WE - Your Opinion? | GTAMotorcycle.com

WE - Your Opinion?

Mad Mike

Lots in the news about WE and their founders. While the may have a body of great work, it’s becoming painfully evident the Kielburger brothers are no different than self enriching evangelical preachers like Jim and Tammy Baker and Jimmy Swaggart.

A complex web of private Kielberger companies intertwined and dealing at non-arms length with a registered charity, employees claiming fundraising practices target and assist companies that operate 180 degrees from the charities stated ideals,unorthodox real estate investments rumoured to beintertwined with the family realty and property management. Everything stinks.

All done under the battle cry of “Save the children”.

This disturbs me greatly. I hope the organization and brothers gets a comprensive financial, tax and compliance audits.

You have an opinion?

Have not followed this too much but I doubt that a proper comprehensive tax audit that you mention is something that will happen or something that they are worried about.

Did you see even Toronto is tied into this? I may be off of the details a little, but Kielburger parents own a commercial building in Toronto through a numbered company. Building is worth 2 to 3 million. City of Toronto is renting this building starting January 2020 on a 10 year lease for something like 10 million + 3 million in leesee upgrades. No wonder the rich get richer so quickly. Anybody else have a tenant that pays off your property every two years and doubles the value of the property while they are at it?

Comes across as a weird cult. Charity is fine and all but be suspicious when “charismatic leaders” come into play.

its going to be found to be "charitable" and dirty to the ninth degree. and when there is this much money and so much top level involvement , nothing will happen, it will quietly go away.

Ontario gas plants, SNC lavalin, Hydro One /Ontario Hydro, pipe line funding, Senators bilking the system.....

Unfortunately most “charitable organizations” are far from it. Pennies of the donations actually go to doing anything good. Nothing shocking here.

Sent from my iPhone using GTAMotorcycle.com

Unfortunately most “charitable organizations” are far from it. Pennies of the donations actually go to doing anything good. Nothing shocking here.

Sent from my iPhone using GTAMotorcycle.com
In this case, it looks like pennies may be optimistic.

Been trying to follow it, and TBH it has just reinforced opinion of charity's and non profit's in general.

Even if they start out with the best of intentions (like MADD) they all end up as professional money raisers where the majority of the money goes to the board and staff to cover "expenses" while very little actually trickles down to the folks who they claim to be raising the money for.

This is particularly disturbing as if I'm personally asked for a donation I can refuse. From what I can gather it seems like the Canadian government handed over, or where in the process of handing over almost a billion of taxpayers money to WE.

I also watched the testimony of those 2 brothers and they just seemed particularly shifty and evasive.

Edit... From an old CBC article...

Top salaries at charities on Ontario Sunshine List 2016:

• Piers Handling, $352,260, Toronto International Film Festival Inc., Director & CEO.
  • George Habib, $342,831, Ontario Lung Association, President & CEO.
  • John Rafferty, $326,300, The Canadian National Institute for the Blind, President & CEO.
  • David Samuel Hillier, $322,877, Shepherd Village (seniors' care), President & CEO.
  • Conrad Sauve, $321,299, The Canadian Red Cross, President & CEO.
  • Barry Bisson, $316,731, Shad Valley International (education), President.
  • Medhat Mahdy, $305,303, YMCA of Greater Toronto, President & CEO.
  • Paul Goodyear, $303,956, The Governing Council of the Salvation Army, Territorial financial secretary.
  • Anthony Sargent, $299,999, Luminato (Toronto Festival of Arts), CEO.
  • Myroslav Klymkiw, $297,440, Canadian Film Centre, CEO.
  • Michele Maheux, $284,279, Toronto International Film Festival, Executive director and chief operating officer.
  • Kevin Frey, $268,836, Right To Play International, CEO.
  • Julia Dumanian, $268,749, Canadian Hearing Society, President & CEO.
  • Catherine Macdonald, $264,953, Ontario Society For the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals, CEO.
  • Susanne Gillespie, $264,300, Pathways to Education Canada, President & CEO.
  • Sharon Broughton, $258,411, Kids Help Phone, President & CEO.
  • Geoff Cape, $255,329, Evergreen (urban sustainability), CEO.
  • Deborah Sevenpifer, $253,784, YMCA of Greater Toronto, Chief financial officer.
  • Andria Spindel, $252,709, March of Dimes Canada, President & CEO.

After watching the wire, am not surprised, corruption and fraud are worse at the top,
left wing right wing on the same bird.

Think Megachurch. Starts out doing good, but then those at the top get addicted to money.

BLM seems destined to go the same way.

This is so corrupt

I didn't even know about these folks until this scandal.

Justin Trudeau is dirty dirty dirty

Did anyone know of this organisation before they got in the news? I didn't.

yes..vaguely. There’s a whole slew of these kinds of charities that use a mobilized and enthusiastic base of young people to do “good” around the world. Many of them seem to just be businesses masquerading under the “non profit” shield. The charities can still be non-profits and pay the top honchos massive salaries and they are structured in a pyramid style. The youth do the proselytizing and recruitment for more youth to collect funds and those funds get funnelled to the top and a fraction of the collection goes to cover the non-profit label. A lot of these charities promise to build schools and other things around the world using the volunteers. The volunteers pay a hefty price for the privilege of doing this themselves. Or, more often they collect more funds to do so. Because the volunteers are not skilled builders quite a few of these structures get demolished afterwards and rebuilt by locals with actual skills who were there all the time. The volunteers get their saviour complex fulfillment and their instagram photos and resume padding.....the charity is taking their large cut....and sometimes, but not all the time, the village that actually needed help gets something.

I turn down students doing the recruiting in my lectures. I’ve told them that what they are actually doing is acting like a very expensive travel agent with very little actual charity. There are other variations on this where the charities tell students that they can get medical experience abroad and help a community in need. The wholly unqualified student gets to parade around and pretend they are doctors while the poor patients are their props. I find the whole mess to be very unethical to be honest.

I had heard of them only because of the enormous rallies they had pretty regularly. Get an auditorium full of kids then get them all jacked up with motivational speeches and a lot of lights and noise. One kid starts going nuts, they all follow pretty quickly. That was part of the attraction with many of these speakers. undeserved adoration from a bunch of screaming children. Those rallies were very cult like, imo.
In that many of the speakers had very strong and deep Liberal roots, I wonder if there was any grooming of these future voters going on there? That would be even more disturbing than the payments for speaking.

WE is a huge waste of money in my opinion.Why does the Govt need to spend over One Billion dollars to help students find a job? What is the purpose of WE? What is so difficult of a student applying for a summer job on their own? Do we have to hold someone's hand on showing how to go to business to hand in an application. Unless I'm missing something here. What we do we need to spend - 1 billion on this. . You may as well just give every student 10,000 dollars for doing nothing. WE is a huge scam. Surprised they actually got caught in the middle of a pandemic, and if this is a legit charity, then why aren't people who are speaking at these events doing it voluntarily? Do they really have to pay someone 25,000 dollars to speak for an hour or so.
Imagine what 1 billion dollars can do to help our seniors or health care workers. Not this half ass fake charity corporation. Unbelievable.

Why is this scandal happening? Justin Trudeau and Bill Morneau are very smart people. Their families are rich and powerful. So why do it?
They must have complete contempt for the working public. Damn commoners!

None of this is unique to WE. At worst they were just better at it.

If you want to clean up "charities" have them submit tightly regulated tax returns each year, publish exactly what percentage of the money they collected went to the actual causes. Next year anyone who donates to that charity gets their donation de-rated to match what actually went to the cause. If only 10% of what goes in goes to the cause your donation is only worth 10% of what you paid at tax time, in the end the other 90% bought a product. They will still try to cook the books, it needs to be watched.

Exclude, employee/executive pay, advertising, fundraising, lottery payouts, etc.

In the end most people do not donate for tax purposes but they will now be forced to see each year what really went to the causes and they will likely rethink future donations. Now they are just blind.

Don't even get me started on the United Way and that extortion racket of payroll deduction. Don't donate, don't get promoted or worse yet get canned at the next layoff. Not a team player, they know who donates, executives want the bragging of how "generous" their employees are. It is criminal.

Why is this scandal happening? Justin Trudeau and Bill Morneau are very smart people. Their families are rich and powerful. So why do it?
More money, more power.
Remember SNC Lavalin? Water under the bridge.

The longer you get away with it, the more careless you get.

There is an arrogance that comes from excess. Politicians look at opposing parties for fault and blame and don’t look at themselves for how they execute their own plans.

And they found the magic solution when getting caught. Just apologize and move on.

The more sincere the apology has a way of making the next one easier to do.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom