Valve stem replacement? | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Valve stem replacement?

Read post #9 before offering advice.
and what is he touching the valve stem or the valve core?

If the stem is cracked It's ****** and the tire has to come off so get on er.

and what is he touching the valve stem or the valve core?

If the stem is cracked It's ****** and the tire has to come off so get on er.
Exactly. Reading the entire thread helps

The reason they fit 90's is so centrifugal forces don't make the weight of the valve core release are when you spin it up super fast, do you plan on spinning it up super fast?

Wow Ric, Go riding will you please.

The reason they fit 90's is so centrifugal forces don't make the weight of the valve core release are when you spin it up super fast, do you plan on spinning it up super fast?
Its to make it easily accessible for an air line. It can be pretty tight around brake discs. You must have similar clearance with the front wheel on your MV?

Much easier at 90°.

And yes, Rick needs to get out. Its understandable and commendable why it doesn't happen.

Sent from my SM-G903W using Tapatalk

All of my Ducati's since 2000 have included a 90 degree valve stem for the front, and a straight valve stem for the rear. I would think if this is the reason, then they would include the same on both ends? I've always believed it was for convenience as others have mentioned, to clear the front brake discs.

Couple of suggestions:

- before breaking the bead, mark a spot on the tire that aligns with the valve stem if the factory one is worn off, and make sure they line up when you're done so you don't have to re-balance

- unless you have really soft sidewalls and the tire is warm, you might have to remove the tire from the rim to get to the valve stem. Also, depending on which style bent valve stem you go with, some require a nut to be tightened on the inside of the rim. Others can be pulled through just like the straight ones, but don't look as nice.

- warm up the tires by keeping them indoors and then transport them in the cabin of your car, not the trunk, on your way to wherever you're going so the sidewall is easier to manipulate, or in case you need to use spoons to remove the tire from the rim

All of my Ducati's since 2000 have included a 90 degree valve stem for the front, and a straight valve stem for the rear. I would think if this is the reason, then they would include the same on both ends? I've always believed it was for convenience as others have mentioned, to clear the front brake discs.
Same here. All my ducs were the same. My 1800 goldwing had 90 stems with thick plastic supports to prevent you from bending the stem.

I'm in the Caledon-Brampton-Georgetown vicinity and I have a proper bead breaker that you can use (and an air compressor to seat the bead again afterward). Just get yourself and the wheel and the valve stem here. matt365 is in Gtown if that doesn't work out.

The metal 90 degree valve stems are great. Tip (and this is from Kawasaki) ... when you install a 90 degree valve stem, don't install it "aligned" (pointed straight out the side of the bike - either side). Install it at a 45-degree angle facing towards the right side of the bike. It's easier to get an air hose on it that way. My beastie came that way from Kawasaki.
Thanks. I'll keep it in mind. Sometimes I find myself having to go into the office at Dixie / Steeles so if I attempt this and get stuck, I'll let you know.

Last edited:
Next tire change won't be until next year, at least. The valve stem on the rear tire releases air as soon as I touch it. I figure it's a good idea to replace it sooner than later.
Replace it now. My z1000 was leaking a little when I touched the stem. Went to ad air one day and the entire stem came off in my hand as I undid the cap. Instant flat and wait for the wife and trailer.

Sent from my SM-A530W using Tapatalk

I need to replace the valve stems on my bike and I've decided to put on some fancy pants 90 degree ones. I don't have a means of breaking the bead on the tire, nor do I want to come up with some sort of contraption to do so.

I've seen a few videos of people using woodworking clamps to squeeze the tire where the stem is and manage to replace it that way.

Does that method actually work? What other methods are available?

Stop by...this will take 20mins to do . It is easier to pull the tire out and properly install the stem.
What bike is wheel from ? the sv or the blackbird?

It is possible to make your bead breaker, but trust me....it much easier going for that 30min drive then trying this yourself.

Replace it now. My z1000 was leaking a little when I touched the stem. Went to ad air one day and the entire stem came off in my hand as I undid the cap. Instant flat and wait for the wife and trailer.

Sent from my SM-A530W using Tapatalk

Whenever I swap tires...I always inspect the valve stems, even if they look 'a little dry' ...I just install new stems.
The new stems don't cost much, and come with new cores.

I Always replace valve cores with every tire swap. (cheap insurance)

I usually have the luxury of looking after bikes for a extended time span, if the bike is 2-3 yrs old, it gets new valve stems.
Often replace with shortly rubber stems (high level of relialibty and low cost)

These parts have low costs, but when they fail they have high impact. So why not prematurely replace them?

Last edited:
Stop by...this will take 20mins to do . It is easier to pull the tire out and properly install the stem.
What bike is wheel from ? the sv or the blackbird?

It is possible to make your bead breaker, but trust me....it much easier going for that 30min drive then trying this yourself.

It's for the blackbird. Ill attempt it myself soon and when that fails, I'll send you a message.

Back
Top Bottom