What a scary ride yesterday | GTAMotorcycle.com

What a scary ride yesterday

Merkid

Our usual group of five headed up to the Mono Mills area early yesterday morning.

Thru the Forks and onward, little traffic and we had temps ranging from 18C which was perfect. The problem was the return trip in the early afternoon when temps got up to 31C and folks flooded the roadways.

Not sure if the warm temps were making people nuts but we got cut off from passing cars in a hurry, crossing solid lines. The worse was a farmer positioned in the opposing lane pulling a trailer across a two lane highway in front of us . We had two Goldwings with full lighting leading us and the farmer made his move. We all hit the binders and were thankful we were spaced well.

Then we watched traffic in front of us suddenly pull over to the shoulder within the public trail areas, no signals of course.

Lastly hundreds of the bicycle warriors in the Campbellville area taking up entire lanes without moving over for traffic.

I have never seen a day like yesterday in over 20 yrs of taking these routes. We all texted last night to agree that Sunday rides are history.

Yeah week-end rides, not worth it, unless you get far far away from the GTA.
Suprised about the farmer, usually they are not a concern, the rest though.... :rolleyes:

Campbellville / bicycles.....? ? ? ?..kings of the road....does the sign not ask to share the road ?.. so why do the bicycles not share ?
Cause they’re c...u...$...&..s.... many times I got stuck behind them and those asshats are 3 wide riding beside each other. Double yellow with nowhere to pass.

days like now I’d be out of the house by 6am and back by 10. Just easier and nice and cool.

Cause they’re c...u...$...&..s.... many times I got stuck behind them and those asshats are 3 wide riding beside each other. Double yellow with nowhere to pass.

days like now I’d be out of the house by 6am and back by 10. Just easier and nice and cool.
I passed a group of about 8 of them last summer, bunch of middle aged guys with gear matching their bikes and those 3 ft long helmets. They were right across the lane, despite there being a bike lane RIGHT F***ING THERE! Bunch of motorless squids...

It is not illegal to overtake on double yellow lines in Ontario, fyi.

Oh I know. But when the road goes up and down and up and down....I’m a little hesitant.
I ride a bicycle quite a lot and even I am annoyed by the aholes on group rides. Yes, people are legally required to give you space, but it's the same as the people going 100 km/h in the left lane of a highway. Being legally correct doesn't make you not an ahole. When things get a little tight (for instance a hilly windy road), move over to allow faster traffic to safely pass. If things get dangerously tight (for instance in roundabouts), spread out and take the whole lane to make it clear that there is no passing, then collapse again after the road opens up.

I grew up in Campbellville, its become some sort of Mecca for the peddling crowd. I'm surprised there hasn't been more roadside beatings because this whole " i deserve all my lane" and the groups of tour du turd riding 20 deep 3 wide have annoyed the locals for decades. And i ride a bicycle and i cant stand them.

I joke about them and call them spandex-wearing fairies. :p What do the fancy tights exactly help with anyway? These guys aren't running the Tour de France where seconds count!

I joke about them and call them spandex-wearing fairies. :p What do the fancy tights exactly help with anyway? These guys aren't running the Tour de France where seconds count!
They really are much more comfortable. Not having baggy shorts helps a bit with the wind and a lot with getting on and off the seat without extra fabric getting hung up. Bike shirts give you some convenient pockets but mainly help considerably with temperature regulation (in the summer it is cooler than no shirt as it evaporates the sweat instead of it dripping, when it's cooler wear windblocker to make things a little warmer without feeling bulky and still getting rid of sweat.

To OP's point, I'm losing the joy of riding on the road in Southern Ontario because of it - enjoying trail riding more but having to travel farther to get to them is a ***** too.

None of OPs story surprises me. Southern Ontario is what it is. Too many cars, too many people driving at a time when social anxieties are at an all-time high.

Sent from my SGH-M919V using GTAMotorcycle.com mobile app

Had to almost lock it up yesterday too. Old farm wench comes roaring out with her bigass pickup truck, looking straight down the road, somehow didn't see me and pulled right out, but stopped 4' onto the road when she finally saw me. I've learned to anticipate this sort of thing from these idiots, so I was well into braking. Shook my finger at the dunce and kept going.

I had some dip-**** run the stop sign in the outskirts of KW and I almost died. I think Nafziger Rd?

And people trying to pass tractors going to Elora/Fergus :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

Back
Top Bottom