Varadero vs VSTROM | GTAMotorcycle.com

Varadero vs VSTROM

Mikel

Hope this is an appropriate place to put this. I'm thinking of getting off my DRZ-400SM and onto something meant for cross Canada adventuring. Just can't quite decide between the two. The Honda will be a 2008 and will end up costing $1000 or so more than the Vstrom. The Honda's fit and finish is better than the Suzuk's but at what cost? The Suzuki is lighter, cheaper, probably a little quicker due to weight. It's such a coin toss. I also considered all street oriented light tourer's like the FZ1, VFR800 or even Bandit 1250. All I know is that I end up buying a new bike every 2 years and have to cure my addiction. Anybody have thoughts, opinions?

The V-Strom 1000
24335_0_1_2_v-strom%201000_Image%20credits%20-%20Suzuki.jpg

vs
Honda Varadero
2009-Honda-Varadero1.jpg

Last edited:
Since you posted this in the Dirt/DualSport section, do you have any intention of taking either of these bikes offroad? The VStrom (especially the 1000) is not really suitable for that role, despite the styling and marketing. They're great on gravel and hard packed dirt, but they're still essentially street bikes. I don't have any experience with the Varadero in this regard.

Additionally, have you considered the 650 VStrom? Quite a few people prefer it over the 1000, and it'll save you even more cash over the Varadero. Even the 650 will be a big step up in power over the DRZ

^^ and the 650 is better on gas, handles better and has space for a tool tube where the other pipe would normally go. It performs well as a 2up bike too...

I used to buy a new bike every season until last 2008. I bought the V-Strom 650 and doubt I'll buy another long distance bike for many years. I sat on the Varadero and liked that the V-Strom was smaller and felt much more compact, even though it's still a large bike. I would tend to think that aftermarket options/support is greater on the V-Strom due to it's popularity.
While the V-Strom is an ugly bike, the Varadero might just be even moreso..

2008-Honda-Varadero-XL1000VAg.jpg

What year would you buy for the Strom?

Last edited:
I currently ride the DRZ with SM wheels on dirt roads and paved twisties. My intention for one of these beasts is crunching miles and getting the most out of every tank of gas and every MM of tread. I crave power, I use to own various 600cc crotch rockets and have a rough idea of what their top speeds were. I spend almost all my free time ogling over a new bike. I know both these things are ugly in once sense yet so appealing in another.

I was quoted roughly $12,000 from Suzuki of Newmarket for 2010 Vstrom 1000 non SE.

The V-strom - both the 650 and the 1000 - are shockingly competant motorcycles. I have a soft spot for the 650, since that's what I used to have - and I miss that bike dearly.

But the thing about the stroms, from my perspective anyway, is that they don't have a whole lot of soul, and looks-wise, they're an acquired taste. If a motorcycle is an emotional machine to you, then the stroms could fall a little flat.

I moved from the 650 strom to an FZ1 - one of the other bikes on your shortlist. Once I gave up the pretention of dirt, the FZ1 hit all the right notes for me. Having toured on both the 650 and the FZ1, there are times on the FZ1 that I found myself really, really wishing I was on the 650.

If you crave power, as you say, then you're looking at the DL1000 at least - and then you're not really getting soul-sucking power. Certainly not SS style power. But the TL-derived engine with it's gear driven cams is pretty cool...

Thanks for the insight Oomis. I know what you mean about SS power, there really is no substitute for it. I took a Varadero for a test ride today and it was rather enjoyable. Very smooth comfortable bike. It was a bit heavy when you put your foot down at the lights. I'm 6" and 180 lbs and found the ergonomics of the bike to suit me just fine. Had it up to possibly 170 without any troubles, beyond that I think you gotta flog it because from what I've read it basically tops out at 220km/hr without any extra bagage on it. I have yet to ride the FZ1, cause there are so few demo's or demo days for it. A 2008 Varadero and a 2010 FZ1 basically cost the same thing out the door, just short of $14,000. I also should try the suzuki 1000 but in the looks department it is a big miss for me. The Varadero simple has more quality and looks more polished/finished or just complete than the suzuki does.

Right now I feel I'm at a place where I may want to wake up at 6am and just go out for a ride and come home 12 hours later. I don't know if the FZ1 would offer that kind of ease and comfort.

have you considered a Triumph Tiger? since your looking for a 1000cc adventure tourer.

dealersite%2Fimages%2Fnewvehicles%2F2010%2Fnv154548_1.jpg

Canon vs Nikon

This debate seems to be like the Canon vs Nikon one.
I am too thinking about a Strom or a Varadero.
In my opinion, Honda is shooting itself in the leg with the stupid idea of Powerhouse. Only authorized dealer is Honda itself.
According to what I read so far the 650 Strom is better handling then the 1000 since it's center of gravity is lower etc. For dual riding the 1000 has more power and bigger gas tank, obviously the 650 has better mileage.

I rode the Varedaro yesterday at Parkway Powerhouse demo ride. I was very pleased with my riding position. Found it very nimble on the turns. Will be giving it consideration when it comes time to purchase the next bike.

I bought the Varadero. Overall I felt It was my best choice, test rode a lot of bikes. I bought mine from Dewildt Honda $11,500 out the door on a 2008 model. So far I have 500km on it and enjoy it a lot. I plan on spending a few thousand in upgrades just waiting for the money tree to regrow.

one season of riding are you still pleased with the Varadero? I am in the same vote right now trying to make a decision....Dewildt still has a few and I was planning on making a trip out that way to have a better look. It seems like Honda had a hard time selling this bike. Where are you looking at getting your upgrades/accessories? I can't seem to find nearly as many as the V-Strom offerings.

I currently ride the DRZ with SM wheels on dirt roads and paved twisties. My intention for one of these beasts is crunching miles and getting the most out of every tank of gas and every MM of tread. I crave power, I use to own various 600cc crotch rockets and have a rough idea of what their top speeds were. I spend almost all my free time ogling over a new bike. I know both these things are ugly in once sense yet so appealing in another.

The Vstrom. I have enough friends who own and rave about them that they could start their own user group. One friend rode a Varadero, but sold it on. And the 650 is the better bike, Willie hated the fuel mileage on his DL1000.

For gravel roads and some forest access dual track, you'd have no problems, just don't ride either bike offload unless you have a strong riding partner.

Crap, I got so worked up.I didn"they read the thread to find it was too late! :D

Last edited:
The V-strom - both the 650 and the 1000 - are shockingly competant motorcycles. I have a soft spot for the 650, since that's what I used to have - and I miss that bike dearly.

But the thing about the stroms, from my perspective anyway, is that they don't have a whole lot of soul, and looks-wise, they're an acquired taste. If a motorcycle is an emotional machine to you, then the stroms could fall a little flat.

I moved from the 650 strom to an FZ1 - one of the other bikes on your shortlist. Once I gave up the pretention of dirt, the FZ1 hit all the right notes for me. Having toured on both the 650 and the FZ1, there are times on the FZ1 that I found myself really, really wishing I was on the 650.

If you crave power, as you say, then you're looking at the DL1000 at least - and then you're not really getting soul-sucking power. Certainly not SS style power. But the TL-derived engine with it's gear driven cams is pretty cool...

Huh. This thread really came back from the dead. Interestingly, since my past post in this thread, I picked up a DL1000, and put 25,000 kms on it.

I have no regrets. The DL1000 is a fantastic bike. Out of the box, the DL650 is better, but it doesn't take much tweaking for the DL1000 to really, really shine. I mean, really shine. Top of the list is a fork brace and fuelling changes (either a Yosh or Power Commander). I still have the FZ1, for now, but I think the DL1000 gets a bad reputation for unfair reasons. Fully sorted out, the DL1000 is better in every way that matters to me than the 650. And speaking from personal experience, the fuel economy is pretty much the same, especially when you are talking about highway speeds.

Yes, the DL1000 i down a bucket of horsepower on the FZ1, but that's power that gets me into serious trouble very quickly anyway.

I'm pretty sure the FZ1 is going up for sale shortly. It'll be an amazing pickup for whoever snags it, but I think at 6'4", I'm too tall for the bike.

Back
Top Bottom