Weekend Trip: Riding around Barry's Bay and Calabogie Area | GTAMotorcycle.com

Weekend Trip: Riding around Barry's Bay and Calabogie Area

i-WERKS

Since I first started riding, I've been always reading about the Calabogie and the awesome roads in the area. Calabogie was always too far for a single day trip. This year, I made it point to find a base camp in the area so I can ride all these roads I've been reading about. Me and two friends booked a cabin on Kennebec Lake in Ardendale, Ontario. This would be our home base for 2 nights.

Our day 1 route goes north around Barry's Bay before heading to our cabin. The highlight of this route was Elephant Lake Road, Kamaniskeg Lake Road, Elephant Lake Road, Kartuzy Road and Old Barry's Bay Road. They were not tight 2nd gear curves on these roads but there were plenty of curves to navigate at higher speeds.
4R4PcX4.jpg

We left on Friday Sept 16. The forecast on the night before showed no rain for the entire weekend. On the Friday morning, rain was forecasted for most of the day and Sunday as well on our ride home. It showed only a few mm of rain so I elected not to bring rain pants. Based on my past experience with my riding pants, I knew they were somewhat water resistant and dries very quickly.

Rain hit about 10mins into the ride but cleared up once we got closer to Barry's Bay.

Attempting to dry off my gloves on the engine.
ASQ0nG0.jpg

The bikes. I'm on a CB500X. My friends on the FZ8 and CBR600RR haven't ridden much since the pandemic started. In the past two years, they've put on less than 100km on their bikes. We would end up riding over 1000km over the 3 days. They don't have the most comfortable bikes but they did not complain.
InmDzXX.jpg

We stopped in Cloyne to pick up some beer and other supplies from the general store at around 6pm. Google search showed only one place to eat in the area called The Hot Rod Smoke House. As we pulled up, we were greeted with a sketchy hand painted sign and a food truck on what appears to be someone's driveway. We chose to stay and the food wasn't bad at all.
nnvoyHm.jpg

With our full bellies and beers in our bags, we made it to the cabin just in time for the sunset. We had to navigate a short gravel road to get there but we all made it. It clouded over once it got dark so no stars to look at.
WMpN32t.jpg

Our day 2 route - From the Cabin to McDonalds Corners to Mississippi Mills, Calabogie, Matawatchan with a stop at the Irvine Lake Airstrip.
Hwy 511 and Calabogie Road were excellent but S Lavant Road and Centennial Lake Road were definately the highlights. There was lots of freshly laid asphalt on this route.
NXUnqIZ.jpg

First, we stopped at Paul's Creek Campground in McDonalds Corners for Breakfast. Their patio looked inviting so we decided to check it out. Food was good but their service was amazing. The patio looks like it was renovated recently. All the furniture was new and clean. The washrooms were much nicer that the outhouse at the Cabin.
ek6fEma.jpg

Stopping to refuel the FZ8 with a jerry can... The worst range of the group.
BvFN7Rx.jpg

At the Calabogie Peaks Resort
6oqZWFw.jpg

I've read about the abandoned airstrip at Irvine lake and made it a point to check it out. We got onto Irvine Lake Road and was met with very loose gravel.
pGfRaIY.jpg

We rode in about 1.5 km and couldn't find an entrance to the airstrip. I tried pulling up Google's satellite view but we had no cell service. We ended up turning around as the road wasn't ideal for the street bikes. When we did get cell service, it looked like we had turned around just before the entrance to the airstrip. Good to know for next time.
2JhBFxi.jpg

Last edited:
On our way back to the cabin, we picked up some food to cook over the fire, some more beers and again made it back for sunset.
Z04LzAM.jpg

KWO7bkH.jpg

zvKSGl5.jpg

BUg7dQT.jpg

lQynlqM.jpg

fY3CNZW.jpg

Fall colours coming through
c6RgudD.jpg

We had a few hours of clear skies at night and the milky way was visible.
WVy29yX.jpg

mDxphDp.jpg

We woke up to some heavy rain, the forecast showed it coming down the whole day. We packed up and took the 228KM direct route home.
oJJ38tp.jpg

hkgz8nc.jpg

8Bm3P6E.jpg

Heavy rain at times but the roads we got to ride on made it worth it.
NF5kJaX.jpg

k3hfpLd.jpg

Thanks for reading!

Awesome. Too bad about the rain, but at least you got to enjoy some roads out that way.

I love that area and always look forward to going back there.

nice ride!

The guy riding the cbr wouldnt be a guy from brampton named vicky by any chance would it?

The last time I went to Lavant Station it was gravel. Is it paved now?
Also, have they repaved around Black Donald, which was torn up earlier this year?
. . . waiting for a sunny day . . .

Nice ride repot and looks like you had fun.

Our day 2 route - From the Cabin to McDonalds Corners to Mississippi Mills, Calabogie, Matawatchan with a stop at the Irvine Lake Airstrip.
Hwy 511 and Calabogie Road were excellent but S Lavant Road and Centennial Lake Road were definately the highlights. There was lots of freshly laid asphalt on this route.
NXUnqIZ.jpg

Nice ride! Those are some my favorite roads in the entire province. (y)

Bigpoppa - Nope, not Vicky on the CBR.
Baggsy - Road to Lavant Station was freshly paved. Amazing road. I don't recall any gravel around the McDonalds Corners area.
Lightcycle- I agree. I have not ridden any roads like this before. Not for long stretches like this.

I don't know how you guys did Calabogie in one day. It's a 6 hour round trip just to get there and you can easily ride another 6 hours on the roads in the area.

Bigpoppa - Nope, not Vicky on the CBR.
Baggsy - Road to Lavant Station was freshly paved. Amazing road. I don't recall any gravel around the McDonalds Corners area.

I don't know how you guys did Calabogie in one day. It's a 6 hour round trip just to get there and you can easily ride another 6 hours on the roads in the area.
I live less than an hour away.

edit: or slightly over an hour, if I take the scenic route.

I’m an hour and a bit from the southern end of these roads. I like it up there too. No idea if the Red Neck Bistro is still operating in Calabogie but check that out next time if it is. Great food.

I've done Ottawa Valley and back in a day.

It's basically Kickstands Up at the crack of dawn and returning well after dark, even around the summer solstice. First and last parts of the ride leaving and coming back to the city are always slab anyway.

Some riders I know do Pennsylvania and back in a day. That's a long a$s day.

I’m an hour and a bit from the southern end of these roads. I like it up there too. No idea if the Red Neck Bistro is still operating in Calabogie but check that out next time if it is. Great food.
The Redneck Bistro is always good and busy too. Best place in town.

The neat coffee shop east of Calabogie is excellent for breakfast

Neat Coffee Shop
(613) 433-9960

Have done the single day ride to Bogie many times, and even played 9 holes after. But retired now so no need to.

Just add an overnight and ride a bunch more roads including Gatineau park and along the River.

Good recommendations. We passed by Redneck Bistro on our route and it looks like a great spot.

Starship - I saw your post on the Day Trips thread about Bent Anchor Bar in Barry's Bay and added it to my route. Unfortunately, we departed a bit late and made it to the area right in between lunch and dinner so we skipped it. I'll add Neat Coffee Shop to my bookmarks for next time.

Back
Top Bottom