What Are You Currently Listening To? | Page 120 | GTAMotorcycle.com

What Are You Currently Listening To?

I think Triumph might have played my high school. There were a few bands that did the rotation.
That would have been cool. A lot of great Canadian bands since the 1970s.

I never did see them during my concert going days. They came to Ottawa somewhere between Allied Forces and Thunder Seven. Not sure how I missed out. It was the mid 1980s that I started to regularly see bands.

This shows what an underrated guitar player Rik Emmett is and also that like Rush they used a lot of lasers and effects to really put together an exciting show:

And then this is the opposite. Just the 3 of them and their musicianship. Oh, and roughly 250000 people to enjoy it. Many forget what a big deal they were at one time.

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

'Bit of a nostalgia trip last night... 'Buddy gave me the 'Heads up re. TVO's broadcast of "Picture My Face, The Story of Teenage Head".

Man... the 80's.. 'What a great time to be a high school kid. I recall they played my high school 1980/81-ish.

Link to the Documentry

'Bit of a nostalgia trip last night... 'Buddy gave me the 'Heads up re. TVO's broadcast of "Picture My Face, The Story of Teenage Head".

Man... the 80's.. 'What a great time to be a high school kid. I recall they played my high school 1980/81-ish.

Link to the Documentry

I PVR’d it...thanks for the reminder to watch it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have been on a Triumph kick of all things (the band; not the bike). Never Surrender was always my favorite CD.

I have watched the YouTube video of their concert during the US festival in 1983. I think they left a good 5 to 10 years on the table. They came slightly after Rush but left oh so much earlier.

I guess Surveillance was the final straw for Rik Emmett but there is a lot I like on that work. Apparently there is a documentary coming up on this power trio. I look forward to it.

Also, I have been going on a Halestorm rabbit hole. They first came to my attention many years ago when they were on Bar Rescue of all things. Again, a you tube rabbit hole. Next thing I knew I have their first 3 CDs enroute via ebay and their third cover CD. My wife has a smattering of songs of theirs she has bought via itunes over the years.

Lzzy Hale is the real deal. Several concerts available on YouTube to check out. The past few years she has seemed to gravitate to spending a certain amount of time in every concert playing a piano and sometimes doing requests from the fan. Her rendition of their song "Dear Daughter" can literally raise the hair on your arms. I put on a video of her doing an Adele cover and then going into Dear Daughter and my wife turned her head and just said "Wow".

At any rate they are a working band in an old school way. Apparently pre Covid they usually did about 250 shows a year. That is incredible. I purposely bought all 4 CDs new to support them.

Old school rocker and headbanger here so when Grundge left I felt like a musical orphan. While I watch old and new movies alike my music has been stuck in the mid 1990s and earlier.

I am trying to get into some "new" music. So, Jack White, The Strokes, Halestorm, Greta Van Fleet.

None of these acts are particularly new but for me this is a big deal.

Any newer rock acts to recommend to this middle aged fossil?

Saw Triumph at Maple Leaf Gardens (Allied Forces Tour) New Years Eve 1981. Can’t recall the supporting act(s)...Harlequin? may have been one of them and two others? You’re making me feel old

Have you listened to any songs by The Raconteurs ??? Jack White is involved. Mainstream songs like “Steady as she goes” and “Together” lead you towards the increasingly diverse song catalogue. Great lyrics and a unique sound. Headphones are recommended but not required.

Saw Triumph at Maple Leaf Gardens (Allied Forces Tour) New Years Eve 1981. Can’t recall the supporting act(s)...Harlequin? may have been one of them and two others? You’re making me feel old

Have you listened to any songs by The Raconteurs ??? Jack White is involved. Mainstream songs like “Steady as she goes” and “Together” lead you towards the increasingly diverse song catalogue. Great lyrics and a unique sound. Headphones are recommended but not required.

Thanks for the recommendation. I will check it out.

Harlequin? Better believe Zoodles knows that band. Like The Payolas, Strange Advance, Loverboy etc there were a lot of good, underrated Canadian bands from the early 1980s.

Want to guess my age? Easy enough... The fact that I have a CD collection and the contents pretty much give it away...

"Innocence" and "Superstitious Feelings" are the two main songs I know from Harlequin.

Obvs he is popular for Backbone & Drop the Needle, but imho this is his best track.
Just so smooth.
Reminds me of Guru.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

I have been on a Triumph kick of all things (the band; not the bike). Never Surrender was always my favorite CD.

I have watched the YouTube video of their concert during the US festival in 1983. I think they left a good 5 to 10 years on the table. They came slightly after Rush but left oh so much earlier.

I guess Surveillance was the final straw for Rik Emmett but there is a lot I like on that work. Apparently there is a documentary coming up on this power trio. I look forward to it.

Also, I have been going on a Halestorm rabbit hole. They first came to my attention many years ago when they were on Bar Rescue of all things. Again, a you tube rabbit hole. Next thing I knew I have their first 3 CDs enroute via ebay and their third cover CD. My wife has a smattering of songs of theirs she has bought via itunes over the years.

Lzzy Hale is the real deal. Several concerts available on YouTube to check out. The past few years she has seemed to gravitate to spending a certain amount of time in every concert playing a piano and sometimes doing requests from the fan. Her rendition of their song "Dear Daughter" can literally raise the hair on your arms. I put on a video of her doing an Adele cover and then going into Dear Daughter and my wife turned her head and just said "Wow".

At any rate they are a working band in an old school way. Apparently pre Covid they usually did about 250 shows a year. That is incredible. I purposely bought all 4 CDs new to support them.

Old school rocker and headbanger here so when Grundge left I felt like a musical orphan. While I watch old and new movies alike my music has been stuck in the mid 1990s and earlier.

I am trying to get into some "new" music. So, Jack White, The Strokes, Halestorm, Greta Van Fleet.

None of these acts are particularly new but for me this is a big deal.

Any newer rock acts to recommend to this middle aged fossil?

Gonna check out some of the music you posted.
In general, I never gave enough respect to Canadian artists when I was younger, except for Rush.
But Triumph did some great stuff.
Not heavy enough for you, but I always find myself going back to Honeymoon Suite.
Again, never really appreciated them growing up.

I find it interesting that 2 of the 4 newish bands you mentioned are popular because of their nostalgic sound.
The stuff that my son says is Metal nowadays doesn't get much rotation from me.
Also nice to see I'm not the only person that still buys CDs.

Edit: just saw your follow up post to Robbo where we basically said the same thing.

Now if you'll excuse me, I have some Chilliwack & Toronto to listen to.

Thanks for the recommendation. I will check it out.

Harlequin? Better believe Zoodles knows that band. Like The Payolas, Strange Advance, Loverboy etc there were a lot of good, underrated Canadian bands from the early 1980s.

Want to guess my age? Easy enough... The fact that I have a CD collection and the contents pretty much give it away...

"Innocence" and "Superstitious Feelings" are the two main songs I know from Harlequin.
I wanna hang out with you.

Here’s another one...now we just need to find a bus we can ride on top of .

Reactions: J_F
Here’s another one...now we just need to find a bus we can ride on top of .

I always liked them, but never one of my faves.
The singer's voice is just too....... particular, for me.
Felt the same way about The Tea Party.

Can’t forget about this Canadian Metal Queen
We drove “all the way from Scarborough to Brampton” to see her because my good buddy was...let’s say...a little infatuated .

Can’t forget about this Canadian Metal Queen
We drove “all the way from Scarborough to Brampton” to see her because my good buddy was...let’s say...a little infatuated .

A little??
Dude I was in Brampton and she lived down the street from my then girlfriend.
Smoke show.
She's still pretty hawt
My buddy did a show with her last year or the year before at a TO club
I should have went.

f10d148afe78888f9c0d9cc13e2b5ee7.jpg

A little??
Dude I was in Brampton and she lived down the street from my then girlfriend.
Smoke show.
She's still pretty hawt
My buddy did a show with her last year or the year before at a TO club
I should have went.

f10d148afe78888f9c0d9cc13e2b5ee7.jpg

‘A little’ was an understatement Joe . And I had no problem tagging along. I can’t remember the name of the bar but there were only a dozen or so people in the place. Up close and personal .

Still cant get enough of this.

Been listening to alot of "The Knocks" and "Pucifer" as well lately

‘A little’ was an understatement Joe . And I had no problem tagging along. I can’t remember the name of the bar but there were only a dozen or so people in the place. Up close and personal .

Depending on the year could have been the place under where CFNY studios were on Kennedy.
At one time it was called Hooterville Station.

Back
Top Bottom