Weird tool | Page 3 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Weird tool

Didnt want to create a new thread, but what kind of a chisel would I need to remove the race on the lower head bearing?
Just any run of the mill chisel would do? I know some are made specifically for cutting wood, some for metal, some for concrete...

Chisel? Normally I would use a punch. If you want a chisel, use a cold chisel it is designed for metal.

that works, thanks!
Yeah, punch or a big flat head screwdriver. It won't take much to pop out the race.

Best way to reinstall: take the race you popped out, make a relief cut through it with a dremel or a grinder (makes it easy to remove) and use the old race and a hammer to drive in the new ones.
f46f64d3040bd8a55e38748564b93459.jpg

Sent from my SM-G903W using Tapatalk

A short bead of weld on the race will shrink when it cools along with race. Then the race can literally fall out. It worked on my KLR.
The KLR stem narrows between the races making it hard to get a purchase on the race with the chisel.
The only caution - be sure not to weld the race to the stem or you'll be getting out the dremel as I had to...

A short bead of weld on the race will shrink when it cools along with race. Then the race can literally fall out. It worked on my KLR.
The KLR stem narrows between the races making it hard to get a purchase on the race with the chisel.
The only caution - be sure not to weld the race to the stem or you'll be getting out the dremel as I had to...
And when you get the race out,make a pair of little notches that will let you use a punch to change it the next time.

quick question, im looking at vise's..they seem to have little holes are these to mount them on your workbench?
and do you HAVE to mount them? (My workbench is a makeshift stainless steel restaurant table)

Can I just get a vise and use it without bolting it down?

quick question, im looking at vise's..they seem to have little holes are these to mount them on your workbench?
and do you HAVE to mount them? (My workbench is a makeshift stainless steel restaurant table)

How big a vice are you looking at? The utility of a vice increases substantially when it is attached to something solid.

That being said, I currently have a spare vice I picked up an estate sale that is ~50 lbs that I just put on the floor of the garage when I need to use it. Between the weight and putting a foot on it, it is good enough for 90% of what you need. If it was a 10 lb store special it would be almost useless when used this way other than as a work holder.

Bolting the vice to something light wonts help you much as all (and may just tip your table over as the vice should hang off the edge).

quick question, im looking at vise's..they seem to have little holes are these to mount them on your workbench? and do you HAVE to mount them? (My workbench is a makeshift stainless steel restaurant table) Can I just get a vise and use it without bolting it down?

Get an appropriate sized piece of 3/4 plywood or a 2 x 8 or 2 x 10 board and mount your vise to it. When you need to use the vise you just use a few clamps it to secure the mount to the table. This gives you the flexibility of having it securely mounted but you can still move it around if required.

vises should be fastened down so your only concentrating on the job your doing, not holding the vise and trying to do a job

Probably not, unless all you want to use it for is tying flies.

If you are using a restaraunt table, get a 2x10 short to back the bottom side of the tabletop then bolt the vice thru the top and 2x10.

Im guessing one of those suction vaccum vises are no bueno either?

Im guessing one of those suction vaccum vises are no bueno either?
What size vices are you looking at? I haven't seen a bench vice with suction. If you did happen to go this route, it is very important that the vice is rigid on the surface. Hitting something on a wobbly vice would be an exercise in frustration.

The vice on a board that then gets clamped is a good portable solution. If you have a trailer hitch, a vice mounted in the hitch can work too (not ideal, but better than a loose vice).

Was looking at something like this:

or

Was looking at something like this:

or

Those aren't vises. Those are work holders (where your work is a circuit board or similar).

As a minimum, a 4" vise at ~20 lbs is a vise. Bigger is better.

8655490.jpg

A suction cup vice is fine for little jobs. But if you're going to be (for one example) clamping a chunk of metal in there and trying to adjust the bend in it (last thing I used mine for to adjust the angle of a backrest bracket) physics dictates that the forces being generated will quickly overwhelm anything other than a good old fashioned "bolted to the table" arrangement.

Back
Top Bottom