WE - Your Opinion? | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

WE - Your Opinion?

Why is this scandal happening? Justin Trudeau and Bill Morneau are very smart people. Their families are rich and powerful. So why do it?
They must have complete contempt for the working public. Damn commoners!

It is not like previous left and right governments have not had greasy dealings. Single source contracts, kickbacks etc.

What I cannot figure out with Trudeau and Morneau is why they are such rookies at it, so bad at it. Seems to keep blowing up in their faces. Past guys usually had enough of a buffer zone pay this guy, that pays that guy that pays...), some were even smart enough to get the kickback after they left office (immediately after in some cases) in fat appointments, BoD and private contracts (sort of a kickbacks held in escrow).

Why are these guys this bad at it?

None of them should be doing it of course, but sadly, so far, they all do.

Last edited:
Trudeau, lol. Anyone remember Mirabel?
Another time... Another place.

None of them should be doing it of course, but sadly, so far, they all do.
While they all do it. What they all dont do is go around signalling to the world that they are perfectly virtuous, moral and fair.
This man actually believes that he is morally better than almost everyone, all the while he is running around doing the same thing that he criticizes others for.
Its not the first time either. Criticizes people as being racist and then videos surface of him in blackface. Criticizes men about their "sexual mistreatment" of woman and then it turns out a woman is accusing him of inappropriate touching and pictures surface of him with his finger practically on a breast.

I wish we had a strong media to shake this like a puppy shakes a slipper.

Sadly most mainstream media has a strong liberal bias, they may be friendly to the bad guys and this might get lost if some other newsy thing pops up.

And I sometimes wish I was a slime ball and could conjure up a fake charity and know how to sell it....easy life.

damn this being a normal decent (for the most part) human being.

just in case...sarcasm 90%

wasn't WE at one time called feed the children?

wasn't WE at one time called feed the children?
Free the children?, at one point the kid was raising cash for other charities. At some point his brother got involved and another he stopped working for other charities. His old school teacher is also involved in the organization.

Did anyone know of this organisation before they got in the news? I didn't.
Craig was in the news ~15 years ago as a kid/ teen raising money for charity.
Did a bunch of school tours and talks.
Like people posted earlier, I believe it originally started with the right motives.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

WE is simply a vote buying, political greasing liberal party "charity". What kind of charity makes their "volunteers" sign a non-disclosure agreement.
Of course JT is going to deflect with his prepared "answers" and say it was all just a big misunderstanding.

I feel like someone needs to defend WE here. It seems like the unpopular thing to do, having read this thread and seeing all the unavoidable news of late, but every now and then, someone's gotta take a contrarian view.

I've had the fortune to join WE in India, spending a week with some board members (at the time, I don't think any of 'em are there anymore), Craig, and some other employees, both from Canada and local staff in India. I went in to the trip with some of the same trepidation that have been raised here ... fancy digs in a seriously impoverished land, with 'volunteers' paying to pat themselves on the back and feel 'blessed' for some IG likes. After spending 10 days or so in a remote part of the country with WE, my opinions changed. This group did the work. I saw schools that they had built (still standing!), were building (supervised by local experts hired/paid to oversee the work) and were planning to renovate/fix/rebuild. I saw whole villages that received new stoves that had simple solutions to improve the lives of the people living there. I saw the livestock and crops that WE bought for local farmers that improved yields, affording larger profits for villagers. WE's philosophy seemed to be to teach and do big and little things that would improve lives for generations to come. Craig had a genuine passion for all of this, as far as I could tell (I never met Marc). While this particular place had a WE compound and offered paid trips, they also did this kind of work in places where they did not have trips or a fancy compound.

On that trip, every day was planned with something new ... building, tourism, showing off their work. It was structured differently than the normal 'paid volunteer' trips, I think ... I've never done the paid volunteer trip thing. On the day we went to the school-in-progress, we built for a few hours and were scheduled not to go back for the rest of the week. I happened to really enjoy the building part and asked the organizers if I could do that instead of other activities I was less than interested in. They drove me and a team I 'recruited' back and forth every day to the build site, had local builders supervise, direct and help me, and we got some actual work done. When I asked how long after we leave before they destroy it and rebuild to code, they assured me that that's why they had the local builders there, so that work wouldn't have to be done twice. They checked my work diligently and corrected/fixed as we went along. It all seemed legit.

I also never signed an NDA! I can't vouch for everything going on with WE and, to be honest, I've generally stayed away from the coverage. What I can say is that I've seen the good work they do. I can vouch for Craig's passion and actual desire to make the world a better place.

I feel like someone needs to defend WE here. It seems like the unpopular thing to do, having read this thread and seeing all the unavoidable news of late, but every now and then, someone's gotta take a contrarian view.

I've had the fortune to join WE in India, spending a week with some board members (at the time, I don't think any of 'em are there anymore), Craig, and some other employees, both from Canada and local staff in India. I went in to the trip with some of the same trepidation that have been raised here ... fancy digs in a seriously impoverished land, with 'volunteers' paying to pat themselves on the back and feel 'blessed' for some IG likes. After spending 10 days or so in a remote part of the country with WE, my opinions changed. This group did the work. I saw schools that they had built (still standing!), were building (supervised by local experts hired/paid to oversee the work) and were planning to renovate/fix/rebuild. I saw whole villages that received new stoves that had simple solutions to improve the lives of the people living there. I saw the livestock and crops that WE bought for local farmers that improved yields, affording larger profits for villagers. WE's philosophy seemed to be to teach and do big and little things that would improve lives for generations to come. Craig had a genuine passion for all of this, as far as I could tell (I never met Marc). While this particular place had a WE compound and offered paid trips, they also did this kind of work in places where they did not have trips or a fancy compound.

On that trip, every day was planned with something new ... building, tourism, showing off their work. It was structured differently than the normal 'paid volunteer' trips, I think ... I've never done the paid volunteer trip thing. On the day we went to the school-in-progress, we built for a few hours and were scheduled not to go back for the rest of the week. I happened to really enjoy the building part and asked the organizers if I could do that instead of other activities I was less than interested in. They drove me and a team I 'recruited' back and forth every day to the build site, had local builders supervise, direct and help me, and we got some actual work done. When I asked how long after we leave before they destroy it and rebuild to code, they assured me that that's why they had the local builders there, so that work wouldn't have to be done twice. They checked my work diligently and corrected/fixed as we went along. It all seemed legit.

I also never signed an NDA! I can't vouch for everything going on with WE and, to be honest, I've generally stayed away from the coverage. What I can say is that I've seen the good work they do. I can vouch for Craig's passion and actual desire to make the world a better place.
Contrarian is not unpopular. It's great. The vast majority of us do not have first-hand experience with WE. You do. You have presented evidence that they have done some good and are not just a shell game (in all probability they are a huge shell game but at least there is a portion of that money that goes to good). Thanks. Out of interest, when was your trip? It seems like WE started off with good intentions but has been slipping off course over time.

As for the NDA's, that seems to be associated with WE employees, not WE volunteers.

Contrarian is not unpopular. It's great. The vast majority of us do not have first-hand experience with WE. You do. You have presented evidence that they have done some good and are not just a shell game (in all probability they are a huge shell game but at least there is a portion of that money that goes to good). Thanks. Out of interest, when was your trip? It seems like WE started off with good intentions but has been slipping off course over time.

As for the NDA's, that seems to be associated with WE employees, not WE volunteers.

About 5 years ago IIRC. And thanks!

Many times these ventures could start with good intentions. Once $100 donated becomes $10 actually doing charity work there is a huge problem IMO. $1M donated can build a lot of schools. 10% of it can still build some schools. Doesn’t mean the charity organization is still doing “good work”, again just MO. If locally they are using up 90% of donations that part is not good work.

Sent from my iPhone using GTAMotorcycle.com

Although the example above seems legit. I really wonder how much of the money they raised for that example actually went to people that need it as opposed to how much this for profit organization pocketed for themselves. I never really understood the need for all these fringe charities. They are countless well organized legit charities already out there e.g World vision etc. Why not support them instead of making a for profit charity if you really do care on helping others. Like others have said this WE thing seems like a pyramid scam. Can't figure out how the Federal Govt thinks it's ok to hand over One Billion dollars to a couple of con artists.

Although the example above seems legit. I really wonder how much of the money they raised for that example actually went to people that need it as opposed to how much this for profit organization pocketed for themselves. I never really understood the need for all these fringe charities. They are countless well organized legit charities already out there e.g World vision etc. Why not support them instead of making a for profit charity if you really do care on helping others. Like others have said this WE thing seems like a pyramid scam. Can't figure out how the Federal Govt thinks it's ok to hand over One Billion dollars to a couple of con artists.
They didn't, they are going to throw the civil service under the bus and say "we trust them to do good work, they recommended WE for this sole source contract."

Until we get a whistle blower about someone in government trying to ram this through it will stink, but everyone will walk away.

They didn't, they are going to throw the civil service under the bus and say "we trust them to do good work, they recommended WE for this sole source contract."

Until we get a whistle blower about someone in government trying to ram this through it will stink, but everyone will walk away.
The whistleblower probably had to sign an NDA during the discussions with WE so exposing the scam opens them up to civil liability (and obviously the end of their career).

Back
Top Bottom