Wasaga Beach | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Wasaga Beach

Could hear the burnouts all damn night. Sound carries well there so could’ve been at the Walmart lot (2km away) or at the strip about 4km away.
Outside of that perfect weekend with the family. 30 years of going up and finally stopped at the big pumpkin ranch between Elmvale and Wasaga. Kids loved it.

Could hear the burnouts all damn night. Sound carries well there so could’ve been at the Walmart lot (2km away) or at the strip about 4km away.
Outside of that perfect weekend with the family. 30 years of going up and finally stopped at the big pumpkin ranch between Elmvale and Wasaga. Kids loved it.
Rounds ranch? Picked up a 130lb pumpkin there yesterday.

Rounds ranch? Picked up a 130lb pumpkin there yesterday.
Yowza! Yes that’s where we were today. Met up with some friends from Alliston and then hung out for a few hours. Roasted my bald head good :(

I wouldn't be calling Wasaga Beach a dump...can't buy anything for under $500,000, not even a falling down shack.

Beachfront properties are one million to start.

The main beach is about to undergo a transformation into a more modern look All those beachfront stores including the Dard are about to go bye bye.

The comments in the Wasaga Beach Groups are pure gold today...those damn kids and their cars.

The old Boomers are drinking scotch today figuring out more places to put speed bumps...they literally speed-bumped the whole town in anticipation of this event. I'm not joking, there are speed bumps going into and out of every parking lot and some are right in the middle of the road!

The guy formerly known as Mladin.

I wouldn't be calling Wasaga Beach a dump...can't buy anything for under $500,000, not even a falling down shack.

Beachfront properties are one million to start.

The main beach is about to undergo a transformation into a more modern look All those beachfront stores including the Dard are about to go bye bye.

The comments in the Wasaga Beach Groups are pure gold today...those damn kids and their cars.

The old Boomers are drinking scotch today figuring out more places to put speed bumps...they literally speed-bumped the whole town in anticipation of this event. I'm not joking, there are speed bumps going into and out of every parking lot and some are right in the middle of the road!

The guy formerly known as Mladin.
Funny....I didn't see a single one the entire weekend. I guess we weren't in the cool spots then.

It's about too? They have been saying that since 2011. Can't find a developer to take an interest.

It's about too? They have been saying that since 2011. Can't find a developer to take an interest.
I’ve heard of redevelopment of that area since 2011. Something about the owners not wanting to sell causing the fire....people being caught or something like that following the big fire.

Wasn't the nicest place 20 years ago when I used to go up there regularly but, it was a different time and I have some great memories. I haven't been in years but have heard it's in a sad state now.

My gf's daughter went up yesterday morning and had planned to spend the weekend, she facetimed us as she was getting ready to leave within an hour of getting there. She was freaked out and I couldn't believe what I was seeing, as if no one told these kids about the pandemic. She half jokingly said she could smell the covid in the air.
We were camping at the Pinery about a month ago and chose to not walk around Grand Bend because it was nuts. Wall to wall people at the beach, on the sidewalks etc. I think we counted 3 couples with masks. Ignore those and it was like it was 2019 and no Covid.

We did our usual Pizza Delight take out back to the trailer and I hit their LCBO masked up and snagged some gin.

Love a beach town and enjoy snagging some junk food and walking and doing our "people watching". We enjoy Port Dover, Turkey Point, Grand Bend and Wasaga. We stayed up at Wasaga last summer with my brother in law in tow at a trailer resort. We had a blast and he got lots of swims in the lake and at the park we stayed in. Our plan was to go back but the darn Covid has messed everything up.

Wasaga is a little rough around the edges but oddly enough that provides some charm and authenticity to us. Sort of like Playa Del Carmen 20 years ago before it was so redeveloped for the cruise ships with every luxury store you see at every other resort town. We miss the hole in the wall stores, restaurants, and watering holes we used to frequent. Oh well...

Wasaga may well get some major redevelopment at some point but I hope it doesn't lose its identity.

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

understood.

just saying, I don't see it happening anytime "soon"

I believe Collingwood market will be hot for the next 2 years at least. Likely more.

I was talking to an out of towner a week ago and he indicated people were having problems getting full mortgages and insurance on properties that were bought well above market value. The money suppliers are wary of downturns.

It all depends on how you want to or can wait. Houses in some parts of Hamilton have tripled in a dozen years. Will they triple again in another twelve?

Cottages took a hammering a couple of decades back when people had to decide if they wanted to keep the house or not. A long recession and double digit interest rates did the damage.

I see Collingwood as having golf and ski money. Wasaga, a one season beach getaway, quite liveable but a long wait for it to get snob appeal.

Totally biased opinion but I was speaking with our realtor friend and she said cottages are going gangbusters right now. Can’t keep them on the market long enough if the price is right.

If they really wanted to curb these events. Lots of roadblocks, herd them up, ministry guys doing safety checks and emission checks. Hand out the big fines for emissions and tow away for safety violations. Just looking at the pictures, many of the cars have obvious violations. Do that and the word will get out fast.... they may not care about COVID and they want to be "rebels", so hit their rides--they care about that.

As for Wasaga, the general surrounding area was and still is very stereotypical rural "white trash" (for lack of a better term). Fancy pants people have been moving in with wealth displacing them, driving up the prices etc.. There have been lots of issues with the culture clashes.

Last edited:
If they really wanted to curb these events. Lots of roadblocks, herd them up, ministry guys doing safety checks and emission checks. Hand out the big fines for emissions and tow away for safety violations. Just looking at the pictures, many of the cars have obvious violations. Do that and the word will get out fast.... they may not care about COVID and they want to be "rebels", so hit their rides--they care about that.

As for Wasaga, the general surrounding area was and still is very stereotypical rural "white trash" (for lack of a better term). Fancy pants people have been moving in with wealth displacing them, driving up the prices etc.. There have been lots of issues with the culture clashes.
Since a lot of the cars came from quebec, getting their car impounded would be a huge inconvenience.

Some of the participants are already beating their chests and saying that they cant be stopped and they will be back next year. It wouldnt have been hard to find legitimate violations on most of the cars that attended this year and they would get the message that they arent welcome back.

The senior town planner for Wasaga is a good friend, their time in the sun is coming. Slowly but its coming
Collingwood prices have gone to the moon, Midland Penetang got stupid, the gentrification will be slower but its coming. The 'Wasaga locals' will be pushed out of the real estate market slowly, just like the billionaires pushed the millionaires off Lake Joe.

I keep telling my parents the time to sell is now. But now they changed their mind and don’t want to sell anymore.

I keep telling my parents the time to sell is now. But now they changed their mind and don’t want to sell anymore.
Well if they want to keep it for another decade, they may do well. If the window is now or in the next year or two, I would have sold now as you will get more money and an easier sale.

there is "almost" never a bad time to sell a cottage, sure we had some hiccups with 17% mortgages, but it was short lived, and we had a couple dips over the last couple decades but it always comes back.
My guess is with anybody in apartement space, or condo space or even a smaller subdivision home will be looking for some place to be. Sit in a yard and for those that can work from anywhere, they will be doing it less from downtown T.O.

We are seeing a really weird wave where people in Hamilton are cashing out and moving west of Brant because people from Mississauga want in. Beamsville folks are cashing out and heading to Ft Erie. Same thing is starting where Barrie is cashing out and going north to Wasaga or Perkinsfield or any town where the equity buys them an ok place , and some bucks left over.

there is "almost" never a bad time to sell a cottage, sure we had some hiccups with 17% mortgages, but it was short lived, and we had a couple dips over the last couple decades but it always comes back.
My guess is with anybody in apartement space, or condo space or even a smaller subdivision home will be looking for some place to be. Sit in a yard and for those that can work from anywhere, they will be doing it less from downtown T.O.

We are seeing a really weird wave where people in Hamilton are cashing out and moving west of Brant because people from Mississauga want in. Beamsville folks are cashing out and heading to Ft Erie. Same thing is starting where Barrie is cashing out and going north to Wasaga or Perkinsfield or any town where the equity buys them an ok place , and some bucks left over.
Barrie is ridiculous right now. I expect the same for the other "affordable" burbs. Houses under 600 are attracting 10+ offers and selling for 10%+ above asking. My wife was talking to some people trying to buy and it is like toronto a few years ago where you get demoralized because everything you think you can afford, you cant.

rents are dropping in TO and people are in position to ask for discounts, because there are other places to move to. It would be a lousy time to be a condo holder with multiple units unless your in the long game and rent is actually covering costs.
I'd suspect as the migration form the town core to the burbs and beyond, and even the condo dwellers that are already in the 'burbs will be looking for a square of peace and quiet, cottages are going to see high demand.
If you need your home to now include a home office, maybe two, and your paying a condo fee for a gym you cant use and a sauna thats been shut for months, you'll be plotting your escape.

Barrie is ridiculous right now. I expect the same for the other "affordable" burbs. Houses under 600 are attracting 10+ offers and selling for 10%+ above asking. My wife was talking to some people trying to buy and it is like toronto a few years ago where you get demoralized because everything you think you can afford, you cant.

One of our options in the past was to sell our Toronto home and with the proceeds buy two in Barrie. Live in one and rent out the other. Now we could only buy one and a half, if that.

Back
Top Bottom