What did you do in your garage today..? | Page 111 | GTAMotorcycle.com

What did you do in your garage today..?

View attachment 60091
I have this mark in the black paint of the Husky garage cabinet door from being outside for a week. I had clear tape over this spot and I’m guessing the sunshine through the tape hurt the paint. I haven’t hit it with any compound or polish yet. Any best practice ideas to fix it or is it not coming out?
It could be adhesive, focused light or trapped moisture steamed in. If it doesn't feel like adhesive, a quick buff should make it disappear. Be careful, there is texture in the existing paint and this could quickly expand to a full toolbox paint correction and ceramic coating.

I would try some automotive Klay bar followed by a McGuire's waxing compounds. And of course elbow grease.
Edit.
Gentle elbow grease

I had already hit it with Goo Off as there was some residue so I know it’s not glue.
I buffed it with Maguiers Ultimate Compound with no improvement which is my lightest compound and about as abrasive as I want to go. Don’t want to muck it up worse. Thankfully it’s on the corner unit so not very noticeable (my ocd sees it though).

But that's what the land is worth? Put up or shut up.
Problem if it's built: The homes backing onto a golf course fetch a 50-60% premium over the same house that doesn't. That premium evaporates once the project is approved.

Buyout is too costly. There are 48 impacted homes, and 72 proposed new lots, so each homeowner would have to buy 1.5 lots under all-in conditions. The cost was projected around $1.5M foe each existing homeowner. It might add a little value to their existing property, but nowhere near $1.5m

I had already hit it with Goo Off as there was some residue so I know it’s not glue.
I buffed it with Maguiers Ultimate Compound with no improvement which is my lightest compound and about as abrasive as I want to go. Don’t want to muck it up worse. Thankfully it’s on the corner unit so not very noticeable (my ocd sees it though).
Try a heat gun or rubbing it with pure methanol. It might be just moisture is trapped in the paint, either will take care of that. .

Problem if it's built: The homes backing onto a golf course fetch a 50-60% premium over the same house that doesn't. That premium evaporates once the project is approved.

Buyout is too costly. There are 48 impacted homes, and 72 proposed new lots, so each homeowner would have to buy 1.5 lots under all-in conditions. The cost was projected around $1.5M foe each existing homeowner. It might add a little value to their existing property, but nowhere near $1.5m
I'm not saying it is a good deal for existing homeowners. I am saying they are competing against people willing to pay that. Too many people want to tell others what they can do with their land. The golf course didnt get the 50-60% lot premium, that went to previous homeowners.

I'm not saying it is a good deal for existing homeowners. I am saying they are competing against people willing to pay that. Too many people want to tell others what they can do with their land. The golf course didnt get the 50-60% lot premium, that went to previous homeowners.
The golf course is owned by the original developer, in 2000 they commanded a 40% premium for new homes backing onto a fairway.

If I were impacted I'd be raging mad - but I'm not, I do feel sympathy for my neighbours.

Try a heat gun or rubbing it with pure methanol. It might be just moisture is trapped in the paint, either will take care of that. .
I was going to suggest moving it back outside into the sun on a nice day or two for the same reason.

The golf course is owned by the original developer, in 2000 they commanded a 40% premium for new homes backing onto a fairway.

If I were impacted I'd be raging mad - but I'm not, I do feel sympathy for my neighbours.
If you don't own it, assume it is going to become a tower and be thankful if it doesn't. I intentionally bought in the middle of a development as you are never sure what will happen around the edges.

If you don't own it, assume it is going to become a tower and be thankful if it doesn't. I intentionally bought in the middle of a development as you are never sure what will happen around the edges.
Your happiness in your home is never guarantied. What if an ass^&^*hole moves in next door. Could make a great home, hell to live in.
So far we have been lucky. Great neighbours all around.

Last edited:
You still don't know, you'll never know everything.

A friend is looking for a large subsivision house to convert into a youth group home in Barrie.

Any streets he should avoid?

It's out. I squirted it with the suggested penetrating oil, drilled a half inch hole in a scrap piece of two by six, cut the tip off of a drumstick and used that and the suggested socket to tap it out. Next problem is that the new one is twisting when it goes in. I'm going to try putting the cylinder in the freezer and heating up the lever, and hope that helps. Of course the black piece that came off, has to be pushed into the exact right position for the cylinder to go through properly. Wish I had the shop manual. From what I've heard, you have to rent it online for Triumph now.
rFCIKaDm.jpg

Last edited:
Any recommendations for something to put underneath a car and prevent spills beyond the oil pan?

I typically do my oil changes and there's always a small spill on the garage floor, so just looking to put something underneath the pan?

Small cheapo inflatable kiddie pool worked wonders for my coolant/oil changes on those windy days . They used to be $2-$3 at dollar store, reusable, zero mess, easy to store. The ones with 3 separate rings were the best as you can use one ring, or go all the way up to the pan. Put regular oil drain pan inside and not a single drop on the floor.

Sent from my iPhone using GTAMotorcycle.com mobile app

It's back in. Brakes seems to work, I still have to make sure the brake light works.
I had to use different forms of persuasion. In the meantime, another part that I didn't know was removable fell into the pizza box. Just the push bar for the brakes. It went back in easy enough, there was some lubricant holding in place.
4jXTKEvm.jpg
mg9vnEHm.jpg

Hopefully, the barkbusters will prevent a recurrence. I may adjust them slightly lower to improve the chances.

Edit: Apparently, I was supposed to buy a $40 kit of tools to remove/replace the brake lever pivot.

Last edited:
Small cheapo inflatable kiddie pool worked wonders for my coolant/oil changes on those windy days . They used to be $2-$3 at dollar store, reusable, zero mess, easy to store. The ones with 3 separate rings were the best as you can use one ring, or go all the way up to the pan. Put regular oil drain pan inside and not a single drop on the floor.

Sent from my iPhone using GTAMotorcycle.com mobile app
To prevent oil getting on bike parts and avoid getting it onto the floor, I use aluminum foil.
1. To protect the bike part
2. To create a channel/funnel and allow to oil to flow directly into the container.

Then just fold the foil and place it in recycling/garbage.
1680233034861.png

You can also get reusable silicone and moldable funnels. But aluminum foil is cheaper.

1680233225363.png

Oil change mess? I use a large worn out teflon cookie sheet under the pan or the same piece of cardboard I use to catch any drips when I oil the chain. Cardboard lasts a full season and then gets chucked into the garbage. Cookie sheet just gets wiped off, had it for years.

You can also get reusable silicone and moldable funnels. But aluminum foil is cheaper.

View attachment 60111

I also have one of these and it's priceless when it comes to certain scenarios like draining coolant:

AMWts8DLNtrRCDOhzs1-1Q_kJijW6RHfxtcSmoGLdhECeE2AL4Ghxv7spirZ54AeeRRmi89Il0jjcV0R5e7szVwYCs4FC1Rij3QiefGdSrOSo4VKjC_5IqRTdXgYwz_BhrC8kaY11hWa5kzAS6JibgXIJXtHLg=w2642-h1982-s-no

Or draining oil from the filter housing and keeping it from filling up the bash plate:

AMWts8CNcwDkEG8nSkGHEuoRtJ6OYOXfqqx_riFFKKcrBXi78OMY8F3URMvW_u_cNBStnkrxGfqh35-EDIU-1fQYFRYR90wdQiAqgrUpL_OTC2MQo0goRqv6ZTyNhF_I33_aVmhrTG5NneqV2rVb-JpF0_wf=w1487-h1982-s-no

I also hang it on the inside edge of my oil pan at an angle to catch the flow of a typical gravity drain, which prevents the fluid from splashing out of the drain pan onto the floor or lift.

Back
Top Bottom