VFR800 Ins Issues? Sport Bike? | GTAMotorcycle.com

VFR800 Ins Issues? Sport Bike?

VT1100

Hey guys,

Wondering if anyone insures a VFR800 with a company that doesn't treat it as a sports bike.

Having some trouble getting the rate I'm comfortable with. Or maybe I'm just crazy.

Grimsby area, 29y.o, licensed since 2013, no tickets, collisions etc and looking at $1,500 a year.

Allstate, TD, MM, M&W, Riders Plus are all considering it a sport bike.

I thought people bought these bikes for the insurance rates! Am I missing something?

Hey guys,

Wondering if anyone insures a VFR800 with a company that doesn't treat it as a sports bike.

Having some trouble getting the rate I'm comfortable with. Or maybe I'm just crazy.

Grimsby area, 29y.o, licensed since 2013, no tickets, collisions etc and looking at $1,500 a year.

I thought people bought these bikes for the insurance rates! Am I missing something?
try @NFP Moto

$1,500 doesn't sound too bad depending on your personal situation. Comfortable rate in Ontario? Lol, good one!

I had mine insured with riders plus/echelon, full coverage was 1300ish. They didn't consider it a sport bike though, it came up as sport touring then.

3 years ago I was paying $988/Year for my 2000 VFR800. This year it's just under $1300/year. No accidents. No tickets.

I've been riding for well over a decade and I'm almost 40. I am currently with Echelon.

You can try Mitchel&Whale. They quoted me this year around $800/year but it was bare minimum liability only insurance so I passed on it.

Regarding the classification of our bikes, yeah they are sport-touring bikes but the insurance companies don't care. All my VFR's were insured as sport bikes :(

EDIT: Nevermind. I'm assuming the M&W in your original post is Mitchel&Whale.

Hey guys,

the VFR is a sport bike.... but its not a RESTRICTED / BLACKLISTED sport bike like Gixxer or Ninja ZX6R. That rate has more to do with you being 29 yrs old. You will see another rate drop at age 30.

I have hearing the same chatter on vfr forums , that suddenly insurance companies have blacklisted vfr800 and are considering it a sport bike.
Mine is insured with thepersonal (Desjardins). Try them. I am paying around 800 per year.

the VFR is a sport bike.... but its not a RESTRICTED / BLACKLISTED sport bike like Gixxer or Ninja ZX6R. That rate has more to do with you being 29 yrs old. You will see another rate drop at age 30.
It seems it's been blacklisted recently, I am part of Ontario vfr forums and guys there in 60s are not able to insure vfrs anymore due to recent re classification.

Similar age and I also got a similar price

1500 - 2500 / year full comp

It seems it's been blacklisted recently, I am part of Ontario vfr forums and guys there in 60s are not able to insure vfrs anymore due to recent re classification.
Not here. NO SURCHARGE on Honda VFR800s.... the rates are the same as a Honda Shadow VT750. That being said, some insurance companies did restrict the VFR1200 a few years back for no reason (makes no sense), but not all companies. NFP Moto is an insurance BROKER so we can compare rates for you and find you the best fit for your bike - moto@nfp.com

As much as it sucks, I'm glad to know it's not just me!

I've been told by The Cooperators that it's blacklisted by them.

Seems like I'm down to Allstate and NFP!

Just gonna have to see where Iand with both.

As much as it sucks, I'm glad to know it's not just me!

I've been told by The Cooperators that it's blacklisted by them.

Seems like I'm down to Allstate and NFP!

Just gonna have to see where Iand with both.

I feel ya. Insurance in this province is a real scam at times. I do hope you find something affordable.

Let us know how NFP works out. If It's a great rate I might contact them too.

At the moment it seems the only way other insurance companies can give me a lower rate is if they basically treat it as a hunk of junk and can only offer Liability only. :confused:

On the brighter side, what year is your Viffer? Post a pic? ?

Back
Top Bottom