilize the temp, I'm comfortable enough doing this meal and the Weber Summit grill that I then left for a three hour 35 km mountain bike trail ride that included meeting up with a friend
smile.gif
?.

Here's the Lemon Herb seasoning I used. To that I added a lot of pepper freshly ground.
https://d1doqjmisr497k.cloudfront.n...hash=DB230523D37EDF1C3FD2CC57F272CE19E5F96507

Last edited:
I have a tube of umami paste in my fridge. Weird stuff. Can’t remember where I got it from but it was probably Loblaws.

Found a huge flank steak for sale on my corner store so here's was this weekends cooks to finish it off.

Surf 'n turf (Montreal steak spiced steak and chilli grilled shrimp and a bunch of veggies)

IMG_1431.jpg

Saturday night tacos
Muffin trays make the best condiment holders.
Also presenting the Ron Swanson taco(Taco and meat)

IMG_1492.JPG

Last edited:
Where did you get those ketchups?
I love a few of Melinda's hot sauces and I didn't know they did ketchups.

7c25967ae05e7635fe0d7dd07b9e96f1724d1e8b80d68a0f97c772e4b702904b.jpg

I expect the ketchup and hot sauces to be top notch too
tumbleweed2.gif

Thx for all the pork back ribs love
thumb_up.gif
. Nice to see it's such a popular meal.

Very nice food and pictures @mbroyda (love the beef ribs) and @bishop (great as always). Love the details @bishop and I concur that taco meals are amazing and have done it again recently myself (great minds think alike, lol). I pm'd the ketchup info
thumb_up.gif

I feel like I've been eating as good as ever. Hope y'all are too. The grill is in higher summer use now and it's what I'm best at. Love grilled/BBQ food
smileheart.gif

Leftover ribs are a fave, here with with toasted garlic bread and fresh cilantro
lick.gif
attachment.php

I picked up more good fresh corn, this one again finished with butter, and pinches of sugar and salt
lick.gif
attachment.php

I rarely get bagels, like once a year or less, but when I get quality bagels they are great. I need to get a better toaster if I want to do it more. Toasted sourdough bagel with garlic herb cream cheese and prosciutto. Very enjoyable.
attachment.php

Toasted everything bagel with cream cheese.
attachment.php

I've been having a lot of kabobs this summer already, so easy, tasty, inexpensive (I get them on sale 30% off) and fast, with lots of variety. I can do these cooks with my eyes closed now... and no prep. On Thursday I picked up a pack of beef kabobs, a pack of chicken kabobs, a pack of pork kabobs and a pack of fish kabobs. Plus that fresh corn and a fresh pineapple
smile.gif

Here's spicy Buffalo style marinated chicken kabobs grilled on the Weber Summit
lick.gif
38bbacae4519064e29c2fbfd27e0f2b8f12915a8f736dca24c4f8429acbc5759.jpg

Coffee and black pepper marinated chicken kabobs
lick.gif
43feffd9054f2937673565a5f89d23a727f0bab2c20f1a763836a50dafda4557.jpg

Enjoy Sunday.

Last edited:
I need some help GTAM foodies.....my 15 year old has decided that he is now a vegetarian.
I want to make sure that he is getting all his nutrients.
I'm lost here. All I'm thinking is eggs and avocado for brekkie, salads for lunch and grilled veggies for dinner.
Keeping in mind my limited kitchen skills, what are some vegetarian options you all enjoy?

I need some help GTAM foodies.....my 15 year old has decided that he is now a vegetarian.
I'm lost here. All I'm thinking is eggs and avocado for brekkie, salads for lunch and grilled veggies for dinner.
Keeping in mind my limited kitchen skills, what are some vegetarian options you all enjoy?

Joe, I kinda lost my **** too when my daughter went the same route, at ~13yrs old.
Not a whole lot changes, really. The plate at dinner is the same as everyone else's, except the meat.
She fills up on pastas, soups (she loves soups) potatoes, cheese.......you'll see.... it'll work out.
She's almost 30 now, and hasn't eaten any meat since.

Nuts. I made a vegan “seafood” fettuccine the other day. The creamy sauce came from raw unsalted cashew nuts soaked in warm water for 30mins then blended at high speed with lemon juice and water. That’s the basic sauce, it’s actually vegan but there’s plenty of protein in cashews. I sautéed some onions and tomato and shredded dried seaweed (this is the “seafood” flavour) together and added it to the cashews and blended it on high speed again, put that sauce into a pan and heated it slowly until hot. Adjusted consistency with more water. Tossed some freshly boiled al dente fettuccine in that sauce and topped with fresh basil and it was very good. Got the recipe from a gourmet vegan place in Quebec. To get it nice and “fishy” you’ll need a couple of packets of the dried seaweed.

Aside from this there’s nut roasts too. Saitan is quite tasty with a nice texture, Tofu of course but that’s not my favourite, tempeh has an interesting texture that’s pretty good too.

Also, if the kid is veggie and not vegan there’s good protein in dairy. I make a mean veggie curry with some heavy cream to make the sauce.

I just picked up this book - Madhur Jaffrey's Instantly Indian Cookbook: Modern and Classic Recipes for the Instant Pot

I highly recommend it ... more than half the recipes are vegetarian. As for skill, the instant pot does most of the hard work, the rest is just finishing and plating.

Wow!
Thanks for all the quick replies!
Much appreciated!
@Gary, that's where my mindset is at. But I'm also thinking that I want to avoid going simple starch carb heavy. He's got my genes and I don't want him to follow with my carb addiction and weight issues.
He never liked sweet potatoes, but I'm explaining that I think he will have to expand his palate for this.
@bishop luckily he loves spice, so that may work. The downside is my wife is particular about smells.....so hopefully we can add some curry to some meals...I would love that!
@jc100 that sounds good. I look forward to trying and tasting that.
I recall a raw vegan lasagna recipe that had zucchini noodles and cashews were the base for a "cheese sauce".
Looks like I'll be making a pit stop to Bulk Barn.

Wow!
Thanks for all the quick replies!
Much appreciated!
@Gary, that's where my mindset is at. But I'm also thinking that I want to avoid going simple starch carb heavy. He's got my genes and I don't want him to follow with my carb addiction and weight issues.
He never liked sweet potatoes, but I'm explaining that I think he will have to expand his palate for this.
@bishop luckily he loves spice, so that may work. The downside is my wife is particular about smells.....so hopefully we can add some curry to some meals...I would love that!
@jc100 that sounds good. I look forward to trying and tasting that.
I recall a raw vegan lasagna recipe that had zucchini noodles and cashews were the base for a "cheese sauce".
Looks like I'll be making a pit stop to Bulk Barn.

Costco had the best value for big, fresh cashews. About $20 for a massive tub.

I'd consider adoption at this point

jokes aside, vegetarian or vegan? are eggs an option? fish / seafood?

For breakfast there’s a great vegetarian Mexican dish that’s a hash of chopped fried tortillas, scrambled eggs, fried tomatoes, onions and chillies. Topped with cheese sliced jalapeños and cilantro. It’s a workers breakfast, it’ll keep you going for a while. Up the protein with some refried beans..

Back
Top Bottom