What is the most reliable smartphone? | GTAMotorcycle.com

What is the most reliable smartphone?

black_CG2

My sony xperia z3 served me well for 4 years. I honestly wish it could serve me couple more but it keeps shutting down. Changed the battery and the problem is back. I do have the warranty on the battery but I would like to replace the phone eventually. I need an awesome, rugged smartphone. Camera is not my priority. My requirements are powerful processor, removable battery and strong product that does not mind accidental drops and water spills.

GO!

Believe it or not, iPhone 4. Got one in 2010, used it till 2015. After 5 years, still works great. Just got a little slow for my need. Battery still lasts a day, and 2 days with data switched off. Dropped it > 10 times too, negligible damage.

Only thing that died was the vibration motor. Ordered one off of AliExpress for $2 and replaced it myself. Easy

I tried an lg G3 that lasted me 2 years, after which it fell victim to the notorious boot loop issue. At that point I decided to ditch LG, and try my luck with Samsung galaxy S7. 2 years and still going strong. Very fast, awesome camera ... No complaints.

iPhone 5s with no updates applied (y)

I have a 6 yr old LG. Everything still works, but decided to upgrade to a Galaxy S10. S10 is an impressive phone but I can't vouch for its reliability. It's fast though, and the display and gizmo array is out of this world.

You have some conflicting requirements in your spec. Specifically, water resistant with a removal battery is probably almost impossible to find (the closest you can probably get is a removable battery phone in a water resistant case). Putting modern smart phones in a water resistant case will drive up the temperature and do nothing good for longevity.

Removable battery is starting to be hard to find at this point, if that is critical to you, you have probably limited your phone selection to only a few models. For phones with replaceable batteries, finding cost-effective high quality replacement batteries for a 5+ year old phone is not an easy task.

Honestly, they are still improving quite quickly. You won't want to be using a six year old phone as your primary even if it were to work as well as the day you bought it (which it won't by a mile). My experience is iphones last me ~4 years before I get annoyed by their slowness/short battery life, samsung ~3 to 4 years, BB sucks out of the gate for operation but normally has great battery life.

Removable battery is starting to be hard to find at this point, if that is critical to you, you have probably limited your phone selection to only a few models.

I hear Blackberry is working on hydrogen power. Mark my words, it'll be a game changer.

My sony xperia z3 served me well for 4 years. I honestly wish it could serve me couple more but it keeps shutting down. Changed the battery and the problem is back. I do have the warranty on the battery but I would like to replace the phone eventually. I need an awesome, rugged smartphone. Camera is not my priority. My requirements are powerful processor, removable battery and strong product that does not mind accidental drops and water spills.

GO!
S7, no removable battery (i don't think you can find one that's very splash/water resistant). Fast charging, great camera when needed and still getting software support.

Can find them on the used market for a few hundred these days.

I have a 6 yr old LG. Everything still works, but decided to upgrade to a Galaxy S10. S10 is an impressive phone but I can't vouch for its reliability. It's fast though, and the display and gizmo array is out of this world.
I have an S9+ that i bought with protest (had an s7 stop charging 1 month before my big vacation). I would have upgraded to the 10 if i still have the 7, now i'll wait a gen or 2.

S7, no removable battery (i don't think you can find one that's very splash/water resistant). Fast charging, great camera when needed and still getting software support.

Can find them on the used market for a few hundred these days.
My S7 was great at the beginning but caused me more trouble than any other phone I have owned. Taking a picture would brick the phone and it would require Odin to completely start again to get it working. Many updates, same thing, back to hours with Odin to get it running again. I gave up on it and got an S9+ because I couldn't wait anymore for the S10, the S7 was just too unreliable.

My S7 was great at the beginning but caused me more trouble than any other phone I have owned. Taking a picture would brick the phone and it would require Odin to completely start again to get it working. Many updates, same thing, back to hours with Odin to get it running again. I gave up on it and got an S9+ because I couldn't wait anymore for the S10, the S7 was just too unreliable.
Interesting, had my s7 for 2 years and not a complaint until the charging issue :(

I’ve had good runs with the 4S, 5S and 6S. Each have lasted a long time and with the new battery replacement on the 6S I can’t see myself upgrading anytime soon. Always keep them in LifeProof cases and the phones typically outlast the cases as they don’t seem to last a year.

People who truly know how it all came to this - what we are using today would really appreciate Nokia N81.

Sent from my iPhone using GTAMotorcycle.com

Sonim XP8. I'm half serious

Specifically, water resistant with a removal battery is probably almost impossible to find

What you're saying is not wrong. Just want to remind people that the Galaxy S5 had a removable battery and yet was somehow IP67 rated.

Sonim XP8. I'm half serious

What you're saying is not wrong. Just want to remind people that the Galaxy S5 had a removable battery and yet was somehow IP67 rated.
I wish they designed phones with a wet side and a dry side. The stuff on the wet side might die if it goes swimming so you put the battery and speakers out there. They are simple and cheap to replace and it avoids penetrations into the dry side. This may not be possible with the current IP ratings though as I doubt they allow some of your device to die even if the expensive parts are impervious.

I have had no issues with a Motorola G4 plus. bought new as an unlocked phone, and has ridden on bar mounts with both bicycle and motorcycle for two years.

I’ve had good runs with the 4S, 5S and 6S. Each have lasted a long time and with the new battery replacement on the 6S I can’t see myself upgrading anytime soon. Always keep them in LifeProof cases and the phones typically outlast the cases as they don’t seem to last a year.
I still have an iPhone 5 and a 5s. Both work great still but I couldn't download apps anymore. I kept getting told that new apps wouldn't work on my iOS. Phone said there were no iOS updates available. Phone slowly became just a phone.
I've gone to android since.

Sent from my SM-A530W using Tapatalk

I still have an iPhone 5 and a 5s. Both work great still but I couldn't download apps anymore. I kept getting told that new apps wouldn't work on my iOS. Phone said there were no iOS updates available. Phone slowly became just a phone.
I've gone to android since.

Sent from my SM-A530W using Tapatalk
I've got an iphone 4 and an original ipad that both work well but may both be binned as the number of apps they can run is approaching zero. Very annoying that working apps get killed by policy. I understand no new features, but killing them is just a prick move.

Back
Top Bottom