We finally did it. | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

We finally did it.

They presented a range of options for Council to consider, though recognized that it will take a cooperative effort with the County and OPP to make it happen. Their recommendations include:

1. Create a bylaw to prohibit noisy motorcycles
  2. More police presence including speed enforcement blitzes
  3. Photo Radar
  4. Making the road pedestrian only on summer weekends
  5. Stop signs at several intersections
  6. Reduced speed limit
  7. Banning heavy trucks

Sympathetic to long standing resident concerns, Council directed staff to investigate a bylaw to regulate excessive noise from motorcycles. They also asked the Police Service Board to evaluation the group's other recommendations.

1 is probably of limited effectiveness if Caledon's experience is anything to go by, although perhaps it might placate the complainers.
2 expect cops a lot more ... they have a brand spanking new 50 zone east and west of Airport Road now, and I've seen cops sitting in a driveway in that section, and I've also seen one parked just west of there.
3 they would have to designate a "community safety zone" ... but since there are no underlying criteria for what constitutes such a zone, it can arbitrarily be declared, and then they can put a speed camera there with signs indicating its presence. Honestly, I don't mind this, within reason. It's an "are you paying attention" test. Most tickets will probably be to local residents in their cars. This fits into "be careful what you wish for, you might just get it".
4 won't happen.
5 could happen, particularly at the junction of 3rd Line EHS (the flashing light), perhaps where Hockley joins 5th SR (east of the school near highway 10). All of the other cross roads are with minor gravel roads; a 4-way stop at those would be hard to justify. If they put in 4-way stops, instead of hearing the occasional vehicle cruise past at steady speed, they'll hear EVERY vehicle including the heavy trucks accelerate away from a stop for a much longer period. The 3rd Line EHS junction is on a hill; the truck drivers will love that. "Be careful what you wish for, you might just get it"
6 they already reduced the speed limit on each side of Airport Road. No one follows the existing speed limits; most vehicles speeding will be local residents in their cars.
7 I don't think Hockley Road itself is much of a truck route except for the short section that is concurrent with 5th Sideroad - and that road is another matter due to gravel pits ... banning trucks there is not going to happen.

We have a stop sign at the corner where we live. Thank Christ we are not a busy intersection. The one on Credit Woodlands drives me bonkers as cars accelerate hard.

Sure put up stop signs….watch them promptly be torn down by the residents next door to them.

I think they’ve already made signs that indicate it’s a ‘community safety zone’ in that area. Just a matter of time before photo radar is installed.

Just read this thread and it looks like my take away should be - ignore the stupid home owners they're just whiners it's my right to save lives anywhere I choose.
Not sure that gets us to (keeps us in ??) the happy place.

This wouldn't be an issue if ALL bikes had stock exhaust systems.
It's odd how whenever there's a 'loud pipes saves lives' thread most responders are indignant that people would put aftermarket pipes on their bikes just to make noise yet when there's a thread like this on residents complaining about loud motorcycles riding past their houses; well, they're just being nimbies - not in my back yard and I should have known better before I bought here 20 or 30 years ago.

What you stated in your post is interesting to ponder. What would happen if there was a law passed that made it illegal to have an aftermarket pipe on a motorcycle except for use at a sanctioned race track? I suppose we'd see the divide between true motorcycle enthusiasts and the 'big noise - little dick' crowd. The straight pipe Harley group would be tearing their hair out (if they have any?).

It's odd how whenever there's a 'loud pipes saves lives' thread most responders are indignant that people would put aftermarket pipes on their bikes just to make noise yet when there's a thread like this on residents complaining about loud motorcycles riding past their houses; well, they're just being nimbies - not in my back yard and I should have known better before I bought here 20 or 30 years ago.

What you stated in your post is interesting to ponder. What would happen if there was a law passed that made it illegal to have an aftermarket pipe on a motorcycle except for use at a sanctioned race track? I suppose we'd see the divide between true motorcycle enthusiasts and the 'big noise - little dick' crowd. The straight pipe Harley group would be tearing their hair out (if they have any?).
I'd be ok with that. Could only be good for motorcyling in the long run.

Fine...if they come up with a ruling like that in order to improve the quality of life - I'd like the option to opt out of those emergency alerts that keep blowing up my phones when I'm trying to catch up on sleep during my on-call week/shifts.

Noise pollution in my own bedroom lol.

Just read this thread and it looks like my take away should be - ignore the stupid home owners they're just whiners it's my right to save lives anywhere I choose.
Not sure that gets us to (keeps us in ??) the happy place.

Doing our part is a matter of being responsible. The street bikes that I put the most mileage on, have stock exhaust systems, and the others are aftermarket but not ridiculously obnoxious ... and the other thing is to keep the speed down in general. Hockley at the posted speed limit is intolerable, but at the somewhat higher speed that most traffic goes, it's okay (and that's the reason most traffic goes that speed).

The irresponsible crowd - whether on account of noise or irresponsible riding - doesn't listen to the old codgers ... and they're responsible for most of the problem.

You will never please home owners who freak out at the sight of a motorcycle no matter what the rider is doing.

Lets all make a petition to pave the damn SouthWood Road.

Shh. Let everyone think Hockley is the only one worth doing. Keep all the attention (and heat) there.
I actually think it was you that pointed out a few roads in the area that are awesome outside of Hockley. But it’s been a while now. Can’t remember who, but the roads are great.

Fine...if they come up with a ruling like that in order to improve the quality of life - I'd like the option to opt out of those emergency alerts that keep blowing up my phones when I'm trying to catch up on sleep during my on-call week/shifts.

Noise pollution in my own bedroom lol.
New phones have options. Can pick off/vibration/noise for each type of alert (amber/silver/weather/etc).

It's really about enforcement. Make all of the noise laws you want, but if local cops or the OPP elect to ignore these due to other "priorities" or because they do not have the resources to enforce, then the laws are virtually meaningless. Same as speed laws reducing the limit from 50 - 60 kph to 30 - 40 kph through small towns due to resident concerns about speeding bikes/cars/trucks doing 90 kph. If the laws were enforced for the 60 limit they'd probably be happy, but they believe by lowering the limit to 40 that people will slow down to maybe 60 or 70 vs. the 90 kph they'd normally be doing. Problem with this is that no one would be doing the 40 kph but occasionally some poor sucker would get tagged doing 50.

I've never modified an exhaust system and I don't red line the bike just to make noise, so I'm not part of that problem. On the speeding issue I'd say I'm mostly compliant. It particular when hitting a town line I roll off the gas, brake and reduce speed until I've cleared the lower limit zone and everyone is happy.

If you have limited resources to enforce then focus on the outliers with targeted enforcement. Go to your local Timmies at 11 PM on a w/e night, corral the bikes and test every one with a non OEM exhaust. On the supply side make it an offence to import, sell, install or modify any exhaust to exceed the OEM db level for all vehicles. On the owner side include a statement on the annual license plate sticker form. "I have not modified my exhaust system" Yes or No, with a $500 (or more) fine for a false statement. There are lots of ways to approach this problem if government had the capability to problem solve.

If you have limited resources to enforce then focus on the outliers with targeted enforcement. Go to your local Timmies at 11 PM on a w/e night, corral the bikes and test every one with a non OEM exhaust.
You don't even have to go that far. If the muffler has "not for highway use" stamped on it they're done. I believe that's the law now in California.

Looks like we finally achieved our goal, pissing the locals off. In the short run nothing will change but an increase in police presence, but eventually there will be significant changes. Can't give the middle finger to the tax paying residents forever, after all these are the same people who vote for the councils etc.

Noisy Motorcycles on Hockley Road Not Welcome​

This is what a group of residents living on Hockley Road impressed upon Council. Representing the group, Trish Keachie and D’Arcy O’Neill told Council that noise, speeding and the volume of truck traffic on the County road needs to be addressed. They presented a range of options for Council to consider, though recognized that it will take a cooperative effort with the County and OPP to make it happen. Their recommendations include:

1. Create a bylaw to prohibit noisy motorcycles
  2. More police presence including speed enforcement blitzes
  3. Photo Radar
  4. Making the road pedestrian only on summer weekends
  5. Stop signs at several intersections
  6. Reduced speed limit
  7. Banning heavy trucks

Sympathetic to long standing resident concerns, Council directed staff to investigate a bylaw to regulate excessive noise from motorcycles. They also asked the Police Service Board to evaluation the group's other recommendations.

That's a pretty nice wish list from a bunch of hippies used to living in rural Disneyland. Unfortunately I'm not so sure Mono council is going to go for it. Making it pedestrian only? LOL. I can see more stop signs, but that will make the road worse as bikes stop, rev up and take off. I can see lower speed limits and more police, for awhile then back to usual. Bylaws against noisy bikes? Caledon did that too, they still have noisy bikes there.
People on Hockley road need to understand that civilisation has found them. The GTA is growing, and the only quiet country is up around North Bay.

Back
Top Bottom