What's for dinner? | Page 92 | GTAMotorcycle.com

What's for dinner?

Beyond Meat ground with noodles covered in a white mushroom sauce.
The sauce was from scratch, first attempt.
The flour clumped with the butter.
Suggestions?
6adafba2d89164e9cb300631989c01a2.jpg
75426c747758a034359b0734e25f2eea.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk
Less heat,more elbow grease.When it looks like it's going to start bubbling,take it off the heat and whisk some more.Repeat,repeat repeat.

Less heat,more elbow grease.When it looks like it's going to start bubbling,take it off the heat and whisk some more.Repeat,repeat repeat.
Thanks. My mom also just messaged me, I added too much flour too soon as well. She said I need to do it more gradually.
She also said whisk.
I was using a spoon.

How was the beyond meat meat?
So I don't eat it.
It's pretty expensive and this way I have 2 or 3 meals for my kid.
I used half earlier in the week crumbled up with veggies in the oven.
The frying of it is different as it doesn't brown, it crisps.
He enjoys the taste of it.
And the Beyond Meat sausages.
He likes LightLife burgers better.

Nothing wrong with a spoon.I use rubber spatulas for almost everything.Heat control is everything.i miss my gas stove sometimes.But my induction stovetop is really good and my wife knows the house won't blow up now.

Beyond Meat ground with noodles covered in a white mushroom sauce.
The sauce was from scratch, first attempt.
The flour clumped with the butter.
Suggestions?
6adafba2d89164e9cb300631989c01a2.jpg
75426c747758a034359b0734e25f2eea.jpg

Hey Joe, were you adding flour to a liquid in the pan to thicken it? I find that making a roux from oil and flour and other dried ingredients first then gradually adding liquid while mixing gives a smooth sauce every time. I make a vegan gravy this way with fried onions, olive oil and flour (with some other flavourings) first then adding water to the roux while whisking. I used to make a lobster bisque the same way but that one you cook the roux a little to brown it first.

@jc100 not trying to thicken a sauce, this was the actual sauce.
Here is what I followed:

In a small saucepan over medium heat, melt butter. Add flour and stir until the butter and flour are well combined. Pour in milk, stirring constantly as it thickens. Add more milk depending on desired consistency.

Here is what I followed:

In a small saucepan over medium heat, melt butter. Add flour and stir until the butter and flour are well combined. Pour in milk, stirring constantly as it thickens. Add more milk depending on desired consistency.

ahh yes..that’s a roux. I usually have to cook it a bit before I add the milk/water. Also was there any dry flour visible? It should look like a thick paste, nearly solid but with no dry flour before you add the milk

Tonight was moose tenderloin roast with onions, mushrooms, and bernaise. A few roasted red potatoes and some steamed greens made up the sides.

Here is what I followed:

Make sure the flour is full combined with the butter take it off the heat whisk the milk in and then return to heat to thicken.

Sent from my moto g(8) plus using Tapatalk

You can just dump the flour into the butter, but then you have to really incorporate it into the butter, it takes a bit of time. I like to cook the butter / flour mix a while to take the 'flour' taste out, then add the milk slowly in thirds or quarters, really whisking the dickens out of it.
A really melty cheese makes the sauce awesome, @Joe if your son the vegetarian wants vegan cheese in there, that stuff melts awful so be prepared to stir a long time to keep the lumps out

I’ve been making vegan cheese for my wife. It’s pretty easy if you have a powerful blender. Cashews, nutritional yeast, lemon juice, salt, whatever herbs or spices you want....blend the lot until its totally smooth. Heat on the stovetop with stirring to thicken. It’s actually pretty tasty. I make it a bit thinner for a sauce and even blend up nori seaweed sheets and tomatoes with it (leave out the herbs etc) for a vegan seafood sauce.

Korean enoki mushroom pancakes. Takes 10 mins to prepare and is cheap as chips and taste amazing. Packet of enoki is $3. Sliced up some yellow onion and carrot and green onion. Mix with sesame oil, salt and pepper. Whisk up tapioca flour and white flour with some water and add to the mushrooms. Toss to coat. Form patties with hands and fry a few mins on each side until browned on each side. Serve with soy sauce, vinegar and chilli flake dipping sauce. Crispy outside and tender and chewy inside.

So I've been going along pretty good with the instant pot. Now I've some curiosity about air fryers.

Anyone have some experience to share?

So I've been going along pretty good with the instant pot. Now I've some curiosity about air fryers.

ya...I have one of the first ones, a Tefal one with a paddle that moves the food. I didn’t like it too much as the paddle would mangle anything delicate after a bit. Fries were good but something like a breadcrumb covered item would be shuffled around by the stupid paddles until it was naked and crying out for mom. I see the new ones don’t have that though and look like they might treat delicate food a bit better. I might get rid of the old one and try one of the newer ones if a good sale pops up. When they work the food tastes pretty good.

Recently bought one so not a lot of tips to share but... I find turning things more often than most recipes suggest provides more even cooking and takes slightly longer.

Overall have enjoyed the air fryer so far.

And the instant pot can do so much. Try a recipe and see how it comes out. Sometimes tweaking from your experience gets better results.

Sent from my iPhone using GTAMotorcycle.com mobile app

I got lazy last night.
Pan-fried some Italian sausage (not my dad's) and paired it with penne ziti lisce with a leftover tomato sauce.
916883be93f270e301ff19e6f2f41677.jpg

Nothing wrong with a spoon.I use rubber spatulas for almost everything.Heat control is everything.i miss my gas stove sometimes.But my induction stovetop is really good and my wife knows the house won't blow up now.
I miss my induction hotplate. The control went erratic, mostly shifting to high. Is a couple of years usage considered reasonable for $80?

I was wondering about using our camping single burner butane hotplate but I'm not sure about indoor use even though restaurants do it. There were some other safety issues with the things a few years back as well.

I miss my induction hotplate. The control went erratic, mostly shifting to high. Is a couple of years usage considered reasonable for $80?

I was wondering about using our camping single burner butane hotplate but I'm not sure about indoor use even though restaurants do it. There were some other safety issues with the things a few years back as well.
I wouldn't use it indoors.I doubt you would ever have a problem, but i guarantee it will NEVER be a problem if you NEVER use it inside.

Back
Top Bottom