Video games and an unrewarding life | Page 9 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Video games and an unrewarding life

Status
Not open for further replies.
Don't feedback loop the boomer stereotype.
There you go with the "boomer" crap again. It's always someone else with you.
NO. You are your problem. Change something about yourself and stop blaming everything and everyone around you. Your job, your play, something.
And i mean this in the most constructive way.

Your posts are often narcissistic, have you ever looked at the definition?

Narcissism: Symptoms and Signs
Seems more like bipolar disorder to me.

I'm irreplaceable.
I'm an overachiever.

--------------------------------------------

I don't care if the roof collapses on me.

On the videogame side of this discussion.

My take: As a kid, I felt like I accomplished something when I say, put 80 hours into Final Fantasy 7. Then you've done all you can in the game.. its finished. You've actually accomplished nothing. The quickest way to get that feeling back is to start another game and repeat the process.

Look at how hooked people got to world of warcraft. They kept adding more content. I know people that lost their jobs because of that game. A friends brother working for Toyota in Alliston almost got canned for skipping work to play WOW.

Its harder to accomplish real life goals, so some get sucked into that virtual world...

Sent from my SM-G903W using Tapatalk

I know this wasn't said in earnest, and it would be in bad faith to object to it as such. However it's a common sentiment here - nobody is immune to depression. I struggle with it myself and I probably will be dealing with it forever

That is a whole can of worms you're opening there. I'm not speaking for others, but I can give you an advance summary - many of us have read it, few of us really liked it. The story presented about making a shim for a loose handlebar stayed with me, but I did not gain a lasting appreciation for the "Metaphysics of Quality"
Some of us have read it more than once. I think I finally got it on the third read.

Edit again: I've also repeatedly said I'm a leader. This isn't bragging: I hate leadership because it implies everything that goes wrong is my fault but it's exactly that reason that gets me promoted at every gig. It's as @Matt Rain wrote...what I want and what I end up doing clash.
If your posts are any indication...you're not a leader. Boss? sure... tyrant? maybe.

But IIRC your previous posts had you ripping into newer staff to 'toughen them up' or whatnot (I'm not going to go back), but I do not believe in any way that (according to your posts) you have the qualities of a 'leader'.

You said yourself you're good at your job, great. But being good at your job does not translate into good leadership.

But I don't know poop. I have 2 managers. One is awesome, one is a useless twat that knows nothing except how to be a manager. Once **** hits the fan, it's now my problem...with a great email from him 'let me know how I can support'...that's not a leader. That's a manager/tyrant/boss (depending on his mood).

Most great leaders don’t usually need to tell you how great they are at the whole “leadering“ thing unless they are about to serve you some funny tainted orange koolaid before the aliens come and take you away to nirvana or they weren’t beaten enough as children and told “no”.

General observation.

Edit:

Also…massive difference between “I am a great leader” and “Am I a great leader?”. Those stating the first might get very different answers to the second.

Last edited:
Most great leaders don’t usually need to tell you how great they are at the whole “leadering“ thing unless they are about to serve you some funny tainted orange koolaid before the aliens come and take you away to nirvana or they weren’t beaten enough as children and told “no”.

General observation.

Edit:

Also…massive difference between “I am a great leader” and “Am I a great leader?”. Those stating the first might get very different answers to the second.
I was told many times. Also work asked us to do a personality thing recently...and it literally says it on my profile.

If your posts are any indication...you're not a leader. Boss? sure... tyrant? maybe.

But IIRC your previous posts had you ripping into newer staff to 'toughen them up' or whatnot (I'm not going to go back), but I do not believe in any way that (according to your posts) you have the qualities of a 'leader'.

You said yourself you're good at your job, great. But being good at your job does not translate into good leadership.

But I don't know poop. I have 2 managers. One is awesome, one is a useless twat that knows nothing except how to be a manager. Once **** hits the fan, it's now my problem...with a great email from him 'let me know how I can support'...that's not a leader. That's a manager/tyrant/boss (depending on his mood).
Software dev speed and competence is tied to IQ. I've had teammates who were hired due to connections and not merit. Every developer needs to run through a sanity check test (leetcode.com) because this isn't trainable. Because dev work is black magic to non devs, it's very easy for a **** developer to get hired at companies without an established software team because they can ******** with key words.

The situation above results in me taking over by force until someone is fired (aka. get tasks done, no mercy.)

Outside of these situations, I'm able to rapidly identify ppl's strengths and weaknesses and allocate work accordingly. Because I end up in architecture roles, I get an holistic system perspective as well. Couple this with my ability to make personal connections rapidly by being extremely open, thereby encouraging others to be the same way, I end up gaining their respect, and learn of problems way before hand.

There's a lot more...my posts here didn't highlight the above cause my problem wasn't "I can't lead", t was "ppl are being ********." And yes, it's a iterative cycle involving feedback and improvements because even if I am confident, there's infinite room for learning.

Seems more like bipolar disorder to me.

I'm irreplaceable.
I'm an overachiever.

--------------------------------------------

I don't care if the roof collapses on me.

On the videogame side of this discussion.

My take: As a kid, I felt like I accomplished something when I say, put 80 hours into Final Fantasy 7. Then you've done all you can in the game.. its finished. You've actually accomplished nothing. The quickest way to get that feeling back is to start another game and repeat the process.

Look at how hooked people got to world of warcraft. They kept adding more content. I know people that lost their jobs because of that game. A friends brother working for Toyota in Alliston almost got canned for skipping work to play WOW.

Its harder to accomplish real life goals, so some get sucked into that virtual world...

Sent from my SM-G903W using Tapatalk

It's PTSD-C.

And rmb this isn't about video games ******* up lives because vast majority of good devs I know are or were gamers (even my 50+ year old managers who tell me stories of connecting computers to play Doom or Quake); this is more about the state of the world, our rising suicide rates (it's higher than cancer, think ranked 10/15), and why ppl would want to escape said reality through gaming.

If gaming becomes an addiction, it's not much different than alcohol, weed, gambling, and other addictions. There's usually something the person is running from.

I was told many times. Also work asked us to do a personality thing recently...and it literally says it on my profile.

Software dev speed and competence is tied to IQ. I've had teammates who were hired due to connections and not merit. Every developer needs to run through a sanity check test (leetcode.com) because this isn't trainable. Because dev work is black magic to non devs, it's very easy for a **** developer to get hired at companies without an established software team because they can ******** with key words.

The situation above results in me taking over by force until someone is fired (aka. get tasks done, no mercy.)

Outside of these situations, I'm able to rapidly identify ppl's strengths and weaknesses and allocate work accordingly. Because I end up in architecture roles, I get an holistic system perspective as well. Couple this with my ability to make personal connections rapidly by being extremely open, thereby encouraging others to be the same way, I end up gaining their respect, and learn of problems way before hand.

There's a lot more...my posts here didn't highlight the above cause my problem wasn't "I can't lead", t was "ppl are being ********." And yes, it's a iterative cycle involving feedback and improvements because even if I am confident, there's infinite room for learning.
A discussion on leadership is a bit weird in a video game thread of a motorcycling forum.

In a quick face to face interview I can tell whether a person will be a leader or a boss, or neither. I've never seen it done any other way.

I can tell you that leaders rarely need to sell themselves, even in job interviews.

Ok. I’ll take your word for it as I don’t understand that world and its ‘black magic’ to me. Just going by your posts.

Anyway I hope you find peace in whatever you do. All the best.

A discussion on leadership is a bit weird in a video game thread of a motorcycling forum.

In a quick face to face interview I can tell whether a person will be a leader or a boss, or neither. I've never seen it done any other way.

I can tell you that leaders rarely need to sell themselves, even in job interviews.
I somehow managed to get into a management role with this most recent promotion. While I’m enjoying it I am learning to delegate instead of ‘I’ll just do it myself’ and so far so good.

So far only 1 direct report with 2 more indirect and I’m trying to have open communication where we evaluate one another as we are both learning. Will see how it goes.

Ok. I’ll take your word for it as I don’t understand that world and its ‘black magic’ to me. Just going by your posts.

Anyway I hope you find peace in whatever you do. All the best.

Thanks, to you as well...though replace peace with happiness.

I don't in interviews. Because you're right, they read into it. I cannot, however, reveal to teammates I feel like a broken sack of **** 90% of the time that's underperforming lol. The lead should always support, and never ask for support; personal mantra.

You guys read most of that **** and I set myself up for false assumptions by sharing incomplete information which sets up the feedback loop that you've engaged with me for months =P

Last edited:
Then stop the loop kiddo. You are the one looking for feedback with your posts. Seem to not like the answers.

You can't follow someone who is not a leader. I don't care to be so I am not. You seem to think you are but in all your posts you seem a bit needy and definitely full of yourself. For me that would be a terrible head of anything.

Feedback loop, is this a new term in social media? I only know this term from electronics. Keep same input, create a loop, and it will feedback on itself. Easy enough to fix.

Then stop the loop kiddo. You are the one looking for feedback with your posts. Seem to not like the answers.

You can't follow someone who is not a leader. I don't care to be so I am not. You seem to think you are but in all your posts you seem a bit needy and definitely full of yourself. For me that would be a terrible head of anything.

Feedback loop, is this a new term in social media? I only know this term from electronics. Keep same input, create a loop, and it will feedback on itself. Easy enough to fix.

Reread this post.

Imagine if you woke up everyday with so much anxiety/dread you want the roof to collapse. Then there's the push: "Get up, and push you weak sack of ****." So you get out of bed, and push. Over time, you look around and realize how many people are slower and weaker than you are. But you still wake up with the same anxiety/dread.

Now amplify this to everything you do: no matter how far you push, it is never enough.
"Code faster, you're slow as ****."
"You think you make a lot of money? You don't."

Everyone else sees you as the clown; they like telling you their problems, and you make friends quickly. Then when you're alone, you look in the mirror, and still hate that underperforming sack of **** even though that's not true. Nobody has a ******* clue that pure rage and self hatred has been your fuel for years because you just smile it off.

How many ppl have you met like the above? I know quite a few; I am one of them.

And no about feedback loop and social media, I learned feedback loop (outside of software dev) from watching Jordan Peterson, Dr.K and other psych videos.

EDIT: Predicted response to the above is an oversimplified "get help" by a bunch of you who don't know better lol

Last edited:
Reread this post.

Imagine if you woke up everyday with so much anxiety/dread you want the roof to collapse. Then there's the push: "Get up, and push you weak sack of ****." So you get out of bed, and push. Over time, you look around and realize how many people are slower and weaker than you are. But you still wake up with the same anxiety/dread.

Now amplify this to everything you do: no matter how far you push, it is never enough.
"Code faster, you're slow as ****."
"You think you make a lot of money?"

Everyone else sees you as the clown; they like telling you their problems, and you make friends quickly. Then when you're alone, you look in the mirror, and still hate that underperforming sack of **** even though that's not true. Nobody has a ******* clue that pure rage and self hatred has been your fuel for years because you just smile it off.

How many ppl have you met like the above? I know quite a few; I am one of them.

And no about feedback loop and social media, I learned feedback loop (outside of software dev) from watching Jordan Peterson, Dr.K and other psych videos.

I think you need to:
1. Realize that you have the same internal feelings as many, many non-couch-potato men
2. Smoke a fattie once in awhile and spend more time in nature.
3. Realize that life can be much too short. Enjoy it every day even if it is for only a few minutes.
4. Take my advice with a grain of salt and also try your best to see things from the 10,000 foot level.

Is GTAM your only outlet? If it is, then you are in the wrong place. Professional help will try to put you in the right place. This thread is done. You just keep going around in circles.
This is a motorcycle forum.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom