Waterproof and Warm Cruiser Style Riding Boot suggestions. | GTAMotorcycle.com

Waterproof and Warm Cruiser Style Riding Boot suggestions.

SeaBreez

So after getting my leather riding boots soaked yesterday (warm feet thanks to wool socks), it seems I should look into getting some better (waterproof) boots. I would appreciate any suggestions for a cruiser style boot. Thanks.

You might want to get an over-boot - have yet to see anything that really stays dry in an extensive heavy rain.
I gave up on motorcycle boots and went back to my gortex hiking boots - they still don't stay dry - especially in streams :D but have better grip in the gunk and good grip on pavement and will dry out properly.

They look good - I don't need them as the Burgman has so much protection upfront boots are not an issue and in Australia it's so warm I don't care but I like the way they come up high - that's a good design.
Any commuter on an open bike they should be a must have.

Thanks for the info. Checked out some "Engineer boots" at Royal while out on my ride today. I like the look but probably not 100% waterproof. I'll check out the overboots though.

So after getting my leather riding boots soaked yesterday (warm feet thanks to wool socks), it seems I should look into getting some better (waterproof) boots. I would appreciate any suggestions for a cruiser style boot. Thanks.

Look at the Sidi Canyon Gore Tex. I have ridden in pouring rain for hours and my feet stayed dry. Just rode down to W. Virginia & Ohio this weekend, my torso and legs were cold but my feet were warm...1 pr. wool blend socks in the Sidis.

Sidi_Canyon_Gore-Tex_Boots_detail.jpg

Not cheap but good looking boots. $350 at Revzilla - who allow returns.
http://www.revzilla.com/product/sidi-canyon-gore-tex-boots

That's the kind of dual sport boot I wear in Aus - little taller than a regular road boot but these look like a better lug on the sole.

I wear a set of these ( http://www.rideicon.com/products/?productGroupId=257 ) when i'm not wearing my traditional track boots. I originally purchased them so I could still have a bit of protection for short distances that involved walking. I quickly found out they were great for longer cooler rides and have been caught in a few downpours with no issues of leakage. In my opinion they are surprisingly versatile for the money and carry decent value.

Sidi_Canyon_Gore-Tex_Boots_detail.jpg

Not cheap but good looking boots. $350 at Revzilla - who allow returns.
http://www.revzilla.com/product/sidi-canyon-gore-tex-boots

That's the kind of dual sport boot I wear in Aus - little taller than a regular road boot but these look like a better lug on the sole.

+1. They have these at Dual Sport Plus in Hamilton. I went in looking for a different boot (something with a higher cut) but these were by far the most comfortable waterproof boot I've ever had on. The tread is great for walking around, even hiking, and very grippey (needed to walk the bike without slipping out and dropping it). The boot is also completely waterproof.

I find waterproof boots are extremely rigid and aren't well ventilated for the 90% of the day's ride when it's NOT raining... Then there is the pretty high probability that you will surely get caught in a storm, the day you opt for the more comfortable non-waterproof pair.

I prefer cycling (or even motorcycle) waterproof over-boots, stored with my rain-suit and easy to throw on if it starts pouring.

These can be had on eBay for anywhere between $10-40 or at a cycling store under $50 and roll-up tidy with your rain suit.

MEC sells cycling overboots with a rear reflective patch for around $30/pair. I wear these in the summer over my non-waterproof boots.

Otherwise and during the colder seasons, I wear Alpinestars Web Gortex which are warm, waterproof and comfy for walking around or all day standing in them... My last pair lasted over 200k. My new pair was $200 all in.

Hey, thanks for the great suggestions. Kinda ****** off my waterproof "FXR" snowmobile mitts got totally soaked on Saturday's ride home from Buffalo - first day wearing them. Royal says 2 weeks for the manufacturer to look them over. WTF waterproof means waterproof, no? They have been on the register drying out for two days. I had planned to wear them tomorrow on my hookey ride to Windsor via Port Dover and Hwy 3. :(

Last edited:
I find waterproof boots are extremely rigid and aren't well ventilated for the 90% of the day's ride when it's NOT raining... Then there is the pretty high probability that you will surely get caught in a storm, the day you opt for the more comfortable non-waterproof pair.

I prefer cycling (or even motorcycle) waterproof over-boots, stored with my rain-suit and easy to throw on if it starts pouring.

These can be had on eBay for anywhere between $10-40 or at a cycling store under $50 and roll-up tidy with your rain suit.

Gore-Tex has pores too small for liquid water to pass through but large enough for water vapour molecules to pass through.
See....
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gore-Tex
I wore the Sidi Gore-Tex canyon boots in deserts and snow and water up to my ankles. I hiked comfortably in Utah last July wearing them.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/52755149@N07/7750081642/in/set-72157630523304910/
i have purchased some s#1t over the years but I made a great choice w these boots. You get what you pay for....I wear all Gore-Tex raingear....expensive but well worth it!

Hey, thanks for the great suggestions. Kinda ****** off my waterproof "FXR" snowmobile mitts got totally soaked on Saturday's ride home from Buffalo - first day wearing them. Royal says 2 weeks for the manufacturer to look them over. WTF waterproof means waterproof, no?

no - as you will find with a lot of supposedly "waterproof" gear.
Latex gloves worn over or under riding gloves can be fully waterproof.

If you are riding a lot the overboots give you truly waterproof when needed while allowing your choice of riding boot for non-wet conditions.

I prefer that approach across the board - jacket and pants as well rather than try and find something that works in all conditions.....I'd rather a truly waterproof outer layer I can put on or off as needed and get comfortable dry weather gear ( love my mesh jacket ).

The over layer approach works for cooler weather too but it depends on whether you have any storage available.....that's a factor.

+ 1 on alpinestar webgoretex + maintenance with waterproofing wax before trips (once a year). I'm on my 2nd pair since 2006 and still waterproof feet stayed dry after 4 hrs rain yesterday from West Virginia.
The way you wear gloves/boots under/over your rain suit and feet/ arm position can let water seep in through the top. My gloves go over the waterproof inner liner of my jacket and under the outer shell (scorpion commander), wearing it on top will guarantee my hands getting wet.

Back
Top Bottom