What percentage of your riding is purely for leisure? | Page 3 | GTAMotorcycle.com

What percentage of your riding is purely for leisure?

What percentage of your riding is purely for leisure?

• Total voters
what if you would have made the trip to home depot in the car but on the bike you take a route that is 5 times as long?

I would consider that ride to be 80% pleasure, since 20% of the trip was one that you would have made anyway.

I asked how much it would affect my premium if i was to ride to work (not ride for work) and my broker informed me that it did not affect my premium at all, so i requested that it be put on there. oddly enough tripling the expected mileage also had no effect at all as well so i requested that that be done as well. Important to CYA as best you can.

Although the following rating variables are used extensively when determining auto premiums, they are rarely (if ever) used when determining motorcycle premiums due to a lack of data:

- USE (i.e. Pleasure, Commute 0-10kms, Commute 11-20kms, etc.)
- EXPOSURE (i.e. 0-15000 kms, 15001 - 20000kms, etc.)
- TERRITORY (i.e. The postal code where your vehicle is usually parked at night)

I don't like to ride in the rain really and my gf won't ride with me yet but she doesn't drive. On top of this I rarely spend the night at my own place. So this means that if I'm visiting the gf I usually don't ride (in case we need to drive somewhere) or, if it rains one day but not the next I can't bring the bike because the bike is at home and I am not. So I usually don't get to ride it to work and only get the chance to boot around in the afternoons after work when I do actually go home and the weather is nice.

If I had ABS I wouldn't care about the rain and I didn't used to but after a few little freaky moments I've decided I don't trust the traction for braking in the rain so I avoid it if I can. Maybe once I either add ABS, get a bike with ABS, or maybe just get some stickier tires (I have BT-21's right now which I believe are harder for lots of tread life... they have over 7k on them now and still look brand new) I might stop avoiding rain.

So far this week I've been riding to work all week except Monday (wasn't at home Sunday night and had the car). Sitting on the 401 into Mississauga sucks more on the bike though. I even left 30 minutes early today to try to avoid some traffic and instead my drive took 30 minutes longer than usual.

Although the following rating variables are used extensively when determining auto premiums, they are rarely (if ever) used when determining motorcycle premiums due to a lack of data:

- USE (i.e. Pleasure, Commute 0-10kms, Commute 11-20kms, etc.)
- EXPOSURE (i.e. 0-15000 kms, 15001 - 20000kms, etc.)
- TERRITORY (i.e. The postal code where your vehicle is usually parked at night)

My first year I estimated I would do 10,000km (figured I would probably do 300km a weekend during riding season). My broker considered this number high (seeing all the bikes out there with 4000 or less km a year I can see why). My first year I ended up doing over 20,000km and that was with a bike that went into winter storage before i was ready to give up riding for the year because of a foreign object in the transmission. Second year I did about the same, maybe a bit more, though i had a later start because I was still fixing my bike. third year I've got about 30,000 and that was with about a month down time during some prime riding time due to being hit by a car. I requested that my expected mileage be bumped up again because I expect to do 6000km in one week this summer + my regular riding... oddly enough this hasn't changed the quote from year to year.

Thanks I think I'm, going to call my ins. co and let them know I intend on riding to work a couple of times a month. When I first set up my policy they asked me if it was for pleasure use only. I said yes. Then they asked would if I would ride to work once and while. At that time I said no. So I can only assume that it would affect my rates if I did use the bike to commute the odd time. I also have a very low mileage allowance on my policy. I think I'm gouing to up date the info just to be safe. Even if my polcy does go up a few dollars.

I requested that my expected mileage be bumped up again because I expect to do 6000km in one week this summer + my regular riding... oddly enough this hasn't changed the quote from year to year.

As I mentioned in my previous post, your exposure (i.e. number of kms per year) rarely (if ever) is used for rating motorcycles.

Back
Top Bottom