What did you do to your Race/Track Bike today - 2014 | Page 24 | GTAMotorcycle.com

What did you do to your Race/Track Bike today - 2014

Since they help provide a more accurate a/f ratio to an exhaust probe and allow for a better map...... yes.
Not to argue with you, just a technical question:

If the smog pump is only activated on deceleration shouldn't it not make much/any difference when tuning??

I thought so too but he showed me the dyno when I had my bike done there. Im guessing the tracks they run on dont necessarily require huge HP figures.

Mosport and Tremblant do.

If it made the numbers you stated it would be useful to know what it made in stock trim. Some dynos read low, that just seems unusually low... not that it really matters to me.

Not to argue with you, just a technical question:

If the smog pump is only activated on deceleration shouldn't it not make much/any difference when tuning??

Huge difference, it adds air to the exhaust, and throws off the reading.

Mosport and Tremblant do.

If it made the numbers you stated it would be useful to know what it made in stock trim. Some dynos read low, that just seems unusually low... not that it really matters to me.

Hmmm, his 2 best results were at Mosport and Tremblant. No idea what the story is then, but I definitely remember him showing me the figures of 158hp and 70ft lb torque. What mods does ZX600 have on his 1000 that gave him 155hp at Z1 out of curiosity?

they also open up on accelerating, for emissions only, so the only way to properly tune is to get rid of the system.
If you saw the map for my r1 with and without the smog crap it's a lot different

Hmmm, his 2 best results were at Mosport and Tremblant. No idea what the story is then, but I definitely remember him showing me the figures of 158hp and 70ft lb torque. What mods does ZX600 have on his 1000 that gave him 155hp at Z1 out of curiosity?
Rim Tape !

..No mods, stock motor - Well I do have a full race Akrapovic but so does everyone else

He had a 2014 BMW 1000RR on the dyno when I went in on Saturday, it was giving him 170HP with a stock motor.

Last edited:
they also open up on accelerating, for emissions only, so the only way to properly tune is to get rid of the system.
If you saw the map for my r1 with and without the smog crap it's a lot different
Ahhh. Thanks for the info. I thought it ran only on deceleration, didn't know it ran at other times.

Thats actually a good number at Z1, I think from memory Alex Welshs' bike was doing 158hp and 70ft lb torque on the same dyno and he came second in the championship.

Finally got around to changing oil and filter on mine and started putting the bike back together after its hibernation.

He was lying to you then or that was stock before it was built. When my Gsxr was there and put down 180hp with 80ft/lbs he commented that I was only down 3-4hp on Alex's bike and 3ft/lbs of tq. There's no way Alex would have passed Jordan on his BMW at Mosport down the back straight.

Those seem like very respectable numbers from your bike Caboose. I don't think my bike will do much better but I'll be happy with ~180....this year.

I did more sanding, all the panels are ready for paint now except the tank cover but it's ready for prep now. After my next large parts order I'll be busy for a few days then on to the Dyno, paint and I'm done, maybe in time for the Shannonville national. One hell of a way to start the season on a completely new bike.

Last edited:
He was lying to you then or that was stock before it was built. When my Gsxr was there and put down 180hp with 80ft/lbs he commented that I was only down 3-4hp on Alex's bike and 3ft/lbs of tq. There's no way Alex would have passed Jordan on his BMW at Mosport down the back straight.

Those seem like very respectable numbers from your bike Caboose. I don't think my bike will do much better but I'll be happy with ~180....this year.

I did more sanding, all the panels are ready for paint now except the tank cover but it's ready for prep now. After my next large parts order I'll be busy for a few days then on to the Dyno, paint and I'm done, maybe in time for the Shannonville national. One hell of a way to start the season on a completely new bike.

Perhaps it was miscommunication. My bike did 170 / 80 on his dyno with head work, cams and a bunch of kit parts on u4.4 and I asked if it looked competitive and the 158 / 70 figures is what he showed me since it was the same model.

He was not lying. Alex's "A" bike suffered a couple of intermittent electrical gremlins which were sorted out eventually. On a few frustrating occasions it did post low numbers. We also went through a batch of funny spec gas which provided unusually inconsistent and low numbers on the dyno. Regardless, 158 is a solid number for any stock 09-14 GSX-R1000.

He was not lying. Alex's "A" bike suffered a couple of intermittent electrical gremlins which were sorted out eventually. On a few frustrating occasions it did post low numbers. We also went through a batch of funny spec gas which provided unusually inconsistent and low numbers on the dyno. Regardless, 158 is a solid number for any stock 09-14 GSX-R1000.

Well in July when I was there this is what I was told. You've obviously got better knowledge but he wasn't obviously racing all year with 158hp. He would have had a hell of a time at mosport I would think.

All these HP numbers are going to make it that much sweeter when my little 113hp bike with a 200lbs rider passes the liter bikes this year.... followed by me getting passed by some kid on 250 im sure.

Finished painting the tail, put the new numbers on and going to pick the bike up from Speedworx, complete with my new swingarm and freshyfresh forks.

This makes me giggle.

600177_691518687531926_699767742_n.jpg

I got my numbers from Drew and this just made me laugh, look at the hand made envelope he put my numbers inside

qajute9e.jpg

4a9yte4e.jpg

Sent from my Z10 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Tested the tire warmers with the new genny and got the laptimer set up. I am still old school, using an IR timer, but it sure is nicer than my last one. Can't wait for Saturday - I haven't been on a bike since September. Which side is the clutch again?

Meanwhile, PDR Team Principal Allen is trying to get the bodywork painted for the GTU endurance bike (2003 Gixxer 600) so that we can test it out this weekend as well. We'll let Steve loose on that one and see if we can't get the suspension sorted and any other bugs eradicated for Round 1.

Also watched a pile of youtube videos on GB Modified Track. Seems like about 1 minute flat is respectable rookie pace for a 600 sprint race. Curious to see what I can manage on the 2-valver. If I can approach that (say, 1:02) then I might enter it in a 600 class as well as BOTT, but honestly I don't like my chances....60 seconds around there looks pretty quick!

See you guys Saturday. If anyone wants to give me a tow through 1, 2 and 3 to show me the lines I'd be grateful. The rest of the track I know.

Back
Top Bottom