watch repair recommendations? | GTAMotorcycle.com

watch repair recommendations?

Freddy F

Site Supporter
Hi all, ,looking for someone I can trust to repair/service a 120 year old watch without wrecking it. West end GTA. The watch stopped working recently, hopefully it just needs a cleaning or lube or something.

Thats very cool , and an interesting place in history . The pendant watch converted to a wrist watch.
At the turn of the last century 1900-1910ish they were just starting to get movements small enough to be a wrist watch , everybody previously had a pocket watch. Around the outbreak of WW1 it became very handy (see what i did there) to have a wrist watch and thousands of watches had wire bails soldered onto the case side to accomodate a strap.
Time became an important part of war , we will stop shelling at 12:08 and you can send the lads up the ladders for the machine guns to chew up. Time was important so you didnt have you own guys shelling you and eliminating all the fun for the machine gunners. There are still a fair number of trench watches in the market place. Probably several thousand in the trenches.

All I know is that you push in the little button and rotate the knob to set the time. Called Shane, he said that type is a "cylinder" type. It is very dear to my Mom, as she was given the watch by her grandmother back around 1942, but then her mother promptly took the watch "for safekeeping" only returning it many decades later after having worn it and having it modified. Extremely sore point with Mom.

Always wanted a cool watch like that, especially a pocket watch. There's something about them that draws me to them.

Wasn't there a watch thread at some point?

And now it’s another watch thread LOL . I have two pocket watches one from each grandpa . One is silver and a bit beat up , typical of that grandpa , other is gold and a railway movement and in very nice shape , also typical of the other gramps . I never carry either and should move them along but stuck in the sentiment thing.

Sent from my iPhone using GTAMotorcycle.com

My dad isn't the sentimental type so he doesn't believe in keeping stuff like that.

Maybe I will...just need to find a nice watch / pocket watch that I'd like to keep and pass on, but buying it doesn't seem to have that same sentiment as 'inheriting' it and letting it pass through each generation.

My dad isn't the sentimental type so he doesn't believe in keeping stuff like that.

Maybe I will...just need to find a nice watch / pocket watch that I'd like to keep and pass on, but buying it doesn't seem to have that same sentiment as 'inheriting' it and letting it pass through each generation.
As cool as timepieces are, they need occasional expensive love. It can go either way where the watch is only sentimental and keeping it going is lighting money on fire or if you made a good choice, it can go to the moon and a future spawn may sell it and use the money as a downpayment on a house. Kids will probably get my watches but they are nothing that special and not heirlooms.

My Sgian Dubh will hopefully stay in the family forever. I had it engraved so it's not worth all that much resale, it requires almost no maintenance assuming it is kept in a reasonable environment and it's small enough that it is easy to keep around. Passing down Grand Pappies piano may be cool but at some point it will get dumped as it doesn't fit in somebodies house. My wife has a sapphire necklace made from her grandmothers ring. It's not nearly as cool as a timepiece as it isn't much to look at. It was the prized possession of someone that worked their ass off for their entire life (retired at 80). Will our kids care about the sapphire? They will only know it as moms necklace with a story about someone they never met.

I have a small collection of watches, both pocket and wrist. The pocket watches are mostly railroad quality, like Hamilton, Waltham, and Elgin. The wrist watches are from 40's through 60's., some inherited from my Dad. I love the mechanics of watches and would never wear an electronic watch like a quartz or apple watch. My daily beater is a Rolex Datejust. That beast is magnificent and keeps time to within a second or two per month. Service can be expensive but you certainly get what you pay for with Rolex.

Back
Top Bottom