What did you do to your Race/Track Bike today - 2014 | Page 25 | GTAMotorcycle.com

What did you do to your Race/Track Bike today - 2014

Tested the tire warmers with the new genny and got the laptimer set up. I am still old school, using an IR timer, but it sure is nicer than my last one. Can't wait for Saturday - I haven't been on a bike since September. Which side is the clutch again?

Meanwhile, PDR Team Principal Allen is trying to get the bodywork painted for the GTU endurance bike (2003 Gixxer 600) so that we can test it out this weekend as well. We'll let Steve loose on that one and see if we can't get the suspension sorted and any other bugs eradicated for Round 1.

Also watched a pile of youtube videos on GB Modified Track. Seems like about 1 minute flat is respectable rookie pace for a 600 sprint race. Curious to see what I can manage on the 2-valver. If I can approach that (say, 1:02) then I might enter it in a 600 class as well as BOTT, but honestly I don't like my chances....60 seconds around there looks pretty quick!

See you guys Saturday. If anyone wants to give me a tow through 1, 2 and 3 to show me the lines I'd be grateful. The rest of the track I know.
Aubry was doing 0:55 - set yourself to probably (since it is your first time there) do 1:05 and don't be disappointing if even a little more, being that it is going to be wet and it is still cold as hell.

At 1 min you probably looking at a video of a podium guy in the rookie race. Not saying you can't just bringing some perspective

Even better thing to do I would say, is not worry about your lap times at all until the end of the day, you are going to be putting pressure on yourself instead of concentrating on learning the track and working on braking points and bike setup. maybe the last 2 sessions bring the laptime out

Last edited:
We were turning best of high 57's in endurance last yr.....most were 58-59 though.
\the yr before, Seth was 14 yrs old at the time, and turned a 57 flat on my old carbed R6 that he never rode before that endurance race, not even in a practise session.

Aubry was doing 0:55 - set yourself to probably (since it is your first time there) do 1:05 and don't be disappointing if even a little more, being that it is going to be wet and it is still cold as hell.

At 1 min you probably looking at a video of a podium guy in the rookie race. Not saying you can't just bringing some perspective

Even better thing to do I would say, is not worry about your lap times at all until the end of the day, you are going to be putting pressure on yourself instead of concentrating on learning the track and working on braking points and bike setup. maybe the last 2 sessions bring the laptime out

Ha! It's fun to speculate. Honestly, doing the math (% of my normal (not best) lap times against pro pace on other layouts) I'd be very surprised if I can't at least beat a 1:04. Of course if it rains I won't even go out because slicks. In that case Steve will have to share the endurance bike - it is on Q3s.

Man....I am so anxious to get going. This late spring is murder. When did the riding season shrink to 5 months???

But yeah...I don't time laps until I at least know which way the track goes, and feel like I have my corner speeds up.

Edit: there will be some shakedown type stuff to deal with though. As far as I know the new belly pan will catch fire in the first session...

Last edited:
Today:

- Oil change for the generator
- Removed rain front and installed slick (without removing the calipers.. whaaaaat?! more on that later)
- Bled the brakes, new RBF660
- A bit o safety wire

or one of your helpers at the track will fill up your oil an extra quart when you ask him to check the oil.
the result was bad LOL

First oil hydrolock I have ever witnessed....but I suspected it right away as soon as we saw the mosquito fogging going on.

First oil hydrolock I have ever witnessed....but I suspected it right away as soon as we saw the mosquito fogging going on.

Wait what?

edu9u7e4.jpg

Other then doing tire warmers, I do all my own work on my bike from this moment on lol

Tyler and Scott helped me take the airbox out, spark plugs out, turned the bike over to pump the oil out of the spark pug holes, and put it all back together, it still took half the day of riding in the pits to get all of it out of the exhaust.

Fresh RBF 660 (Surprised how dark it is compared to Motul 5.1) for the race bike. While I had the fluid and tools out, I did the street bike and the neighbor's as well. 660 on a casually ridden FZ1 a bit overkill for the street? ;)

I put some RBF660 in too and thought the same thing. Definitely darker than the Castrol SRF that I was using last year.

Today:
- Installed Bazzaz TC active light and TC handlebar/map switch.
- Changed air filter
- 3 tire changes
- New grips
- A bit o safety wiring

Bike is ready to ride!

I was planning to if the weather is good and my new Stahlbus bleeder valve kit gets here in time (or I get someone who knows what they're doing to bleed my brakes).
So you charge people for flashing their ECUs but can not bleed your own brakes?

Take t to Dave, he is close to you

So you charge people for flashing their ECUs but can not bleed your own brakes?

Take t to Dave, he is close to you
I tried, wasted a whole bottle of RBF 660 :( When I got it back from Sharrard he said the brakes were mushy and to re-bleed them after I worked them a bit. I left an elastic on the lever (pulled towards the bar) to help any air get outa the brembo rcs 19 master and even after bleeding both lines (using the water bottle trick) and the master a bunch of times still not nearly as nice as I had it before John rebuilt my calipers :( Bleeding them with no equipment and just one person isn't fun, but I heard those Stahlbus bleeder valves let even retards bleed brakes to perfection so it sounded like just my style. If they don't show up in time and/or I burn another bottle of 660 I'll go see Dave, thanks.

You always find a way to make everything difficult dont you?

Bleeding brakes by yourself is seriously not hard. All that is required is a wrench, pop/water bottle, and a piece of hose.
That's what I'm doing. There must be one bubble that just isn't cooperating :(

Back
Top Bottom