What did you do in your garage today..? | Page 120 | GTAMotorcycle.com

What did you do in your garage today..?

I'll take Lucas all day long before Ducati electronics. AFIK you only find Ducati on el cheapo chinese stuff.
Ducati won't use Ducati electronics.
... and if you didn't know; Ducati started as an electric company. Made toasters and radios before the war, made radios for the Nazi's during the war. Their factory got bombed into oblivion. After rebuilding the factory. they made their first motorcycle, the Cucciolo, or Little Pup.

I'll take Lucas all day long before Ducati electronics. AFIK you only find Ducati on el cheapo chinese stuff.
Ducati won't use Ducati electronics.
... and if you didn't know; Ducati started as an electric company. Made toasters and radios before the war, made radios for the Nazi's during the war. Their factory got bombed into oblivion. After rebuilding the factory. they made their first motorcycle, the Cucciolo, or Little Pup.
Cucciolo wasn't a motorcycle, it was "Whizzer kit", they first make the bicycle part.

...about 6 years later.... After selling lots of Wizzer kits, Ducati started making mopeds using their "whizzer".

Yeah, it was a motor clipped onto an existing bike... I brought it up because it is more or less the same origin story as Honda, that made a kit to put a little two stoke motor, that came from army surplus radio generators, onto an existing bicycle... after the war, to get the broke and broken population on wheels. Honda made piston rings before the war.

Been doing a fair bit of work on the bike. Mostly around solving my sputtering idle problem, and clutch issues. Both I am close to solving now.

The clutch, so over the past few years my clutch once adjusted would slowly or rapidly go out of adjustment while riding. I suspected a few problems, one the routing of the cable, the "throw" bearing on the spindle, and the overall adjustment. End of last season I poked around Durham HD to check the routing of the cable. Sure enough I didn't have it quite right.

Pulled the cover off and re-routed the cable.
clutch cover.jpeg

Then replaced the throw bearing since it was in the same area of the bike.
spindle.jpeg

Bottom set is the old ones, you can see how they were grooved.

Next was the overall adjustment. Lately I've been tightening the clutch basket tight and the cable also tighter and it seems to be working as I would expect. I really do think the HD instructions in the manual are open to interpretation. I've literally done it that way, and watched videos people doing it that way and it just doesn't work. Only 1 video mentions tightening the clutch nut until you can't and this method works, but it's not how it's explained in the service manual.

Anyhow doing the more tighter method seems to be working (fingers crossed) after yesterday long ride the clutch worked all day without issues.

The sputtering at idle still escapes me. But I did discover the exhaust may have not being camped at the cross over and I mixed up the O2 sensor positions, so doing the clutch work helped me get that back to right since I had to remove it. The bike sounded normal after doing that.

Also replaced the oil and switched over to Amsoil, and it's much better, so far no pinging and bike is much smoother, well for an HD.

Cousin brought over his lawnmower for me to swap out the carb, air filter, and spark plug.

He dropped it off, I pulled the cord 2x and it fired up and worked like a charm. Mowed the back yard at lunch.

Can confirm...it was a cousin problem (mind you I couldn't get it started 3 weeks ago either).

So...during working around the house, I'm not going to say who but it rhymes with D-A-D decided it's a good idea to shake a can of the 'Good Stuff' expanding foam atop the scaffold. Unfortunately my car was about 10ft away and he must've shaken it strong enough that it flew in the wind right onto my hood / front bumper.

I tried to clean it off quick, but his 'it just happened' was about 15-20min so the stuff started drying up and now I have a yellow hue on the hood / plastic.

Any recommendations on how to get this off?

IMG_5842.jpeg

There’s more on the hood but impossible to see in the morning sun.

So...during working around the house, I'm not going to say who but it rhymes with D-A-D decided it's a good idea to shake a can of the 'Good Stuff' expanding foam atop the scaffold. Unfortunately my car was about 10ft away and he must've shaken it strong enough that it flew in the wind right onto my hood / front bumper.

I tried to clean it off quick, but his 'it just happened' was about 15-20min so the stuff started drying up and now I have a yellow hue on the hood / plastic.

View attachment 61165

Elbow grease and D-A-D :LOL:
maybe gogone?

Ouch -- that's hard to remove. Acetone or MEK will work, but test is somewhere hidden on your paint -- the stuff can attack paint.

I get it off my hands with WD40, but it's not usually cured -- don't know if that will work on a car.

The good news is spray foam hates sunshine (UV) -- if you leave it in the sun it will crystalize and come off slowly as a fine dust. Will take some time by eventually it will a little will disappear each time you get that D-A-D fellow to wash your car.

Removed the exhaust on my old ATV to replace a leaky exhaust gasket. last night Discovered a missing header bolt which I figured it had rattled loose (a common issue). After removing the header pipe I found the bolt had snapped off deep inside the head - AND - a broken easy-out tip was stuck in the remaining bolt. I guess the previous owner broke it, put it back together using the remaining 3 manifold bolts.

Simple 1 hour job turns into a day's work. Arrrrgh!!!

View attachment 61165

Haha. I feel your pain. On the last deck I was building, I tossed a can of orange marking paint out of the way so I didn't accidentally bump it and spray something. I got super unlucky and it hit something pointy that pierced the can. That sent is spinning across the end of the deck and side of the house. Bleeping bleep bleep. That's what I get for being lazy and tossing it.

As for how to make the foam disappear, the obvious answer is sell the car. Otherwise MM has good suggestions.

View attachment 61165

Try a clay bar.
I took one to my ridgeline on the weekend.
I got rid of shopping cart marks on doors that were 4 yrs old, and some 3-4 yr old bird turd stains on the hood.

Maguiers Ultimate Compound works well for light stuff and is very user friendly (ie more difficult to screw things up worse) and that would be my first go-to unless you have experience with professional grade stuff.

Haha. I feel your pain. On the last deck I was building, I tossed a can of orange marking paint out of the way so I didn't accidentally bump it and spray something. I got super unlucky and it hit something pointy that pierced the can. That sent is spinning across the end of the deck and side of the house. Bleeping bleep bleep. That's what I get for being lazy and tossing it.

As for how to make the foam disappear, the obvious answer is sell the car. Otherwise MM has good suggestions.
I think a full on detail is in order. The clearcoat needs some work, and it's been too long. Probably need a detail to get top dollar once I sell it anyway.

Plus I need a garage for a proper detailing of the exterior as apparently I shouldn't do it in the sun.

Thanks for the suggestions @Mad Mike, @Hardwrkr13 and @Gary. Thanks for the mocking @sburns!

Try a clay bar.
I took one to my ridgeline on the weekend.
I got rid of shopping cart marks on doors that were 4 yrs old, and some 3-4 yr old bird turd stains on the hood.
Is there a lot involved with this work?

Is there a lot involved with this work?
Not too much......but soooo worth it!
I washed my truck.....thought I did a good job.....tried scrubbing tf out of the stains to no avail.
I planned on clay bar'n the spots/stains only.
It worked so amazingly well, I did the whole thing.
There's not a mark on it now, and the surface is smoother than the day I bought it.
I should ceramic coat it (I have the stuff) but that's the real hard part, and I'm lazy.
Be sure to keep the clay bar lubed, and enjoy the results.

Not too much......but soooo worth it!
I washed my truck.....thought I did a good job.....tried scrubbing tf out of the stains to no avail.
I planned on clay bar'n the spots/stains only.
It worked so amazingly well, I did the whole thing.
There's not a mark on it now, and the surface is smoother than the day I bought it.
I should ceramic coat it (I have the stuff) but that's the real hard part, and I'm lazy.
Be sure to keep the clay bar lubed, and enjoy the results.
Thanks, I'll look into it once I get further in with the work, and I have space in the garage as I'd prefer to do it indoors.

View attachment 61165

For free: Gas on a rag, lots of rubbing.
For a price: Decal rubber eraser wheel

A clay bar/mitt might help but its not really what its meant for. I doubt it would be able to get it all off. Acetone would work but I wouldn't touch the plastic with it.

I like the idea of just leaving it in the sun to flake off, but if you're impatient, maybe try rubbing alcohol?

When I first got the supersport, I decided to see how it looked sleeping on my driveway with my foot trapped under it.

That fun adventure (unhappy wife trying to lift the much hated motorcycle off of her recently healed husband) broke the clutch lever.

I bought and installed a set of PUIG levers and have always hated them. They just feel bad.

Old levers small.jpg

I always really liked my Pazzo Racing levers on my monster, may she rest in peace, but the fitment was not listed on Pazzos website.
I contacted them, but they had not gotten around to verifying what levers I needed.

I did some cross referencing with Ducati part numbers from my bike to other models and back to the Pazzo fitment guide and came up with the numbers I needed.

Levers came in today and I had them installed in about half an hour. I went daring with the white theme as opposed to black.

Clutch small.jpg

New small.jpg

Nice guys that they are, they sent some swag along as well. A lanyard, beer cozy and a buff.

Swag.jpg

Back
Top Bottom